Stop Donating

[B][SIZE=5]Until Judy Rose is fired.[/SIZE][/B]

[B]Tennis???[/B] for Godā€™s sake, are you kidding me? The amount of time it took to drive past the tennis facilities is the amount of time i spent watching 49er tennis, AND I LOVE TENNIS. I never even saw people other than parents in the stands. It also charges ZERO for admission.

From what i have seen the courts are very nice. We dont live in Buffalo, so we donā€™t need an indoor facility.

If this is Judy Roseā€™s idea of moving our athletics program forward, i ask that she [B]leave.[/B]

Please do not donate to any more of this, your 49er Club donations help fuel this. If you think we are building a program that in 5 years will be looking at football, and will be out of the Atlantic 10 you are DEAD wrong and are wasting your money.

ON TRACK TO BE FULLY FUNDED INā€¦3 TO 4 YEARS!!!

That will have meant you have been here 2 decades, and then we will be fully funded. Great Job!!!

Oddly enough, the few who do donate seem to have more clout than the masses who donā€™t.

[QUOTE=ninerID;207064]Please do not donate to any more of this, your 49er Club donations help fuel this. If you think we are building a program that in 5 years will be looking at football, and will be out of the Atlantic 10 you are DEAD wrong and are wasting your money.

That will have meant you have been here 2 decades, and then we will be fully funded. Great Job!!![/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Green]Iā€™m going to politely respond to this. First of all, 49er Club donations are for scholarship assistance to student-athletes participating in 16 varsity sports at UNC Charlotte. [B]Those funds are used for scholarships, not for improvements in facilities.[/B] The capital campaigns may be run through the 49er Club but the funding is entirely separate. In 1976-77 (Final Four season) the ONLY program scholarshipped of seven teams was menā€™s basketball. The endowment is increasing and along with money donatated in the next couple of years, every sport will be fully scholarshipped.

Iā€™m all for football, but keep the issues apart. Remember, by adding football (and additional womenā€™s sports) you are talking about doubling the number of scholarships currently funded by the 49er Club. We canā€™t drop many sports either because conferences and the NCAA have sports team quotas for each division. Honestly, if you want to see football, those donations should be increasing.[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=Red]MERRY CHRISTMAS![/COLOR][/B]

[QUOTE]We are on pace to do that and have that completed within three to four years. Having said that, letā€™s assume that happened tomorrow, would we grow our athletic program at that time? There is no doubt and no question there is a tremendous amount of interest about football, interest that we see on a daily basis.[/QUOTE]

FWIW - I thought it was an excellent interview. FINALLY SOME STRAIGHT ANSWERS!! Thatā€™s a pretty good Xmas present. There was not a lot of question dodging or excuses or mysterious responses. Although, I didnā€™t necessarily like everything that was said, there were cases where she seemed to be playing the role of the messenger - not the decision-maker.

The best part of the interview is the top quote. A deadline has been set and interest has been acknowledged.

HP is exactly right. You shouldnā€™t cut your donation to the 49er Club if you do not want a tennis facility. It will happen regardless because the funding will come from an entirely different area. Is an indoor tennis facility ludacris? Yes it is. Will you stop it by not donating? No, you wonā€™t.

No one should stop donating. That is nuts.:49ers:

HP is exactly right. You shouldn't cut your donation to the 49er Club if you do not want a tennis facility. It will happen regardless because the funding will come from an entirely different area. Is an indoor tennis facility ludacris? Yes it is. Will you stop it by not donating? No, you won't.

Okay, then what do we do?

I have never seen such stupidity in my life. The way we just allow mediocrity to happen all the while blowing money on ridiculous items such as an indoor tennis facility. I find it hard to believe that on one hand we fear trying to fund a football team, but can somehow fund a 7 million dollar tennis facility. Nobody goes to the games, nobody reads about the games on the internet, therfore there is no sponsorship.

We are on track to be fully funded in 3 to 4 years. Please note people that, that does not mean that we plan to increase our donations. That simply means when the North Carolina stat govā€™t allows for out of state participants to be counted as instate we will be fully funded. I have done the math and showed it on this board. TO SUMMARIZE: In 3 to 4 years we will be fully funded, thanks in no part to our athletics department.

The fact that we allow this constant second rate system to stay in ā€œpowerā€ is an atrocity.

[QUOTE=missy49er;207102]No one should stop donating. That is nuts.:49ers:[/QUOTE]

you are dead wrong.

NOT giving money to the UNCC athletic dept is your ONLY vote against Judy Roseā€¦YOUR ONLY VOTE.

Fact, the foundation is shrinking. They did top $1,000,000 last year, but with alot fewer donors. The $500-$1000 donor is disappearing in a hot economy when it could be on FIRE.

[QUOTE=ninerID;207103]Okay, then what do we do?

