Spirit Forum thing followup

A pretty decent showing met in the Alumni room of the Cone Center with John George. Ninernation was represented by GSpotNiner, myself, Powerbait, Alexas and some other NN fellow I don’t know.

Issues brought up were the lack of publicity the school receives(we’re virtually unknown on the other side of the county), lack of “buzz” on campus, lack of tradition, and WFNZ ripping us.

Some ideas were brought up to increase school spirit:

1. Shine green lights on the Belk Tower the night of homegames. It could also serve as a rally point for a pep rally or an event of the sort. Pep rally’s could also be held on the quad in front of the Belk Gym.

2. Gold spirit bars. You go to a game, you get a bar. Similar to the way the military gives you bars for rank or whatever.

3. Ringing the bell at the games.

4. Who should we pick as our A-10 rivalry?

5. What name could we unify the entire student section(Greeks+Gangreen+104+200’s)? Some mentioned were the usual Gangreen, Ninernation. Someone also brought up the “Green Berets”. Fairly original.

Some more ideas were thrown on the table like giving shirts to the lower level for games so the entire section is green, but the budget inhibits that.

Those were the notes I took, and nothing much else is coming to mind. Someone mentioned that Sports Marketing should have one of these sessions with alumni. You can contact the president of SMA about that.

Nice to hear that there was a decent turnout. Maybe we could auction a CW headband to raise some funds :slight_smile:

Sounds good, just please no “Green Berets”. Let’s just keep it Niner Nation…

I’m with Mac on that one :stuck_out_tongue:

And in my opinion, you don’t “pick” a rivalry for the A-10. That’s nice in concept but rivalries are made on the court (or in the stands if it’s Cincy/Charlotte :lol: ). It will be interesting to see what rivalries we develop as time goes by. Xavier would be fun but we’ll never touch what they and Cincy have but I’m sure that after we kick butt in the A-10, a few schools will come to hate us. And then a rivalry can be born.

If Saint Louis could be consistently good, I could see a rivalry forming with them simply out of us both coming from C-USA.

I was the other Niner Nation guy there. John George came out of it really trying to stress the “we are Charlotte” thing and to wear green. Basically instead of people just getting excited about the “Cinci game”, get them excited about the “Charlotte games.” That seemed to be the biggest point he wanted to get out at the end.

The “Green Beret” idea, while original, doesn’t make the Charlotte 49ers stand out in any way. It could be any of the 50+ NCAA teams that have green in their colors(which is a problem with the Gang Green right now as PB pointed out). The name, whether Niner Nation or not, needs to incorporate our school and team specifically, not just our colors.

Another big point was the pep band. A lot of complaints about the same 4 songs and lack of a really upbeat, original song that will keep the crowd pumped through 30 second TOs and such(like apparently Wake Forest has, that was the example that was used). Please don’t shoot the messenger on this band people.

Personally I think the best idea that was put out there was the green lights on the Belk tower on game nights, that was really original and would be something to let everyone know it’s gameday.

[i]Originally posted by CMack124[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 11:02 PM [b] Personally I think the best idea that was put out there was the green lights on the Belk tower on game nights, that was really original and would be something to let everyone know it's gameday. [/b]
this used to be done. at least partially during some gamedays between 97 and 00. Couldn't give you an exact count or which games it was for... but I distinctly remember walking by the tower multiple nights on the way to games and it was green. No idea why it stopped, but I don't remember it during my senior year or during grad school. :/

The funny thing is they created the effect by just wrapping the lights with green seran wrap from one of the cafeterias :slight_smile: Seems like something anyone could do (as long as they didn’t get caught doing it).

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 11:56 PM [b]I'm with Mac on that one :P

And in my opinion, you don’t “pick” a rivalry for the A-10. That’s nice in concept but rivalries are made on the court (or in the stands if it’s Cincy/Charlotte :lol: ). It will be interesting to see what rivalries we develop as time goes by. Xavier would be fun but we’ll never touch what they and Cincy have but I’m sure that after we kick butt in the A-10, a few schools will come to hate us. And then a rivalry can be born.

If Saint Louis could be consistently good, I could see a rivalry forming with them simply out of us both coming from C-USA.[/b]

Part of the rivalry thing was getting across the point to get people excited about NINER games, not about the Cinci, Memphis, Xavier, Dayton, ect game, but to get people excited about going to NINER games.

Yes, a rival will form eventually and it will be a bigger game than the rest of them, the point is to try to get people excited about coming to a 49er game period, not just a rivalry game.

