St. Joe's Game 01.07.07

Is there talk of Phil transfering???

[COLOR=black]Check it: [/COLOR][COLOR=black]http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15093&highlight=phil+jones[/COLOR]

I vote for 11-15 with:

• The whole team 100% healthy. i.e. (EJ tooth fix (he could ask coach Kummer a few tips concerning tooth problem), Dumptruck and the team manager recover from the flu, there’s not much anyone can do with A-10 refs. Lee just have to be wiser).
  • 90% at the charity stripe.
  • Last but not least . . .the 6th man show up (5000 plus would be nice).
    Other than those [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=5][I]Go Niners ! ! ! [/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Not too confident but I say Niners by 1-5. I hope.

I got the impression from Lutz Live that St. Joe’s is being taken lightly.

They shouldn’t be.

#1, Charlotte has proven that they aren’t good enough to take [I]anyone[/I] lightly and #2, St. Joe’s could prove to be a damn good team when all is said and done - especially in the wild and wacky world of the A-10. Martelli is the type of coach that can jumpstart a team for the 2nd half of the year, their young guards have gained experience with playing time, and their forwards have been dominant. Their defense held Boston U. to 39 points early in the year and they could have held Duquesne to even less if they felt like it. St. Joe’s was able to rest their starters in the last game they played (vs. Duquesne, who’ve won 2 of their last 3 convincingly vs. Boston College and St. Louis) because they were firing on all cylinders.

With a 46-12 lead, St. Joe’s padded their lead with a 25-6 run to start the 2nd half and then coasted the rest of the way. A 71-18 lead is ridiculous, I don’t care who you’re facing. That’s what Charlotte is up against.

I hope the crowd is in full force tomorrow. Carry a football or two. And if you see Phil Jones, tell him to stay in Charlotte, the best situation for him.

I’m guessing the Saint Joe talent level will be on par with Davidson. I can’t imagine our guys taking them lightly. I can’t imagine us taking anyone for granted.

I got the impression from Lutz Live that St. Joe's is being taken lightly.

This is one of my main problems with Lutz and his coaching, last year vs. Duquesne he comes up to the student section and says “We are going to have some fun tonight guys”. Duqesene came out on fire and our guys looked unprepared and clueless. We were down double digits at halftime and barely won the game. I just get the impression that Lutz pumps his guys egos up a good bit sometimes. That’s probably an inaccurate statement on my part, but it just seems like it, especially after we’ve lost games to ECU, USF, Rutgers, Richmond, Valpo, etc… over my three years here.

I'm guessing the Saint Joe talent level will be on par with Davidson. I can't imagine our guys taking them lightly. I can't imagine us taking anyone for granted.
Davidson might not be the most ideal comparison. Davidson's starting center is their tallest player at 6'8" and Davidson's best player is 6'0" Guard Stephen Curry.

Here is how we match up according to ESPN. Remember, though, St. Joe’s strength is their defense, not their offense:

Ahmad Nivins…F…6’9" MPG-33.3 PPG-15.9 RPG-7.2 APG- 0.3
Rob Ferguson…F…6’8" MPG-32.1 PPG-12.3 RPG-5.2 APG-0.8
Pat Calathes…G-F…6’10" MPG-27.4 PPG-11.6 RPG-6.2 APG-3.3
Jawan Carter…G…6’0" MPG-26.5 PPG-7.5 RPG-2.3 APG-2.6
D.J. Rivera…G…6’2" MPG-23.3 PPG-7.0 RPG-2.8 APG-1.1
Garrett Williamson…G-F…6’5" MPG-26.9 PPG-5.8 RPG-3.0 APG-2.1
Darrin Govens…G…6’1" MPG-22.1 PPG-5.1 RPG-1.0 APG-3.5

De’Angelo Alexander…G-F…6’5" MPG-34.5 PPG-18.7 RPG-7.6 APG-1.5
E.J. Drayton…F…6’9" MPG-34.8 PPG-13.4 RPG-8.7 APG-0.8
Leemire Goldwire…G…5’11" MPG-30.9 PPG-11.7 RPG-3.5 APG-2.3
Carlos Williams…G…6’1" MPG-26.5 PPG-7.5 RPG-3.3 APG-2.2
Ian Andersen…G…6’4" MPG-19.9 PPG-6.0 RPG-1.7 APG-0.6
Courtney Williams…F…6’9" MPG-20.3 PPG-4.2 RPG-4.0 APG-1.2
Antwon Coleman…F…6’7" MPG-15.8 PPG-4.0 RPG-3.8 APG-0.4

Their top 3 scorers are pretty damn tall and Calathes knows how to dish the ball. The De’Angelo vs. Calathes matchup scares the bejeebus out of me, especially knowing how DA plays defense. I hope you’re right and we don’t take them lightly.

Davidson might not be the most ideal comparison. Davidson's starting center is their tallest player at 6'8" and Davidson's best player is 6'0" Guard Stephen Curry.

Here is how we match up according to ESPN. Remember, though, St. Joe’s strength is their defense, not their offense:

Their top 3 scorers are pretty damn tall and Calathes knows how to dish the ball. The De’Angelo vs. Calathes matchup scares the bejeebus out of me, especially knowing how DA plays defense. I hope you’re right and we don’t take them lightly.

Okay, so they are a bit taller than Davidson. That doesn’t necessarily make them more or less talented. Saint Joes is an alright team but nothing special. Like us, they haven’t beaten anybody worth a damn. Like Davidson, they probably won’t take low percentage shots outside the context of the offense. Yes, they will probably play tough defense because their coach demands it.

[QUOTE=bball49er;209308]I’m guessing the Saint Joe talent level will be on par with Davidson. I can’t imagine our guys taking them lightly. I can’t imagine us taking anyone for granted.[/QUOTE]

The Hawks overall talent is certainly much better than Davidson, though with all the freshmen, that hasn’t necessarily translated into wins. Speaking of their frosh, Darrin Govens was the Class 4A Pennsylvania Player of the Year in both 2005 and 2006. He was also a 2006 All-State First Team selection by Associated Press, along with teammates D.J. Rivera and Garrett Williamson. Gawan Carter was the 2006 Delaware State Player of the Year. Carter and Williamson are starters, with Govens and Riveria getting significant PT off the bench. The other member of the freshman class, Rockwell Moody, was 2006 Viriginia Independent Schools All-State 1st Team, but hasn’t seen the action of the other four.

bump…I was right!