I have never seen such stupidity in my life. The way we just allow mediocrity to happen all the while blowing money on ridiculous items such as an indoor tennis facility. I find it hard to believe that on one hand we fear trying to fund a football team, but can somehow fund a 7 million dollar tennis facility. Nobody goes to the games, nobody reads about the games on the internet, therfore there is no sponsorship.

We are on track to be fully funded in 3 to 4 years. Please note people that, that does not mean that we plan to increase our donations. That simply means when the North Carolina stat govā€™t allows for out of state participants to be counted as instate we will be fully funded. I have done the math and showed it on this board. TO SUMMARIZE: In 3 to 4 years we will be fully funded, thanks in no part to our athletics department.

The fact that we allow this constant second rate system to stay in ā€œpowerā€ is an atrocity.[/QUOTE]

We would be fully funded next week if a new AD came in to raise hopes and spirits.

Stop donating? I guess youā€™re suicidal too? Please get help.

[QUOTE=metro;207114]you are dead wrong.

NOT giving money to the UNCC athletic dept is your ONLY vote against Judy Roseā€¦YOUR ONLY VOTE.

Fact, the foundation is shrinking. They did top $1,000,000 last year, but with alot fewer donors. The $500-$1000 donor is disappearing in a hot economy when it could be on FIRE.[/QUOTE]

i usually agree with you. but not this time. itā€™s not worth the possible consequences that could occur if everyone stops donating. if you donā€™t want to donate thatā€™s your business and thatā€™s fine.

The bigger problem is the people who never started donating. If the school started a football team, how many additional donors do you think there would be? How much would everyone increase their donations then? There would be NO discussion of withholding donations. Rather, people would be debating how much to give. Football gives recent alums another reason to donate. A new tennis facility wonā€™t make recent alums say ā€œMan, I need to start giving 5% of my paycheck! Look at how nice our tennis courts are! Imagine how good my seats would be at the new tennis stadium if I donated another $500 this year!ā€

[QUOTE=ninerID;207103]I find it hard to believe that on one hand we fear trying to fund a football team, but can somehow fund a 7 million dollar tennis facility. Nobody goes to the games, nobody reads about the games on the internet, therfore there is no sponsorship.[/QUOTE]
There might be a tennis player/fan or two out there that believe spending $6 million on a baseball stadium is ridiculous. If one sport has great facilities, all sports should have the same quality of facilities and the tennis are the last ones that havenā€™t gotten an upgrade.

[QUOTE=ninerID;207103]We are on track to be fully funded in 3 to 4 years. Please note people that, that does not mean that we plan to increase our donations. That simply means when the North Carolina stat govā€™t allows for out of state participants to be counted as instate we will be fully funded. I have done the math and showed it on this board. TO SUMMARIZE: In 3 to 4 years we will be fully funded, thanks in no part to our athletics department.[/QUOTE]
You are correct, the state law has been changed for the future. However, if the donations donā€™t continue (with yearly rising tuition costs) there still wonā€™t be enough to fund each scholarship. Donā€™t forget, that you (49er Club members) will actually be paying the $200, or whatever it ends up being, additional activity fee costs for the 200 student-athletes now on scholarship and the 150 extra athletes we will eventually have with football and additional teams.

[B][SIZE=5]Until Judy Rose is fired.[/SIZE][/B]

Tennis??? for Godā€™s sake, are you kidding me? The amount of time it took to drive past the tennis facilities is the amount of time i spent watching 49er tennis, AND I LOVE TENNIS. I never even saw people other than parents in the stands. It also charges ZERO for admission.

From what i have seen the courts are very nice. We dont live in Buffalo, so we donā€™t need an indoor facility.

If this is Judy Roseā€™s idea of moving our athletics program forward, i ask that she leave.

Please do not donate to any more of this, your 49er Club donations help fuel this. If you think we are building a program that in 5 years will be looking at football, and will be out of the Atlantic 10 you are DEAD wrong and are wasting your money.

That will have meant you have been here 2 decades, and then we will be fully funded. Great Job!!!

i really didnt want to respond to this because of the thought of not donating because we want to increase our facilities, in a sport where we have players ranked very high in the nation, doesnā€™t make senseā€¦building a tennis facility does not mean that the school does not want football, or we wonā€™t have it, it just says we care about athletics, especially the ones we have and are trying to improve upon them to make them some of the best in the NCAA to help in recruiting and development of CHARLOTTE student athletes

think about itā€¦we have a basketball team that was ranked 18th 2 years ago, 7 of the past ten years we went to the post season, and its about to be our 30th anniversary of our final four yearā€¦yet we still canā€™t sell out halton, still are not fully funded, and still have major problems getting people excited not only about the program but about our schoolā€¦which therefore hinders our recruiting

