Spoke with an Anti-Football alumn today....

He was a new grad who just got hired at my work. He shadowed me for the entire afternoon and it wasnt long until we figured out we both were charlotte grads. Young, smart, ambitious guyā€¦23 or 24 yrs old.

As we filtered through the various goings on around campus, I brought up the football issue. He gave me a quick ā€œbhah!ā€ and a roll of the eyes. I asked him what he meant by that and he went off on his anti football platform.

He thinks football is the greatest mistake we could make as a University. He cited all the cliche reasons not to have footballā€¦moneyā€¦lack of interestā€¦ takes away from Educationā€¦so on and so forth. He was very passionate. I politely tried to counter his claimsā€¦but didnt want to get into it that deep with him due to the setting and our roles at the time.

He claims that he is not alone, and there is a growing number of students and young alumni who feel the same and will get organized.

My question isā€¦for the students, are any of you guys aware of this? Is there a vocal anti football crowdā€¦just quiet whisperingsā€¦or nothing at all? I just cannot understand why a young, educated professional would be so anti football!

[QUOTE=casstommy;261598]He was a new grad who just got hired at my work. He shadowed me for the entire afternoon and it wasnt long until we figured out we both were charlotte grads. Young, smart, ambitious guyā€¦23 or 24 yrs old.

As we filtered through the various goings on around campus, I brought up the football issue. He gave me a quick ā€œbhah!ā€ and a roll of the eyes. I asked him what he meant by that and he went off on his anti football platform.

He thinks football is the greatest mistake we could make as a University. He cited all the cliche reasons not to have footballā€¦moneyā€¦lack of interestā€¦ takes away from Educationā€¦so on and so forth. He was very passionate. I politely tried to counter his claimsā€¦but didnt want to get into it that deep with him due to the setting and our roles at the time.

He claims that he is not alone, and there is a growing number of students and young alumni who feel the same and will get organized.

My question isā€¦for the students, are any of you guys aware of this? Is there a vocal anti football crowdā€¦just quiet whisperingsā€¦or nothing at all? I just cannot understand why a young, educated professional would be so anti football![/QUOTE]

Did he mention if he is a football fan at all? Did he go to basketball games as a student? Could it be that he is just one of those anti sports people or he is a fan of another school and really is not a charlotte fan?

From my experience the people I have run into that are Charlotte fans/grads that are blah about football, they either have loyalty to another school in football, they are not football fans at all or they are anti sports in general.

Did he mention if he is a football fan at all? Did he go to basketball games as a student? Could it be that he is just one of those anti sports people or he is a fan of another school and really is not a charlotte fan?

He is a sports fan. Was and remains very active in the 9er community. Attended games, and plans to try to get season ticks in a few years when he is earning a little more coin.

I dont know if he hates football in general or not. Like I said, he is a niner fan (and a Lutz supporter). He was just so damn passionate about his stance. Really caught me off guard!

Heā€™s a Pansy!

oh crap, i really donā€™t want to lose this kid as a donor. I mean he seems very passionate about the future of our school. I mean we have 80k alumni and only 10k donate on any level, I would hate to lose this guy.

sarcasm off.

For every 1 person I know that is against football (and yes I have met them), i know about 12-15 that are for it. If he doesnā€™t want football, then donā€™t donate money to it, donate more to the education fund in which he thinks football will take from if he cares so much. However, if we happen to make a run anywhere close to what USF is doing, Iā€™ll gladly accept him as a follower.

We have idiots in this world, having someone be ā€œantifootballā€ doesnā€™t shock me.

Cass, you did manage to tell him about the football forum for alumni [U]next Tuesday[/U] right?:happy:

My Jr. or Sr. year, there was a hottie in an English class I was thinking of asking out until she wrote an anti-football at UNCC article.

[QUOTE=casstommy;261605]He is a sports fan. Was and remains very active in the 9er community. Attended games, and plans to try to get season ticks in a few years when he is earning a little more coin.

I dont know if he hates football in general or not. Like I said, he is a niner fan (and a Lutz supporter). He was just so damn passionate about his stance. Really caught me off guard![/QUOTE]

See that is what really confuses meā€¦ how can you claim to be a big basketball supporter and not see where lack of football has put our basketball program. I just donā€™t get that.

He probably played soccer as a kid instead of pop-warner.

