Sportsline's Parrish on Lutz

Gary Parrish talks with Bobby Lutz and Judy Rose about South Alabama, Lutz’s contract, etc.

Sportsline.com: Lutz did it right by returning to his wife, er, job

good article. i surprisingly liked Rose’s comments as well. seemed pretty straight forward.

Well that article brought me some hope, however I hope that isn’t false hope…

Gary Parrish talks with Bobby Lutz and Judy Rose about South Alabama, Lutz's contract, etc.

Sportsline.com: Lutz did it right by returning to his wife, er, job

That was a very positive article and it was also written very well.

It also seemed to confirm a lot of my suspicions.

Judy Rose won major points with me.

Awesome to see us on the first page, I believe in Lutz.

Fromthe link on that page for the 49ers. Did anyone ever notice this? or did I not bother looking at it in my post season depression??

[QUOTE]
Charlotte’s terribly inconsistent 2006-07 season ended with an all-too-familiar script.
The 49ers (14-16 record) played well in the first half and lousy over the game’s final 20 minutes in 81-63 loss to Dayton in the first round of the A-10 Tournament in Atlantic City. That type of performance was a fitting end to an up-and-down season for Bobby Lutz’s squad, a team that never reached its full potential because of suspect defense (71.7 ppg allowed) and questionable shot selection.
Actually, the two problems often worked hand in hand. In 2006-07, the 49ers often took ill-advised three-pointers, leading to fastbreak opportunities all too often for opponents. The Niners attempted an Atlantic 10-high 786 three-pointers in their 30 games (26.2 three-point attempts per game), but made only but only 261 of them (.332 3PT).
The bad news is that Charlotte’s two best players, 6-5 swingman De’Angelo Alexander (17.6 ppg, 7.2 rpg) and 6-9 center E.J. Drayton (13.7 ppg, 8.4 rpg), are both out of eligibility. Making matters worse is the fact that Kansas State “stole” Michael Beasley, a high school senior power forward who is drawing comparisons to Amare Stoudamire, away from Charlotte. Kansas State coach Bob Huggins hired assistant coach Dalonte Hill away from Charlotte, because he was tight with Beasley. The hire worked as Beasley reneged on his oral commitment to the 49ers and signed with Huggins instead.
Many believe that losing Beasley is part of a trend that is becoming obvious that Lutz has found it harder to recruit to Charlotte now that the Niners are in the Atlantic 10 instead of Conference USA. Back then, Lutz was able to offer talented in-state kids who weren’t viewed as ACC-level players quite a consolation prize: The opportunity to play against the likes of Louisville, Cincinnati, Marquette and Memphis.
Now he’s trying to recruit southern kids to play in Northeast-based conference. And it’s not easy to do – local kids apparently don’t grow up dreaming of playing Saint Joseph’s, Temple, Saint Bonaventure and Duquesne. Adding to the difficulty in recruiting is the fact in-state schools such as Davidson and Winthrop are performing quite well. If that continues to happen then those schools will become attractive destinations for this hidden gem-type of kids that Lutz used to gobble up.
The ace in the hole for Lutz, it’s hoped, is the fact that Charlotte is in the midst of adding football to its list of varsity sports. If that happens, then Charlotte can use that as a chip to gets itself into a Southern-based conference for all sports – which would probably help its sagging recruiting efforts.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gill2003;239431]Fromthe link on that page for the 49ers. Did anyone ever notice this? or did I not bother looking at it in my post season depression??[/QUOTE]
Yes, I posted that (and the entire overview of the A-10) back in March. And yes, the one for the Niners is depressing…

I like the football part though.

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;239460]I like the football part though.[/QUOTE]
Where did Parrish, Lutz, or Rose mention anything about football? :huh:

Where did Parrish, Lutz, or Rose mention anything about football? :huh:

From what you posted above:

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;239467]From what you posted above:[/QUOTE]
Oh, you’re referring to Gill’s reposting of the end-of-season wrap-up from USA Today/Sportsline. Thought you had read something in Parrish’s piece about Lutz.

Oh, you're referring to Gill's reposting of the end-of-season wrap-up from USA Today/Sportsline. Thought you had read something in Parrish's piece about Lutz.

