Stadium expansion and 2015 opener?

HIGH FIVE LINE!

The experiential difference between watching a NASCAR race on television and attending one in person is unlike any other sport. Attending a race engages all five senses… you can feel the power from the cars, you can smell the smoke… at times you can even faintly taste it. NASCAR on TV is only for those who enjoy the sport enough to keep up with it, and it doesn’t even compare with actually attending a race.

I think the reduction in seating capacity is a part of the same trend that we’re seeing in college sports, and really sports in general. It’s not about TV so much as it is about more competition for our time overall and sports taking a lower priority than other things in a lot of ways.

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:499, topic:28757”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:496, topic:28757”][quote=“Niner National, post:495, topic:28757”][quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

CMS is removing 41,000 seats. Daytona has taken out 67,000.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/12/tear-it-down-charlotte-track-seating.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+%28Charlotte+Business+Journal%29[/quote]Nascar is truly a sport where it is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better to watch at home.

Sometimes I prefer to watch football at home, but I still really like going to games most of the time.[/quote]

Really depends on how big a fan you are. For a casual fanw atching at home is def better. If you really follow a driver though you want to be at the race so you can follow him through the race rather than just the leaders that you get on tv.[/quote]

Yeah, nascar is a ton better in person. No commercial breaks, and what you watch isn’t at he whim of a director who has to make sure the Home Depot car is on screen for a certain amount of time. plus some middle aged women are drunk enough to flash their boobs.[/quote]

But you guys are thinking about just the TV. I can have trackpass up on one computer monitor and the live broadcast or in car feed on another. This allows me to see the lap times of any driver, see any driver on the track (virtually), and hear any driver. You don’t have access to all of that and your personal toilet at the track. I think these things are part of it, but you figure in the ticket prices and the food costs, it doesn’t make sense to go. I went to CMS in the late 90’s early 00’s and it was packed. You had to walk a mile after you parked. I went this past May and we parked next to the track in an almost empty lot. I was amazed at the lack of fans at the track.

Sports in general are taking a back seat to other events in life. Everybody is over the money that athletes get and the costs to see them. It feels like sports are dying a slow death.

[quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/12/tear-it-down-charlotte-track-seating.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+(Charlotte+Business+Journal)[/quote]

That’s an amazing reduction in attendance. But the article stated that they have a new record TV contract. Amazing that they can still get more TV money when their attendance is falling so much.

It must be the strength of live sports programming compared to other types of content.

[quote=“Niner_Alum_2000, post:503, topic:28757”][quote=“itsbraille49, post:499, topic:28757”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:496, topic:28757”][quote=“Niner National, post:495, topic:28757”][quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/12/tear-it-down-charlotte-track-seating.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+%28Charlotte+Business+Journal%29[/quote]Nascar is truly a sport where it is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better to watch at home.

Sometimes I prefer to watch football at home, but I still really like going to games most of the time.[/quote]

Really depends on how big a fan you are. For a casual fanw atching at home is def better. If you really follow a driver though you want to be at the race so you can follow him through the race rather than just the leaders that you get on tv.[/quote]

Yeah, nascar is a ton better in person. No commercial breaks, and what you watch isn’t at he whim of a director who has to make sure the Home Depot car is on screen for a certain amount of time. plus some middle aged women are drunk enough to flash their boobs.[/quote]

But you guys are thinking about just the TV. I can have trackpass up on one computer monitor and the live broadcast or in car feed on another. This allows me to see the lap times of any driver, see any driver on the track (virtually), and hear any driver. You don’t have access to all of that and your personal toilet at the track. I think these things are part of it, but you figure in the ticket prices and the food costs, it doesn’t make sense to go. I went to CMS in the late 90’s early 00’s and it was packed. You had to walk a mile after you parked. I went this past May and we parked next to the track in an almost empty lot. I was amazed at the lack of fans at the track.

Sports in general are taking a back seat to other events in life. Everybody is over the money that athletes get and the costs to see them. It feels like sports are dying a slow death.[/quote]And yet the NCAA is rushing headlong towards this as fast as they can go.

[quote=“Niner_Alum_2000, post:503, topic:28757”][quote=“itsbraille49, post:499, topic:28757”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:496, topic:28757”][quote=“Niner National, post:495, topic:28757”][quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

Sports in general are taking a back seat to other events in life. Everybody is over the money that athletes get and the costs to see them. It feels like sports are dying a slow death.[/quote]

I get what you are saying about sports dying a slow death. I think the TV money will help it survive for a while and eventually it will level off to a new normal hopefully.

