Spoke with an Anti-Football alumn today....

Did you tell this guy about this messageboard? Invite him over so we can have a little debate. :shades:

I did and he knew about it already. He is a lurker. Suprising the number of niners I know who lurk on here, but dont post.

[QUOTE=mineshaft;261614]Sounds like a Commuter Student to me. Probably lived at home with mom and dad, drove to school each day[/QUOTE]

And what does that have to do with football? Are you going at a school connection angle? I lived at my parents house 3 of the 4 years I was in school, but I was on campus from 8 AM to 10 PM. And I saved money through school to donate more now. :biggrin:

[QUOTE=ChevEE;261671]And what does that have to do with football? Are you going at a school connection angle? I lived at my parents house 3 of the 4 years I was in school, but I was on campus from 8 AM to 10 PM. And I saved money through school to donate more now. :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. We really need to get rid of the “commuter students are not part of the school” concept that some commuters have. Some of them keep hearing and reading we are nothing but a commuter school and it affects their entire attitude. And guess what is one of the best ways to change their attitude. FOOTBALL

[QUOTE=Chipper;261676]Excellent point. We really need to get rid of the “commuter students are not part of the school” concept that some commuters have. Some of them keep hearing and reading we are nothing but a commuter school and it affects their entire attitude. And guess what is one of the best ways to change their attitude. FOOTBALL[/QUOTE]
Thank you and I agree that we need to quit throwing the phrase “commuter campus” around. It doesn’t apply anymore. And students now still hear it and claim it, but don’t understand how untrue it is, especially compared to our past.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;261679]Thank you and I agree that we need to quit throwing the phrase “commuter campus” around. It doesn’t apply anymore. And students now still hear it and claim it, but don’t understand how untrue it is, especially compared to our past.[/QUOTE]

To make football work, you have to have not only commuter students but the community. Better not be excluding anyone at the moment on that front.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;261684]To make football work, you have to have not only commuter students but the community. Better not be excluding anyone at the moment on that front.[/QUOTE]

clt asks mike if he is recommending the wal mart approach that has worked for unc-ch

hold on, mike won’t understand unc-ch.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;261684]To make football work, you have to have not only commuter students but the community. Better not be excluding anyone at the moment on that front.[/QUOTE]
I’m not saying to exclude commuters Mike. If you look up you will se that I myself was a commuter student. The problem I am reffering to is the superlative of “Commuter school” that Charlotte has held for some time and carried through. Students now claim that Charlotte is a commuter school still but don’t understand that it isn’t near that which it was through the 90’s.

[QUOTE=cltniners;261688]clt asks mike if he is recommending the wal mart approach that has worked for unc-ch

hold on, mike won’t understand unc-ch.[/QUOTE]

That approach works not only for the Tar Heels, but for Oklahoma, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia … lots of big state schools. Not everyone who follows those teams passionately went to school there. Doesn’t mean they’re any less of a fan, and their money spends just like anyone elses. Gotta broaden the base to gain the kind of popularity those schools have.

And Chevee, I understood completely that you weren’t saying to exclude them. Others were suggesting that, though.

You need more, not less.

My question is...for the students, are any of you guys aware of this? Is there a vocal anti football crowd...just quiet whisperings...or nothing at all? I just cannot understand why a young, educated professional would be so anti football!

I know maybe 2 people who are anti-football… most people just get excited when i mention in and say stuff like “whoa wait, we really might get it?!?”

so yeah - anti-football folks are relatively quiet on campus, and quite frankly i dont mind it. i dont like fighting…

That approach works not only for the Tar Heels, but for Oklahoma, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia ... lots of big state schools. Not everyone who follows those teams passionately went to school there. Doesn't mean they're any less of a fan, and their money spends just like anyone elses. Gotta broaden the base to gain the kind of popularity those schools have.

And Chevee, I understood completely that you weren’t saying to exclude them. Others were suggesting that, though.

You need more, not less.

I agree 100% on this. In 5-10 years, when we have football, and we’re known more once we change our name to the University of Charlotte, we will have some Wal-Mart fans as well. I welcome Wal-Mart fans to root for Charlotte and come to our games. My hope is to one day, have students at Chapel Hill, Duke, NC State, etc. who go there and say, “Well, I go here, but I grew up a Charlotte fan, so I support their atheletic programs.” I know that might be unrealistic at this point in our history, but hey, it could happen.