[QUOTE=ninerID;261607]

Cass, you did manage to tell him about the football forum for alumni [U]next Tuesday[/U] right?:happy:[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much opposition will be there at the forum on Monday??

The only alumni Iā€™ve talked to who were against it were just skeptical and not really against it. Iā€™ve never met anyone passionately against it except for Cornbread.

All of the Alums I know against donā€™t think weā€™re ready or we canā€™t support it. I donā€™t know any that just hate it by itself.

Sounds like a Commuter Student to me. Probably lived at home with mom and dad, drove to school each day and hung out with high school kids all through college. Heā€™s probably still ticked at the university for the inconvenient commuter parking.

He is a sports fan. Was and remains very active in the 9er community. Attended games, and plans to try to get season ticks in a few years when he is earning a little more coin.

He canā€™tā€™ afford $49?

Man your employer must not pay for jack. :tongue:

Have him fired.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;261612]All of the Alums I know against donā€™t think weā€™re ready or we canā€™t support it. I donā€™t know any that just hate it by itself.[/QUOTE]

If it were based on the support of the alumni alone, we would not be getting football. Even if we add 2000 people to the 49er Club after we start football, that wonā€™t pay the bills by itself. The students, or rather their parents, will be the ones footing most of the football bill. Theyā€™re an easy donor.

Iā€™m all for having football, Iā€™m not so sure the plan once we get it is going to be a good one though.

[QUOTE=X-49er;261624]If it were based on the support of the alumni alone, we would not be getting football. [/QUOTE]
Yepā€¦ Thats why I keep pushing the fact we need support from the community itselfā€¦ and by ā€œcommunityā€, I am NOT referring to only University City. Iā€™m talking about the entire Charlotte Metropolitan area.

Speaking of whichā€¦ I know quite a few non-alums in Charlotte hoping we get a football team, and they all say they will attend games.

He was a new grad who just got hired at my work. He shadowed me for the entire afternoon and it wasnt long until we figured out we both were charlotte grads. Young, smart, ambitious guy...23 or 24 yrs old.

My question isā€¦for the students, are any of you guys aware of this? Is there a vocal anti football crowdā€¦just quiet whisperingsā€¦or nothing at all? I just cannot understand why a young, educated professional would be so anti football!

I will say there have been rumblings about faculty gearing up. But the studentsā€¦ meh.

Sounds like a Commuter Student to me. Probably lived at home with mom and dad, drove to school each day and hung out with high school kids all through college. He's probably still ticked at the university for the inconvenient commuter parking.

He wasnt a commuter student. Lived in the highrises for 2 yearsā€¦then moved to somewhere else on campusā€¦forget where.

Like I said, he was/is very involved with the university on different levels, enjoys sports, has an irrational hate for Bob Huggins, wants the name change. He seems like the type of guy who would be at the front of the pro football movement.

I told him his passion was all for not however. The students have already had their say, and they disagree with you.

He can't' afford $49?

Man your employer must not pay for jack. :tongue:

LOL

I forgot to even mention the 49 dollar deal to him.

[QUOTE=casstommy;261659]He wasnt a commuter student. Lived in the highrises for 2 yearsā€¦then moved to somewhere else on campusā€¦forget where.

Like I said, he was/is very involved with the university on different levels, enjoys sports, has an irrational hate for Bob Huggins, wants the name change. He seems like the type of guy who would be at the front of the pro football movement.

I told him his passion was all for not however. The students have already had their say, and they disagree with you.
[/QUOTE]

Just tell him that we will leave room for an alum on the bandwagon once it starts rolling.

[QUOTE=casstommy;261598]He was a new grad who just got hired at my work. He shadowed me for the entire afternoon and it wasnt long until we figured out we both were charlotte grads. Young, smart, ambitious guyā€¦23 or 24 yrs old.

My question isā€¦for the students, are any of you guys aware of this? Is there a vocal anti football crowdā€¦just quiet whisperingsā€¦or nothing at all? I just cannot understand why a young, educated professional would be so anti football![/QUOTE]

Did you tell this guy about this messageboard? Invite him over so we can have a little debate. :shades:

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;261608]My Jr. or Sr. year, there was a hottie in an English class I was thinking of asking out until she wrote an anti-football at UNCC article.[/QUOTE]
Sheā€™d have turned you down regardless. :ohmy: