Spirit-related UTimes article

Here’s another predictable and unimaginative article on the topic of school spirit and why this writer isn’t a big fan of the program.

Writers’ rebuttal to comment on lack of spirit at Charlotte

The improper placement of the apostrophe is from Niner Online, not me. I just did a cut and paste.

Just another example of the “mindless sheep” syndrome.

Comment pending approval.

This is the kind of fan that doesn’t go to the game the night that UNC has a game and leaves early to catch the score of the UNC game. Furthermore, my guess is this is the type of fan that would pull for UNC over Charlotte if UNC came here.

The writer has some good points. If people feel that we are obliged to support our team, they should show up for volleyball and baseball, among other sports. I see no reason for the students to be too excited about supporting our teams when the the people who run the athletic dept. want to move students out to put a few more dollars in the seats.

[b]Once I enrolled at Charlotte, I had no plans of ditching my ACC ties and becoming a hard-core 49er...[/b]

This is the sentimate of many freshman, and they most don’t ever care about what their school’s basketball team is doing until a big game comes up or we are nationally ranked. They’re so obsessed with another school’s past successes that they don’t care about trying to make their own school as successful. Very sad on their part and very frustrating for us die-hards.

[b]I see no reason for the students to be too excited about supporting our teams when the the people who run the athletic dept. want to move students out to put a few more dollars in the seats. [/b]

I don’t think they are planning on moving the students out, but rather using the tickets that students like this are not putting to use. I don’t care if their student fees covered these tickets, it’s senseless to allow the seats to sit empty game after game if they don’t have to. I felt the same way when I was a student.

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Jan 12 2005, 02:30 PM [b] it's senseless to allow the seats to sit empty game after game if they don't have to. [/b]
I don't see too many bottom level seats on the student side sitting empty at the games. Why not bring in more students to fill the bottom tier seats on the other side. Is there any reason they should sit empty? There are plenty of seats available for those who want to pay for them. Notice how little the folks who run this program care about school spirit when it comes to pacifying some who want come to the games unless they get the seats they want? I don't see too many bottom level seats on the student side sitting empty at the games. Why not bring in more students to fill the bottom tier seats on the other side. Is there any reason they should sit empty? People complain about a student wearing a UNC hat to a game, but let a Carolina alumnus flash a few dollars and he gets 49er club lipstick all over his butt.

that article made for good toilet paper

How poetic Skody.

I would have saved that article, but I dont have a bird cage I need to line

I agree Chisox.

[b]I can proudly wear my Tar Heel shirt and still consider myself a Niner because I enjoy being at this school and support all of the sports we offer here.[/b]
[img]http://www.zymico.com/ken/images/turd.jpg[/img] Bull-freakin' sh*t you can Dusty. You will regret making that comment 10 years from now.
[b]I don't care if their student fees covered these tickets, it's senseless to allow the seats to sit empty game after game if they don't have to.[/b]

What’s senseless is charging 20 thousand students hundreds of dollars in student fees for seats to an arena that only holds 9105, and only 3 or 4 thousand students want to go anyway. Yet EVERYONE pays. It’s almost as bad as burdensome taxation.

[b]Once I enrolled at Charlotte, I had no plans of ditching my ACC ties and becoming a hard-core 49er...[/b]
Why not? I did. One I enrolled in Charlotte and attended my first basketball game, I immediately hated any ACC team (or any other college basketball team, for that matter). In my news editing class the other day, my prof (a Chapel Hill grad) talked about how you don't want to be in class the day after a Heels loss. That turned into a discussion of who was a State fan, a Heel fan, or a Dook fan. Sadly, nobody said they were a Niner fan. I even asked, "So what, nobody supports their own school?" Out of the class of 20, only 1 besides me said they were a Niner fan.

Suppose Charlotte and Chapel Hill have equal chances of winning the National Championship in the imminent future. Actually, we probably have a better chance since Roy is a choker, but they have a better chance of being in position to win it. Does that make sense? Does to me.

Doesn’t matter.

Say in the imminent future we BOTH win a National Championship.

Which fans would it mean more to?