By the way, Commuter Students pay tuition just like the ones who live on campus. It’s their school as much as any of ours.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;261621]Have him fired.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Poor/Unemployed people have no influence on the University.

Earlier, in this same thread, I stated:

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;261647]Yep… Thats why I keep pushing the fact we need support from the community itself… and by “community”, I am NOT referring to only University City. I’m talking about the entire Charlotte Metropolitan area.

Speaking of which… I know quite a few non-alums in Charlotte hoping we get a football team, and they all say they will attend games.[/QUOTE]

It looks like Mike and I agree on this one… but of course, we need our stories to be on Page 1 and not Page 8.

Wake is a classic example of the community getting behind the local team. Most of their fans in Winston did not attend school there.

He was a new grad who just got hired at my work. He shadowed me for the entire afternoon and it wasnt long until we figured out we both were charlotte grads. Young, smart, ambitious guy...23 or 24 yrs old.

As we filtered through the various goings on around campus, I brought up the football issue. He gave me a quick “bhah!” and a roll of the eyes. I asked him what he meant by that and he went off on his anti football platform.

He thinks football is the greatest mistake we could make as a University. He cited all the cliche reasons not to have football…money…lack of interest… takes away from Education…so on and so forth. He was very passionate. I politely tried to counter his claims…but didnt want to get into it that deep with him due to the setting and our roles at the time.

He claims that he is not alone, and there is a growing number of students and young alumni who feel the same and will get organized.

My question is…for the students, are any of you guys aware of this? Is there a vocal anti football crowd…just quiet whisperings…or nothing at all? I just cannot understand why a young, educated professional would be so anti football!

First, I would like to play Rocheambu with this guy… I go first.

To answer your question, the only student response I’ve encountered that wasn’t completely positive was from those who just do not think we’ll get it, so they’re more indifferent if anything. If we were to receive it they’d be right there at the first game, but until it’s announced they’ll continue to believe it just will not happen.

The only people I have found who are against are certain professionals who are also against the name change as well. From what I have heard from them they are uninformed, and when I present my(our) side on the issue they either scoff with no rebuttal or actually take it all in and seem to see the side I present.

Quality of education won’t improve greatly without the money that football can bring to the University.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;261693]Gotta broaden the base to gain the kind of popularity those schools have.

You need more, not less.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how we can broaden the base? Hmmm…

Mike, you mean you see why we bust your chops on here sometimes? That is why some of us constantly harass you (and local tv and radio) about coverage. We’ve known for 20 years that we need to broaden our base. That’s why we’d like to see the local media jump on board, to broaden our base.

Normmm, we just disagree over whether it’s my fault your base isn’t broader. I think it’s on Bobby and the basketball team to broaden the base by getting over the hump. They’ve been close a couple of times. A Sweet 16 trip would help. Look where the Orange Bowl trip got Wake Forest. Of course, then you have to maintain, like Wake did last night.

Just to throw it out there… on more than one occasion the Gaston Gazette has had us front page while the O has us on page 8. When I first canceled the O I picked up the Gazzette, before turning my back on print media all together. Just strikes me a little odd that a paper based in Gastonia will at times give us better coverage than the O will.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;261747] … before turning my back on print media all together. [/QUOTE]

If you read the internet, you haven’t turned your back on “print” media. You’re just getting it through another delivery method.

When’s the last time the Gazette covered a road game?

I honestly don’t believe that anecdote to be the norm. No pun intended.

If you read the internet, you haven't turned your back on "print" media. You're just getting it through another delivery method.

I honestly don’t believe that anecdote to be the norm. No pun intended.

OT I know…but did you hear what that jerk Steve Smith said about Charlotte trying to get a football team?

Also, I heard Davidson has just inked 2 more TV games. We dont have any.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;261748]If you read the internet, you haven’t turned your back on “print” media. You’re just getting it through another delivery method.

I honestly don’t believe that anecdote to be the norm. No pun intended.[/QUOTE]

I said at times… thus meaning not all the time. Overall the O’s coverage is probably slightly better than what they provide. The time that really stood out to me was on Sincy win years ago your sports page had the carolina duke game front and center, the Gazzette had our win. I just found that interesting.

As for turning my back on print media… I was meaning that to say I no longer pay to receive a paper.