All I can say is that most of the people I know under 30 and almost all the kids I know either don’t give 2 shits about sports or only have a passing interest, mainly for big events or if it can serve as a backdrop to them hanging with their friends.

[quote=“Gassman, post:504, topic:28757”][quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/12/tear-it-down-charlotte-track-seating.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+%28Charlotte+Business+Journal%29[/quote]

That’s an amazing reduction in attendance. But the article stated that they have a new record TV contract. Amazing that they can still get more TV money when their attendance is falling so much.

It must be the strength of live sports programming compared to other types of content.[/quote]

Well I’d assume TV money is up BECAUSE more people are watching from home and not going in person.

To get back on track, I’d think a 30,000 seat stadium for us would be the max needed. With dropping attendance nationwide there could be a lot of empty seats in 50,000 seat stadiums. It’s just too easy to watch the game from home.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:507, topic:28757”][quote=“Gassman, post:504, topic:28757”][quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/12/tear-it-down-charlotte-track-seating.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+%28Charlotte+Business+Journal%29[/quote]

It must be the strength of live sports programming compared to other types of content.[/quote]

Well I’d assume TV money is up BECAUSE more people are watching from home and not going in person.

To get back on track, I’d think a 30,000 seat stadium for us would be the max needed. With dropping attendance nationwide there could be a lot of empty seats in 50,000 seat stadiums. It’s just too easy to watch the game from home.[/quote]

This is the awkward conundrum that we, and many programs of similar size/importance, are facing. We want to be on TV, because it helps with recruiting and legitimacy. We DONT want to be on local tv, because it makes it easy to watch from home, which kills attendance. BUT, due to our size/importance, ONLY local tv stations like WCCB are willing to pick us up for any significant number of games, save for the ASN and, in C-USA, fox sports 1 or the occasional ESPN family of networks game. It’s a bad circle for us.

I much prefer local TV for our level. It creates a better buzz and engages the community far more than national TV does. A lot of customers don’t have anything past broadcast networks. They are also the people most likely to become invested in the program.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:507, topic:28757”][quote=“Gassman, post:504, topic:28757”][quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

To get back on track, I’d think a 30,000 seat stadium for us would be the max needed. With dropping attendance nationwide there could be a lot of empty seats in 50,000 seat stadiums. It’s just too easy to watch the game from home.[/quote]

I agree that would be wise. Full at 30K is better than 35 in a 50K in a lot of ways. Quality versus quantity.

With the falling attendance numbers it seems to me that % filled, quality of stadium experience, quality of atmosphere will carry more weight in the future than raw numbers.

[quote=“jfickett, post:508, topic:28757”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:507, topic:28757”][quote=“Gassman, post:504, topic:28757”][quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

This is the awkward conundrum that we, and many programs of similar size/importance, are facing. We want to be on TV, because it helps with recruiting and legitimacy. We DONT want to be on local tv, because it makes it easy to watch from home, which kills attendance. BUT, due to our size/importance, ONLY local tv stations like WCCB are willing to pick us up for any significant number of games, save for the ASN and, in C-USA, fox sports 1 or the occasional ESPN family of networks game. It’s a bad circle for us.[/quote]

This is true but despite all of that, in our current ~15,300 seat stadium, I still believe that if we were winning a lot, a large majority of the folks watching on TV (as well as students that wouldn’t normally care) would buy tickets to games and sell out the place.

Winning = sell-outs

That formula never fails (unless if you’re Marshall apparently… the empty seats in the WKU game and C-USA title game are still a huge WTF to me).

It was cold and supposed to rain. Plus these champ games are unscheduled until a week or two beforehand. And there’s the fact that its Huntington WV. I’m impressed with what Marshall draws for regular season games as economically depressed at that entire state is.

[quote=“SteauA, post:511, topic:28757”][quote=“jfickett, post:508, topic:28757”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:507, topic:28757”][quote=“Gassman, post:504, topic:28757”][quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

This is the awkward conundrum that we, and many programs of similar size/importance, are facing. We want to be on TV, because it helps with recruiting and legitimacy. We DONT want to be on local tv, because it makes it easy to watch from home, which kills attendance. BUT, due to our size/importance, ONLY local tv stations like WCCB are willing to pick us up for any significant number of games, save for the ASN and, in C-USA, fox sports 1 or the occasional ESPN family of networks game. It’s a bad circle for us.[/quote]

This is true but despite all of that, in our current ~15,300 seat stadium, I still believe that if we were winning a lot, a large majority of the folks watching on TV (as well as students that wouldn’t normally care) would buy tickets to games and sell out the place.

Winning = sell-outs

That formula never fails (unless if you’re Marshall apparently… the empty seats in the WKU game and C-USA title game are still a huge WTF to me).[/quote]I think 49erFootballNow pretty much nailed it, but it was like 40 degrees and raining. I’m not going to hang out in that kind of weather to watch a sporting event.

[quote=“Niner National, post:513, topic:28757”][quote=“SteauA, post:511, topic:28757”][quote=“jfickett, post:508, topic:28757”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:507, topic:28757”][quote=“Gassman, post:504, topic:28757”][quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

Winning = sell-outs

That formula never fails (unless if you’re Marshall apparently… the empty seats in the WKU game and C-USA title game are still a huge WTF to me).[/quote]I think 49erFootballNow pretty much nailed it, but it was like 40 degrees and raining. I’m not going to hang out in that kind of weather to watch a sporting event.[/quote]

If Charlotte was hosting the C-USA title game and it was 40 and raining you wouldn’t go to the game? Really?

Our fanbase is soft.

[quote=“SteauA, post:514, topic:28757”][quote=“Niner National, post:513, topic:28757”][quote=“SteauA, post:511, topic:28757”][quote=“jfickett, post:508, topic:28757”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:507, topic:28757”][quote=“Gassman, post:504, topic:28757”][quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

Winning = sell-outs

That formula never fails (unless if you’re Marshall apparently… the empty seats in the WKU game and C-USA title game are still a huge WTF to me).[/quote]I think 49erFootballNow pretty much nailed it, but it was like 40 degrees and raining. I’m not going to hang out in that kind of weather to watch a sporting event.[/quote]

If Charlotte was hosting the C-USA title game and it was 40 and raining you wouldn’t go to the game? Really?

Our fanbase is soft.[/quote]

I hope our stadium expansion plans include a retractable roof over the stadium. That way our fans won’t get rained on or sunburned.

[quote=“SteauA, post:514, topic:28757”][quote=“Niner National, post:513, topic:28757”][quote=“SteauA, post:511, topic:28757”][quote=“jfickett, post:508, topic:28757”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:507, topic:28757”][quote=“Gassman, post:504, topic:28757”][quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

Winning = sell-outs

Our fanbase is soft.[/quote]I just don’t care about sports enough to be miserable.

clt recommends gore tex.

I don’t care about sports enough but I do care about the Niners enough to basically sit through anything. To each his own.

[quote=“Niner National, post:516, topic:28757”][quote=“SteauA, post:514, topic:28757”][quote=“Niner National, post:513, topic:28757”][quote=“SteauA, post:511, topic:28757”][quote=“jfickett, post:508, topic:28757”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:507, topic:28757”][quote=“Gassman, post:504, topic:28757”][quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

Winning = sell-outs

Our fanbase is soft.[/quote]I just don’t care about sports enough to be miserable.[/quote]

But you care enough to have 6000+ posts on a very niche sports message board…

[quote=“SteauA, post:519, topic:28757”][quote=“Niner National, post:516, topic:28757”][quote=“SteauA, post:514, topic:28757”][quote=“Niner National, post:513, topic:28757”][quote=“SteauA, post:511, topic:28757”][quote=“jfickett, post:508, topic:28757”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:507, topic:28757”][quote=“Gassman, post:504, topic:28757”][quote=“Nugget, post:494, topic:28757”]Charlotte Motor Speedway is reducing its seating capacity by 31%. Can any correlation be made to football? Are people less likely to buy tickets to any sporting events now? I don’t know.

Winning = sell-outs

Our fanbase is soft.[/quote]I just don’t care about sports enough to be miserable.[/quote]

But you care enough to have 6000+ posts on a very niche sports message board…[/quote]the two aren’t related. I enjoy sports. I don’t enjoy sports at the sake of comfort and enjoyment. There are counless other ways to entertain myself.

As I get older, I care less and less anyway. It’s simply one of many forms of entertainment.