Furthermore, if the program you root for is a cliche, why perpetuate it? Understandable if you attend said university, but if you don’t? What a loser. It takes moxie to root for the underdog with all your heart because you will take more knocks than the long established programs. But man, to experience what you guys experienced in '77, even if it’s a catching lightning in a bottle? It’d be worth more than 5 more National Championships for Chapel Hill.

My reply to Dusty:

Dusty,

It truly saddens me that you, or anyone for that matter, would rather write an article justifying excuses for the lack of school spirit on campus when it comes to our athletic teams, than to do a little research, find out about any of our players, coaches , or teams, and then write an article about them, with the goal of possibly converting or drawing a student to a game. You say you are an avid sports fan, but don’t know much about Marquette, Memphis, etc. Did you know that Marquette has been to a Final Four more recently than any ACC team from the state has? It seems to me that any avid sports fan could tell you who was in the Final Four from 2003, just 2 years ago. Sure, when I was growing up in eastern North Carolina, I pulled for an ACC team. It was my only choice, but when I came to school here, I began to develop my own identity as an adult. I found a new love for this school and its sports teams. A love that continues today. My days of cheering for an ACC team are long past.
I’m glad I’m not a student anymore, because I’d be very upset that my tuition and fees were going to pay for an article giving excuses about apathetic school spirit. You best believe that any monies I give as an alumni will be earmarked for areas other than student media if this type of article continues to be written.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Jan 12 2005, 03:54 PM [b] But man, to experience what you guys experienced in '77, even if it's a catching lightning in a bottle? [/b]
I can only tell you that it was special, much more than I could have ever imagined. I have many other college memories but it was incredible being involved on a daily basis then with Lee Rose, Dave Taylor and Judy Wilkins (Rose) among others. The players were great people who came together as one special team. I'm darn proud I made that decision to attend UNCC.
[i]Originally posted by Smoothieking[/i]@Jan 12 2005, 04:11 PM [b] My reply to Dusty:

Dusty,

It truly saddens me that you, or anyone for that matter, would rather write an article justifying excuses for the lack of school spirit on campus when it comes to our athletic teams, than to do a little research, find out about any of our players, coaches , or teams, and then write an article about them, with the goal of possibly converting or drawing a student to a game. You say you are an avid sports fan, but don’t know much about Marquette, Memphis, etc. Did you know that Marquette has been to a Final Four more recently than any ACC team from the state has? It seems to me that any avid sports fan could tell you who was in the Final Four from 2003, just 2 years ago. Sure, when I was growing up in eastern North Carolina, I pulled for an ACC team. It was my only choice, but when I came to school here, I began to develop my own identity as an adult. I found a new love for this school and its sports teams. A love that continues today. My days of cheering for an ACC team are long past.
I’m glad I’m not a student anymore, because I’d be very upset that my tuition and fees were going to pay for an article giving excuses about apathetic school spirit. You best believe that any monies I give as an alumni will be earmarked for areas other than student media if this type of article continues to be written. [/b]

well did, smoothie.

clt suggests we all write this bozo. he pretty much lacks skills.

[b]I don't see too many bottom level seats on the student side sitting empty at the games. Why not bring in more students to fill the bottom tier seats on the other side. Is there any reason they should sit empty?[/b]

There are not many bottom seats on either side sitting empty. I wasn’t talking about the lower level seats anyways. The student seats in the upper end zones and most of the ones in 201 and 207 are vacant during most games. Most of the 100 sections on both sides are full for every game. I’m not saying take away any seats from the students, I’m saying sell them to the public if they aren’t picked up so many days before that game. They still have the opportunity to get them if they want them. If they don’t, then sell/give them to some Niner fan who does.

What portion of the student fees, per student, goes towards the “purchase” of basketball tickets? I’m sure it’s very small compared to what even first year alumnus’ pay.

[b]Out of the class of 20, only 1 besides me said they were a Niner fan.[/b]

Very sad, but probably true for much of the campus.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jan 12 2005, 02:04 PM [b] I agree Chisox.
[b]I can proudly wear my Tar Heel shirt and still consider myself a Niner because I enjoy being at this school and support all of the sports we offer here.[/b]
[img]http://www.zymico.com/ken/images/turd.jpg[/img] Bull-freakin' sh*t you can Dusty. You will regret making that comment 10 years from now. [/b]
You DID buy my poo on E-Bay!!!!!