State of Charlotte Flag

Since my State Flag of Charlotte got a pretty good response, I think Iā€™m going to make this happen. However, Iā€™d like some input from you guys.

Hereā€™s what I have now:

It has been requested that I remove the ā€œUniversity of North Carolinaā€ text from the seal, and I agreeā€¦ Iā€™d have a hard time getting a flag made with any direct reference to the University on it for copyright reasons.

So, that pretty much rules out putting ā€œUniversity of Charlotteā€ in there as well.

The two directions that I thought about going:

1. ā€œThe Great Seal of the State of Charlotteā€ replacing the ā€œUniversity of North Carolinaā€ text and ā€œ1946ā€ replacing the ā€œat Charlotte 1946ā€ at the bottom.

2. Placing the names of the counties that make up the State of Charlotte around the perimeter of the seal. My question for this is: which counties actually make up the State of Charlotte?

Give me your opinions, guys!

Awesome! I can kick some cash your way to help out if need be. I would stick with just altering to say University of Charlotte and the date. I like the county idea - but we have students from all over the state that create ā€œThe State of Charlotteā€, so that is hard to do.

I feel like Iā€™ve missed a conversation somewhere. Can the meaning of ā€œState of Charlotteā€ be explained a bit further? What is the flag supposed to represent or advocate?

I like it how it is. Dropping ā€œof North Carolina atā€ is a good idea. Forget the ā€œstateā€ business imo.

I figured it was just supposed to be a reference to the City of Charlotte flag with our seal instead of theirs.

[quote=ā€œZombieLew, post:1, topic:27896ā€]Since my State Flag of Charlotte got a pretty good response, I think Iā€™m going to make this happen. However, Iā€™d like some input from you guys.

Hereā€™s what I have now:

It has been requested that I remove the ā€œUniversity of North Carolinaā€ text from the seal, and I agreeā€¦ Iā€™d have a hard time getting a flag made with any direct reference to the University on it for copyright reasons.

So, that pretty much rules out putting ā€œUniversity of Charlotteā€ in there as well.

The two directions that I thought about going:

1. ā€œThe Great Seal of the State of Charlotteā€ replacing the ā€œUniversity of North Carolinaā€ text and ā€œ1946ā€ replacing the ā€œat Charlotte 1946ā€ at the bottom.

2. Placing the names of the counties that make up the State of Charlotte around the perimeter of the seal. My question for this is: which counties actually make up the State of Charlotte?

Give me your opinions, guys![/quote]Charlotte is 100% contained within Mecklenburg County. That may not have been what you were asking, but that is how I read it.

If I can find a place that will make it with a direct reference to the school, Iā€™ll go that route.

I know we wouldnā€™t print something like that here without permissionā€¦ but Iā€™ll look around.

And NN, I know thatā€¦ I was more or less asking how far out the theoretical ā€œbordersā€ would go. NWA makes a great point, thoughā€¦ students and alumni come from all over.

I might be wrong too - but I took it to mean what makes up the the state as in the surrounding areas, basically the metrolina area.

Love this idea and I love the design.

How about just ā€œCharlotte 49ersā€ on the top and ā€œEstablished 1946ā€ on the bottom.

I am thinking that #stateofcharlotte has no geographical boundries anyway. It can be wherever you are.

Sounds like Margaritaville

I also think it should simply be ā€œUniversity of Charlotteā€ on top with either ā€œ1946ā€ on the bottom or ā€œState of Charlotteā€ or perhaps #StateofCharlotte to comply with current social media trends.

I think a grassroots effort to popularize the phrase ā€œUniversity of Charlotteā€ with stuff like this flag, or individual designed apparel would be a great way to spread the word on name change.

A hashtag would look pretty tacky IMO

reminds me of the confederate flag

Agreed. Times ten.

Well, thatā€™s because it is derived from the Charlotte City Flag:

Which is derived from the Scottish flag:

Which, one could argue, inspired the Confederate Flag.

[quote=ā€œZombieLew, post:14, topic:27896ā€]Well, thatā€™s because it is derived from the Mecklenburg County Flag:

[/quote]

Just a minor correction, that is the City of Charlotteā€™s flag, not Mecklenburg. The actual county has no flag that I know of.

[quote=ā€œ49or bust, post:15, topic:27896ā€][quote=ā€œZombieLew, post:14, topic:27896ā€]Well, thatā€™s because it is derived from the Mecklenburg County Flag:

[/quote]

Just a minor correction, that is the City of Charlotteā€™s flag, not Mecklenburg. The actual county has no flag that I know of.[/quote]

Noted and fixed. Thanks!

[quote=ā€œSteauA, post:8, topic:27896ā€]Love this idea and I love the design.

How about just ā€œCharlotte 49ersā€ on the top and ā€œEstablished 1946ā€ on the bottom.[/quote]
I like this idea.

[quote=ā€œVA49er, post:17, topic:27896ā€][quote=ā€œSteauA, post:8, topic:27896ā€]Love this idea and I love the design.

How about just ā€œCharlotte 49ersā€ on the top and ā€œEstablished 1946ā€ on the bottom.[/quote]
I like this idea.[/quote]

I do too, but Iā€™m concerned with the copyright issues that would come with it.

[quote=ā€œZombieLew, post:18, topic:27896ā€][quote=ā€œVA49er, post:17, topic:27896ā€][quote=ā€œSteauA, post:8, topic:27896ā€]Love this idea and I love the design.

I like this idea.[/quote]

I do too, but Iā€™m concerned with the copyright issues that would come with it.[/quote]

Stick with University of Charlotte. We really need to start socializing that and any opportunity to explain why we need to change it is a good one. THere are going to be a lot of alums who are not going to be crazy about it and something like this is a good way to get them talking so we can counter.

Donā€™t mean to get off topic, but I would love to get my hands on the blue saltire Mecklenburg or the green Charlotte crown flag. I know theyā€™re for government use only but how awesome would it be to fly one of those at a tailgate?