State of Charlotte Flag

Since my State Flag of Charlotte got a pretty good response, I think I’m going to make this happen. However, I’d like some input from you guys.

Here’s what I have now:

It has been requested that I remove the “University of North Carolina” text from the seal, and I agree… I’d have a hard time getting a flag made with any direct reference to the University on it for copyright reasons.

So, that pretty much rules out putting “University of Charlotte” in there as well.

The two directions that I thought about going:

1. “The Great Seal of the State of Charlotte” replacing the “University of North Carolina” text and “1946” replacing the “at Charlotte 1946” at the bottom.

2. Placing the names of the counties that make up the State of Charlotte around the perimeter of the seal. My question for this is: which counties actually make up the State of Charlotte?

Give me your opinions, guys!

Awesome! I can kick some cash your way to help out if need be. I would stick with just altering to say University of Charlotte and the date. I like the county idea - but we have students from all over the state that create “The State of Charlotte”, so that is hard to do.

I feel like I’ve missed a conversation somewhere. Can the meaning of “State of Charlotte” be explained a bit further? What is the flag supposed to represent or advocate?

I like it how it is. Dropping “of North Carolina at” is a good idea. Forget the “state” business imo.

I figured it was just supposed to be a reference to the City of Charlotte flag with our seal instead of theirs.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:1, topic:27896”]Since my State Flag of Charlotte got a pretty good response, I think I’m going to make this happen. However, I’d like some input from you guys.

Here’s what I have now:

It has been requested that I remove the “University of North Carolina” text from the seal, and I agree… I’d have a hard time getting a flag made with any direct reference to the University on it for copyright reasons.

So, that pretty much rules out putting “University of Charlotte” in there as well.

The two directions that I thought about going:

1. “The Great Seal of the State of Charlotte” replacing the “University of North Carolina” text and “1946” replacing the “at Charlotte 1946” at the bottom.

2. Placing the names of the counties that make up the State of Charlotte around the perimeter of the seal. My question for this is: which counties actually make up the State of Charlotte?

Give me your opinions, guys![/quote]Charlotte is 100% contained within Mecklenburg County. That may not have been what you were asking, but that is how I read it.

If I can find a place that will make it with a direct reference to the school, I’ll go that route.

I know we wouldn’t print something like that here without permission… but I’ll look around.

And NN, I know that… I was more or less asking how far out the theoretical “borders” would go. NWA makes a great point, though… students and alumni come from all over.

I might be wrong too - but I took it to mean what makes up the the state as in the surrounding areas, basically the metrolina area.

Love this idea and I love the design.

How about just “Charlotte 49ers” on the top and “Established 1946” on the bottom.

I am thinking that #stateofcharlotte has no geographical boundries anyway. It can be wherever you are.

Sounds like Margaritaville

I also think it should simply be “University of Charlotte” on top with either “1946” on the bottom or “State of Charlotte” or perhaps #StateofCharlotte to comply with current social media trends.

I think a grassroots effort to popularize the phrase “University of Charlotte” with stuff like this flag, or individual designed apparel would be a great way to spread the word on name change.

A hashtag would look pretty tacky IMO

reminds me of the confederate flag

Agreed. Times ten.

Well, that’s because it is derived from the Charlotte City Flag:

Which is derived from the Scottish flag:

Which, one could argue, inspired the Confederate Flag.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:14, topic:27896”]Well, that’s because it is derived from the Mecklenburg County Flag:

[/quote]

Just a minor correction, that is the City of Charlotte’s flag, not Mecklenburg. The actual county has no flag that I know of.

[quote=“49or bust, post:15, topic:27896”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:14, topic:27896”]Well, that’s because it is derived from the Mecklenburg County Flag:

[/quote]

Just a minor correction, that is the City of Charlotte’s flag, not Mecklenburg. The actual county has no flag that I know of.[/quote]

Noted and fixed. Thanks!

[quote=“SteauA, post:8, topic:27896”]Love this idea and I love the design.

How about just “Charlotte 49ers” on the top and “Established 1946” on the bottom.[/quote]
I like this idea.

[quote=“VA49er, post:17, topic:27896”][quote=“SteauA, post:8, topic:27896”]Love this idea and I love the design.

How about just “Charlotte 49ers” on the top and “Established 1946” on the bottom.[/quote]
I like this idea.[/quote]

I do too, but I’m concerned with the copyright issues that would come with it.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:18, topic:27896”][quote=“VA49er, post:17, topic:27896”][quote=“SteauA, post:8, topic:27896”]Love this idea and I love the design.

I like this idea.[/quote]

I do too, but I’m concerned with the copyright issues that would come with it.[/quote]

Stick with University of Charlotte. We really need to start socializing that and any opportunity to explain why we need to change it is a good one. THere are going to be a lot of alums who are not going to be crazy about it and something like this is a good way to get them talking so we can counter.

Don’t mean to get off topic, but I would love to get my hands on the blue saltire Mecklenburg or the green Charlotte crown flag. I know they’re for government use only but how awesome would it be to fly one of those at a tailgate?