St Joe's Postgame

Will do, NA. First round’s on me…

This[/quote]

The glass is half EMPTY!! HALF EMPTY!

Our fans hate success. We beat the piss out of a bad team. What more do you want?[/quote]

What’s wrong with saying St. Joes is a really bad team? What else do you want us to say?[/quote]

How about giving some credit to our team for playing well and doing what we needed instead of trying to “blame the win” on the other team being limited.

No one had any sympathy for us last year when we were 11-20… and this St joes team took Temple to OT and we beat Xavier last year in our worst season in a quarter century. Nothing is a given. Beating the crap out of them is what we should have done and we did.[/quote]

I didn’t know that saying a team was really bad is the reason why we won. Thanks for the explanation.

[quote=“max, post:20, topic:22542”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:11, topic:22542”]SJU has two players. Lutz excels at shutting down teams with limited offensive threats.

They do have size. Their bigs are not athletes, but they do work hard. Just mediocre talent and limited athleticism.

Ian’s shot has a little more arc on it. I do not think that it’s a coincidence that he made more shots tonight.

In addition to shooting so well that he knew the balls was going in the second it left his hands, Gokhan also moves really well without the ball. If Bobby does follow through on playing him at the 2 we need to either play zone on defense and/or have him play the 3 on defense, cause he simply has not chance to guard most 2s - they’re just too quick for him. KJ and Barnett both picked up fouls after he got burned.

Enough on the negative though. This was a fun game. We played a team that is struggling like we were last year, and we did exactly what we are supposed to do to teams like that, we beat the piss out of them. That game was over when it was 74-34 with about 6 minutes left. St Joes was done. They had no answers for us. Felt good.[/quote]

Do you really think Gokin has legit quickness to guard a 3 or to create his own looks against high major D1?? You are a better judge than I am, but he seems a step slow to me. Purest stroke I’ve seen…we sure could use his 3’s.[/quote]

Dunno about that better judge business. I think Gokhan will have to work on his quickness and improve his instincts and positioning on defense (and stop trying to always go for the steal instead of defending). Until then, we have to try to hide him in a 2-3, etc… You’re right about his shot though. Who wants to guard a 6’9 guy who can shoot like that?

This[/quote]

The glass is half EMPTY!! HALF EMPTY!

Our fans hate success. We beat the piss out of a bad team. What more do you want?[/quote]

What’s wrong with saying St. Joes is a really bad team? What else do you want us to say?[/quote]

How about giving some credit to our team for playing well and doing what we needed instead of trying to “blame the win” on the other team being limited.

No one had any sympathy for us last year when we were 11-20… and this St joes team took Temple to OT and we beat Xavier last year in our worst season in a quarter century. Nothing is a given. Beating the crap out of them is what we should have done and we did.[/quote]

I didn’t know that saying a team was really bad is the reason why we won. Thanks for the explanation.[/quote]

When that’s all you say, how do you expect people to take it?

It’s like the Dad who only mentions the one play his son f—ed up in the game, and nothing he did right… Call me a dick for calling you out on it if it makes you feel better, but it’s ridiculous, and beyond tired.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:24, topic:22542”]When that’s all you say, how do you expect people to take it?

It’s like the Dad who only mentions the one play his son f—ed up in the game, and nothing he did right… Call me a dick for calling you out on it if it makes you feel better, but it’s ridiculous, and beyond tired.[/quote]

I think you are just reading too much into it. It was a simple, obvious statement that simply meant that St. Joes is a really bad team, nothing more and nothing less.

[quote=“ConcordNiners, post:25, topic:22542”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:24, topic:22542”]When that’s all you say, how do you expect people to take it?

It’s like the Dad who only mentions the one play his son f—ed up in the game, and nothing he did right… Call me a dick for calling you out on it if it makes you feel better, but it’s ridiculous, and beyond tired.[/quote]

I think you are just reading too much into it. It was a simple, obvious statement that simply meant that St. Joes is a really bad team, nothing more and nothing less.[/quote]

Possible. I’m just tired of fans trying to find something to bitch about. We won. Yay. Beer. Women. Song. Good times. Right?

[quote=“ConcordNiners, post:25, topic:22542”][quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:24, topic:22542”]When that’s all you say, how do you expect people to take it?

I think you are just reading too much into it. It was a simple, obvious statement that simply meant that St. Joes is a really bad team, nothing more and nothing less.[/quote]

Possible. I’m just tired of people trying to find something to b**** about. We won. YAY! Beer. Women. Song. Good times. Right?

We won, we’re getting Football and unc-CH lost! What more can a Niner want?

+1.

We beat a bad St. Joes team in easy fashion. We got good production from our bench which was a pleasant to see. We did what we should do against a bad team. Should we read a lot into the win? Probably not, just enjoy it but also have some perspective on who it was against. Stating St. Joes is a bad team doesn’t equal to b*tching about a win.

SJU is bad, but we haven’t been beating bad teams like that. That was a confidence building game… allowed us to regroup and fix our offense that has been broken of late. Hopefully we can carry the momentum forward. GW will be a tough game as they always seem to play well against us.

Crowd was downright pathetic.

They are who we thought they were.

PM it out if you have to guys. Let’s savor the win. We have 3 hard ones coming up next.

I was only able to make it for the 2nd half due to class, but man that was fun. When we were piling on the points the whole student section was raucous but a lot of minutes went by when it was just the bottom rows of 104 - and the frats that were cheering. Saint Joes is a bad team, but you have to remember that Fordham is and they took us to the wire. Is Fordham a more athletic team, or were we just having an awful night? Saint Joes didn’t look very athletic, Parks burned them. Anjuan also seems to play a lot better vs unathletic teams, probably because he relies on his athletecism to score and can’t hit jumpers very well. I also agree with whoever said that this wasn’t just a freak game for Ian, I think that he is back. Not that he was ever an amazing player, but I think we will see a lot better bench production from him now. I think that I can see why coach puts him in above JB. His performance in the Richmond game was amazing, but he hasn’t shown much recently to warrant the minutes we thought he deserved. Gokhan is going to be a very valuable scorer in the future. If he can add some quickness and muscle he could get some serious minutes in the future, if not, well he’s still a good scorer off the bench with ridiculous height and good passing.

If you’re going by RPI, SJUs isn’t that bad. They aren’t Fordham, Gardner-Webb, and WSSU bad. It looks like their RPI is in the top 200, which again isn’t horrific like the other teams I mentioned. How often do we beat teams in the top 200 by 37? Again, they aren’t that bad.

We’re #4 in the A10 and one win away from a 20 win season.

St. Joes reminded me of us last year. They are pretty bad, and we beat the piss out of them, exactly as it should be. Good to see that we havent burried our heads in the sand after a 2 home losses in a row. Sirin playing well against a horrible team’s bench isnt quite enough for me to annoint him the next Jobey Thomas. He has had plenty of open shots the last month or so that he hasnt made any of. Ian having a good game could be big for his confidence and as many here have pointed out, he is gonna get playing time regardless, so maybe now he can actually keep the defense honest while he’s in these last few games. Good W, I like seeing our 3rd stringers in for almost 5 min., what more could you ask for. Niners live to fight another day.

Didn’t StJ upset X or DU?

They beat Dayton.

[quote=“max, post:8, topic:22542”]If we get on a roll and knock off UR, URI, handle GW and win at least two in the conf tourney, I think we are there. I personally dont think 23 wins will get us in due to our bad losses. I think it’s 24 or win the A10 tourney.[/quote]we have NO BAD LOSSES. not many teams can make that claim. we’re probably in if we just win out in regular season. one tourney win should give us a lock. we may need 2 tourney wins if we lose another game in regular season.

agree st joe sucked. but we played well and could have beaten a lot of teams tonight.

Matt said in postgame that the Niners passed the 500 made FT’s (for theseason) mark tonight, and are threatening the record held by the FinalFour team. FF team was 549/740 74% over 33 games (16.6/game). This years team is 508/687 74% over 27 games (18.8/game)

This absolutely was a statement game. And it was a statement that needed to be made.

I went in expecting us to struggle, probably pulling out a 10pt win own the stretch. We have played so terrible it was the best I could hope for. But the guys came out and dominated an inferior team. They did what we have expected them to do against teams that are bad.

I think it was just what the doctor ordered. I’m not going to lose my mind and say we’ll win out. I still think it’s conceivable we lose any of our remaining games. But the guys came out tonight and did what they should have. And for that, I’m happy.

…lose one…7 game winning streak…lose a few…7 game winning streak…lose a few… ???