Sports editiorial on the 49ers

[b]It’s a great time for Charlotte basketball.

No, I’m not talking about the woeful Charlotte Bobcats of the NBA. They sport a 10-39 record and sit in the basement of the Southeast Division.

The uptown team in Charlotte plays in Conference USA.

Nothing could be finer than to be a 49ers men’s basketball player or fan.

Charlotte owns a 17-4 record and is ranked 23rd in the latest Associated Press Top 25.

This marks the first time since 1999 that the 49ers have made the Top 25.

But basketball success is nothing new to the 49ers.

Cornbread Maxwell let Charlotte to the 1977 Final Four.

More recently, the 49ers won C-USA Tournament titles in 1999 and 2001 and played in the NCAA Tournament seven times in the last 10 seasons.

This year’s 49er roster includes star senior guard Eddie Basden, explosive scorer Curtis Withers and sharpshooting Brendan Plavich.

Before the season is out, I expect the 49ers to top their previous AP Top 25 best ranking of 17th.

Charlotte also reanks near the top of my NCAA Tournament sleeper teams.

Forget the Bobcats and focus on the 49ers. Those guys are good.[/b]

Mark McKinney, Assistant Sports Editor, High Point Enterprise

Attn: Mike P…hire this guy…that’s quality journalism at it’s best… thought provoking and enlightening!

HP, thanks for posting that! GO NINERS!!!

Nice work from the High Point Surprise!

You’re welcome run. I love it when the 49ers make the HP Surprise.

By the way, this was written by someone who did not attend the UNC Chapel Hill School of Journalism, but is a Duke University grad! Those Dookies are some knowledgable people. :lol:

BTTT… just in case a certain sports editor has the guts to venture over to our board today with his BS. The HP paper tells like it is. The Observer tells it like their editor & the acc wants it to be.