AGGHH! i had to work tonight, i really wanted to come to the meeting. big thanks to those of you who showed up and shared opinions and ideas!

we should pick one of the closer schools to be our rival so we could travel… Ohh wait there wont be any close games Bad example

I think we should have the whole lower bowl in more of brighter green, NOT FOREST GREEN LIKE THE NINERNATION AND GANG GREEN T-SHIRTS. Honestly, those GG shirts looked to dull on TV. We need brighter shirts or even white shirts with green writing like Michigan State had tonight. :slight_smile:

Richmond and GW are pretty damn close.

Like CUSA games are really within driving distance, hell Richmond probably isn’t much further than ECU. GW will actually be closer than our next closest road game in CUSA I believe, especially with NLP driving.

I mean, I know making those roadtrips to Memphis, UAB, Marquette and Depaul were no big deal, and it was just a hop skip and a jump to SLU, but we’ll have so games not so far away.

I’m really not sold on the We are, Charlotte chant that they want us to push. That’s great for Marquette and DePaul, but I would like to be able to come up with something distinct. Whatever happens, it’s good to see that things are really going on around campus. Sad I wont be here to see it all bear fruit, but I’m glad to know I could watch our student section become such a force after all it has gone through.

The fraternities, gang green and campers are all on the same page now, it’s great. I love it, now if we can all just get people in the seats, wearing green and screaming like crazy. I can honestly say that basketball will be the #1 I miss when I leave charlotte.

how about adopting “charlotte’s own” rick flair–“whooooooooo” everytime we nail a three pointer, it sounds lame but trust me it would catch on quick and be awesome. i only say this because i used to go watch dejuan wagner (memphis) (nba-cavs) play in high school and the crowd would do it everytime he hit a three and it sounded awesome, with a conference change we are due for chanting upgrades, “we are charlotte” is as gay as of a chant as there is, we should never say that as a crowd,

p.s. whooooooooooooooooo…

with NLP driving any A10 school is within an hour or two drive

[i]Originally posted by Anborn[/i]@Jan 27 2005, 11:05 PM [b] this used to be done. at least partially during some gamedays between 97 and 00. Couldn't give you an exact count or which games it was for... but I distinctly remember walking by the tower multiple nights on the way to games and it was green. No idea why it stopped, but I don't remember it during my senior year or during grad school. :/

The funny thing is they created the effect by just wrapping the lights with green seran wrap from one of the cafeterias :slight_smile: Seems like something anyone could do (as long as they didn’t get caught doing it). [/b]

They also used actual 49er logo stencil projections to cast a green image of our logo on to the tower/buildings. Always thought that was pretty cool but I don’t recall seeing that done in a while.

Why can’t we just bring in one of those 3 to 5 bulb spot lights units that dealerships/store openings use? Those things are cool and really get your attention from a long way off. And I don’t think there are any FAA regulations associated with those because I see them all the time. Seems like you could get one of those systems and just put some green lenses over the glass to create green spot lights.

[b]Basically instead of people just getting excited about the "Cinci game", get them excited about the "Charlotte games." That seemed to be the biggest point he wanted to get out at the end. [/b]

Amen. The Cincy game is big, but we need Halton to be that kind of home court advantage for every game. As an alumnus and as a student, I am/was excited before every game. Of course, moreso for the Cincy and name-team games, but they are all important.

I don’t think the “we are Charlotte” cheer is what we need. The traditional Forty-Niner chant is great. Come up with something original if we’re going to do something new. For those watching the game on TV or those who are at the game, they know who we are.

1. You guys are brutal.

2. I’ve long considered doing a rogue donning of the Belk Tower in green. Now I wish I had. Would green cellophane going over the lights do the trick? I’m willing to give it a shot for next Saturday’s game.

3. The whoooooooo idea isn’t so bad. I love Ric Flair. That commercial he did with Baron Davis was great.

[i]Originally posted by mazzniner[/i]@Jan 28 2005, 12:37 AM [b] how about adopting "charlotte's own" rick flair--"whooooooooo" everytime we nail a three pointer, it sounds lame but trust me it would catch on quick and be awesome. [/b]
Not a bad idea... because that hockey team we once "had" in Raleigh did that on each 'Canes goal with Flair on the jumbotron. It was a huge hit.

Why doesn’t the athletic department look to advertise on other radio stations as opposed to only FNZ? I’m sure there are just as many sports fans that listen to other Charlotte stations during the day. I remember 106.5 would include Niner tickets in their prize packs.

GUYS IM TELLING YA… STUDENT NINER CLUB… ECU HAS THE STUDENT PIRATE CLUB AND ITS THE BEST THING FOR ATHLETICS AND STUDENTS TO BE APART OF… ITS THE “IN” CROWD AT ECU… THATS WHAT WE NEED!!!

Hell . . . even South Florida (who is horrible) had t-shirts that most of the students were wearing. I’m glad that this meeting took place. I love the Ric Flair idea. We need to get a series of chants that the crowd does on a regular basis. Even when people fouled out in the TCU game there was nothing.