Yeah… I’m sorry. I should have specified.

There’s some good dialogue in the comments/message board for the story. Of course, I’m pushing the pro-Lutz, optimistic theme. I still believe we can turn it around, obviously. Where’s our good friend Captain Obvious?

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;239471]There’s some good dialogue in the comments/message board for the story. Of course, I’m pushing the pro-Lutz, optimistic theme. I still believe we can turn it around, obviously. Where’s our good friend Captain Obvious?[/QUOTE]

Lefty is optimistic and thinks we can turn it around.

And in other news, if you fall in water, you will get wet.

More from Parrish in his Sportsline blog “Parrish: The Thoughts”…

Updated: May/22/2007 11:19 AM

Lutz’s drama takes a cloak-and-dagger turn

Bobby Lutz had an interesting March and April, what with his interview at South Alabama and subsequent return to Charlotte that prompted a letter of explanation in which the nine-year coach promised he was “all-in.” But just in case that wasn’t enough, Lutz also endured the confusion of a pseudo message board controversy on a blog at the St. Petersburg Times.

The blog was published March 10, and it focused on South Florida’s coaching search that eventually led to the school hiring Stan Heath. At the time, Heath wasn’t even a candidate because he was still employed by Arkansas. But some of the names mentioned were Virginia Commonwealth’s Anthony Grant, Florida assistant Lewis Preston, Alabama’s Mark Gottfried and Lutz.

Underneath the blog was a message board.

Naturally, readers chimed in, and someone named “Dr. Rob Ritter” suggested USF should pursue Winthrop’s Gregg Marshall. That led to a post from somebody who entered the name “TTTTRRRRRRRRR”. It read: Bobby Lutz would be a great hire for USF. He is very frustrated with everyone at Charlotte including the Athletic Department and his dwindling fan base. I think he would thrive in the Big East. From what I hear Greg (sic) Marshall is an a-hole to work with. And with the competition he faces in the Big South Conference, he is not nearly as proven as Lutz.

Typical message board stuff, right?

Yes, except that at the time when a reader put his mouse over the “TTTTRRRRRRRRR” the email address entered by “TTTTRRRRRRRRR” during the registration process appeared in the bottom left of the screen, and it was Lutz’s school-issued email address. The address was later removed, but not before someone used it to email Lutz, causing quite the internal stir.

“I swear on my sister’s grave I have never posted, and the only reason I’m aware of it is because somebody from Winthrop sent it to me and said, ‘What are you doing? This is bull,’” Lutz told CBS SportsLine.com. “I had no idea what they were talking about. But I had our IT (information technology) people chase it down.”

According to Lutz, an investigation uncovered somebody in Fort Mill, S.C., (about 10 miles from the Winthrop campus) entered his email address, but the IT people were unable to isolate a specific person. Still, Lutz was so bothered by the development he said he actually called Marshall, now the coach at Wichita State, to clear any confusion.

“I left a message and just said, ‘Hey, I have no idea who this was. But I promise you it wasn’t me,’” Lutz said. “I mean that would be idiotic for me to do.”

Marshall didn’t return a phone message from CBS SportsLine.com seeking comment.

“It was frustrating,” Lutz acknowledged. “I try not to worry about things I can’t control, but things like that can impact your job in an unfair and negative way, and it’s not right. So that bothered me, but I don’t know what you can do about it.”

Sportsline.com: Parrish: The Thoughts

I think it sounds like Bobby is really on the defensive.

[QUOTE]According to Lutz, an investigation uncovered somebody in Fort Mill, S.C., (about 10 miles from the Winthrop campus) entered his email address, but the IT people were unable to isolate a specific person. Still, Lutz was so bothered by the development he said he actually called Marshall, now the coach at Wichita State, to clear any confusion.[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Wow, metro went to great lengths to try to get rid of Bobby and to get Gregg Marshall hired here!

j/k :biggrin:

LOL!

Wow, metro went to great lengths to try to get rid of Bobby and to get Gregg Marshall hired here!

j/k :biggrin:

i was thinking the same thing…

Speaking of Gregg Marshall, he picked up a nice transfer with the signing of ex-Bona guard A. J. Hawkins.