i know the time is now or very soon if we want a team with a stadium on campusā€¦but the reality is we do not have enough backing from our alumni to start one, nor is there a big name company ready to slap its name all over everything and give us millions to do itā€¦i want a football team as bad as you do, i promise, but i also do not want to hurt our other athletic programs, coaches and student athletes who are representing charlotte with the up most class, and then turning around and giving back to the school

if i was the AD or chancellor, i too would be very timid about the starting of a football team due to the fact of the minimal support we get for our teams we have now who have proven to be successful

so my answer to this question is up your gift each year, and write judy, i promise she reads all the emails, telling her how much you want football and thats mainly why you are raising your amount your givingā€¦cause the truth is no one is going to follow you on this, and if some do it will be minimal and have no impact on football, the only effect it will have is maybe giving one less scholarship to a very worthy student athleteā€¦maybe a golfer for our top 25 golf team, a baseball player who could go pro and get pub like john maine, a womens soccer player for our team that was ranked as high as #9 4 years ago, or maybe a tennis player like roy sichel whoā€™s ranked 15th in the mid east right nowā€¦or maybe just an underprivileged high school athlete, who may not be ranked in anything, no one may remember his or her name because their jersey was not retired and never had a run in with the law, but someone who was given a chance to attend a university that they may not have been able to afford if it wasnā€™t for our athletic scholarshipsā€¦just please think before not giving, thats all i ask

over the last 2 months i have read many people saying they are going to stop donating (including you HP). I start a thread and get called out for it.
Wow. The tides have turned yet again.

your money is your vote. your money is your opinion.

If your opinion is that you want to see change, yet you write your same old $XXXXX.XX check that you did last year, NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

If your opinion is that you are unhappy with where things are, yet you write your same old $XXXXX.XX check that you did last year, NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

My money is support of a student at UNC Charlotte. My opinions have been solicited and some of my ideas have been acted upon, others have not, at least not yet.

I did say that I might stop donating. However, my donations to UNC Charlotte go to at least three different places. I might stop one and increase another or I could stop all of them. I do know that by stopping a donation directly to the 49er Club, I hurt a student-athlete. I was one that received some of those funds as a student-assistant in the athletic department in the late 70s and I was appreciative of it. If I was asked to fund a project other than scholarships and I withdrew support, thatā€™s an entirely seperate issue.

I admittedly am not pleased with the direction of several things right now and Iā€™ve stated my displeasure. I was vocal about Stamats but I am at this point reserving judgement. After getting a good bit of information, there is much more to their campus arrival than what it looks like to the naked eye and it could be far better than any of us could have imagined when completed, things that have nothing to do with athletics. Iā€™m sure more details will be forthcoming in the new year. Trust me, the return will be more than substantial, and make the $250,000 seem inexpensive.

Iā€™ve worked at three church services today, Iā€™m going to bed. Everyone relax and enjoy the holiday!

[QUOTE=ninerID;207064]We dont live in Buffalo, so we donā€™t need an indoor facility.[/QUOTE]

So, you donā€™t think we need an indoor tennis facility. Itā€™s pretty simple, really. You just have to know how the mind functions for an imbecile.

Surely you remember the whole situation with the fountain:

Now all you have to do is send this image to the administration. Create a note by cutting out letters of the alphabet from newspapers and magazines with the message

ā€˜DO NOT TRY TO STOP US
DO NOT CONTACT THE POLICE
~ ANGRY MOBā€™

Oh, hellā€¦Iā€™m not exactly sure how the bubbles will cause such chaos - but it simply does not matter. Trust me. They will immediately scrap any plans to build something nice like this on campus.

[QUOTE=ninerID;207103]Okay, then what do we do?[/QUOTE]

Orā€¦we could undercut efforts made to raise money for the tennis facility by convincing their target donors to give money towards scholarships, instead.

Just a thought.

okay thanks for the info HP. I donā€™t want to hurt a scholarship for a player, but unfortunately that is my only voice so that is the way I plan to use it. To me the 49er club is the most recognized funding effort toward 49er athletics, and easily has the most members.

It is great to hear that you now believe the 250K will be ā€œwell worth itā€ but I am still not buying it. When any study removes two large items from the table, it is worthless. Its like doing an 8th grade science project on ā€œwhich color of M&Mā€™s comes out the mostā€ with the notion of not counting the brown and green ones ā€œjust becauseā€.

My anger on this thread goes back to two items:

1. We feel that there is a need and the money for a 6 million dollar indoor tennis facility. However, we are scared to death that there wouldnt be support for football, and that we donā€™t know where the money would come from.

2. In 3 to 4 years we will be fully funded. I am sorry that is too long. Right now part of the Athletics Departments job is to be fully funded. We havenā€™t been for a long time, and we still need 3 to 4 years? That is failure in my opinion. As I stated before, I have done the math. With the current NC laws we will be fully funded in 3 to 4 years at the current rate. And I mean well into the black fully funded not just flying by the seat of our pants funded.