Statistics don't lie; The wrong people are taking too many shots!

[hr]
Statistics don’t lie; The wrong people are taking too many shots!
[hr]
Player FGA % made
[hr]
Wilderness 83 61.4%
[hr]
Braswell 196 46.9
[hr]
Spears 358 46.4
[hr]
Harris 151 42.4
[hr]
Jones 136 41.2
[hr]
Sherrill 37 40.5
[hr]
Dewhurst 52 40.4
[hr]
Coleman 64 37.5
[hr]
Green 319 36.7
[hr]
Andersen 98 31.6

Aside from the La Salle miracle shot Wilderness only takes layups, that’s why his FG % is so high. He can’t consistently hit anything else, especially free throws. Also…

Barnett 40, 37.5%, 37.5% from 3
Sirin 55, 36.4%, 42.1% from 3
Parks, 11, 54.5%

37.5% and 42% from 3 and they’re not playing? I’d understand if Green and Ian were great rebounders, assist men, or defenders, but they’re not. This team would be much better if it had a consistent outside threat. Both Sirin and Barnett have taken enough shots to show that their numbers are not a fluke. They’re the best shooters we have on this team.

52 FGs for Dewhurst? Even though its been over 29 games, that number seems too high for Charles.

[quote=“hky49er, post:1, topic:22621”][hr]
Statistics don’t lie; The wrong people are taking too many shots!
[hr]
Player FGA % made
[hr]
Wilderness 83 61.4%
[hr]
Braswell 196 46.9
[hr]
Spears 358 46.4
[hr]
Harris 151 42.4
[hr]
Jones 136 41.2
[hr]
Sherrill 37 40.5
[hr]
Dewhurst 52 40.4
[hr]
Coleman 64 37.5
[hr]
Green 319 36.7
[hr]
Andersen 98 31.6[/quote]

So who are you saying should be taking more shots An’Juan?

Other than Green who has played abysmal lately the shots are pretty on par with the shooting percentages. As prc pointed out An’juan has fewer shots because all he shoots is layups and the occasional missed jumpers to try and keep the defense honest.

Sure Ian shoots more than Dew but it’s not his fault Dew lacks the confidence to shoot.

thread fail

its like saying Will Perdue should of shot more than MJ

Those stats show that we are not getting adequate offensive production from our 1,2 & 3 positions.

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:7, topic:22621”]Those stats show that we are not getting adequate offensive production from our 1,2 & 3 positions.[/quote]Bingo. Thank God that we have some inside threats this year, otherwise we’d be scoring 40ppg.

What was Greens % before these past 8-10 games? He just went coLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDD! Icey! Freezing! Arctic! Kanye West’s coldest story ever told!

But I would say his shot selection needs to improve and it causing his lower shooting %. He also needs to drive more like he was doing.

And it would be amazing if our guards learned what a pull-up jumper was inside the 3 point line. Of our guards, Ian and Sirin are actually the ones that comes to mind that do this occasionaly.

I saw Sirin drive inside the 3pt line and shoot a 16ft jumper last night that hit nothing but the left side of the backboard.

After Derrio’s early airball…4 consecutive possessions with a TO…then Sirin’s 16ft brick…I literally thought to myself that I was actually watching a D1 Basketball team. It made me literally laugh out loud at how piss poor our offense has un-evolved since mid year.

This thread makes me think of banking…

“Hmmm… So OptionARMs are the least forclosed on type of mortgage AND the yield is high? Yes! We should increase the amount of OptionARMs we underwrite.”

Just because one player has a higher shooting percentage does not necessarily mean he should shoot more.

We also shoot something on the order of 75% from the line, does that mean we should shoot more free throws? While that would be great, you have to take the open shots, hence our problem - we don’t create open shots.

Doesn’t anyone on this team know how to pick and roll? It’s like they always want to roll to some crazy ass spot before ever touching the defender. Grow a pair, take the hit, once he bounces - ROLL.

Seriously though … the shots we “create” suck. That’s the reason for the statistics.

What was Greens % before these past 8-10 games? He just went coLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDD! Icey! Freezing! Arctic! Kanye West’s coldest story ever told!

But I would say his shot selection needs to improve and it causing his lower shooting %. He also needs to drive more like he was doing.

And it would be amazing if our guards learned what a pull-up jumper was inside the 3 point line. Of our guards, Ian and Sirin are actually the ones that comes to mind that do this occasionaly.[/quote]

This is so accurate it’s not even funny. Green needs to take more advantage of the fact that he is a decent free throw shooter. I am a firm believer in what I heard one TV analyst say: “Sometimes it helps a guy get it going if he can just see the ball going through the hoop, so it can be beneficial to abandon the perimeter shot and take it to the basket for a layup and/or free throws”.

And just like you said, we need to learn how to pull up and take the mid-range shot sometimes. The mid-range shot has pretty much died away from today’s game. It’s either a 3 pointer, or try to take it all the way to the hole for a dunk. I can understand trying to get layups, but sometimes when you see a defender in position to take a charge, you need to just stop and hit the mid-range jumper. Plus, our guys need to be introduced to the pump fake. It is like they have never heard of it.

Something has changed and in my humble opinion, players are not working together as a team to get the best shot selection as they did early in the season. Spears has taken 358 shots and he should be the one with the most shots. It is my opinion Green is taking too many quick shots (319) without trying to get the ball to other players for a better shot selection.There is a tremendous falloff in number of shots taken by other players after Green, Braswell (196) being the closest. I would just like to see the ball moved around a little more before a shot is taken than it has been lately.

Well said. Earlier in the year our offense was very patient, lately we’ve taken the first shot available, and as we know, hasn’t worked.