Student "resort"?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/10/25/4408680/student-resort-in-university-city.html#.Um3WFVM4EiV

Since Arcadia is more than 2 miles from campus, Jackie Simpson of UNC Charlotte’s Housing Office is not concerned about the effects of competition from Arcadia.“No student will walk that far,” Simpson said. [b]“We can’t get them to walk across campus.”[/b]
:blank:

Jackie’s comment implies a lack of critical thinking that is disturbing, imo.

it cost like $450 for a parking pass. I’d walk/ride a bike 0.5 miles to jump on the lightrail to save that much money. When I was in school I found every opportunity possible to avoid a paying for a parking pass.

They really do need to improve the walkability of U City Blvd, especially if they’re going to continue to approve student housing projects like these. There needs to be walk and bike paths like they’re building towards Mallard Creek Church Rd.

[quote=“emf, post:5, topic:28345”]They really do need to improve the walkability of U City Blvd, especially if they’re going to continue to approve student housing projects like these. There needs to be walk and bike paths like they’re building towards Mallard Creek Church Rd.[/quote]I drive past that new path every day and wonder how much money they are spending on putting it in. They have had crews out there for months and they are still not finished. The terrain doesn’t lend itself to foot travel in some areas so I know it has been a challenge, but this may be the most expensive sidewalk in Charlotte when they finish.

$887,000 http://universitycityclt.org/news/university-city-blvd-getting-bike-ped-pathway

I lived at Harris and Sugar Creek during my senior year… rode my bike almost daily. I miss that.

Taking the light rail as an alternative to paying for a parking pass isn’t really saving you that much. Assuming each one-way trip is $2 and commuting four days a week (no Friday classes), you’re looking at around $60 a month (which is still $20 less than a monthly pass). Over the course of two semesters, it doesn’t add up to any significant savings other than wear and tear on your car.

CATS does offer a K-12 rate, maybe they’ll offer something similar for college students.

This sounds like a great addition to that area compared to what else is up that way so not sure what the residents are complaining about. It probably would be a bigger success if it was much closer to the light rail station.

“The Blue Line University City Boulevard light rail stop will be about half a mile from Arcadia, in the opposite direction from campus. That may make commuting to class by light rail unlikely.”

That’s not far to walk to mass transit. If there is a sidewalk to the light rail station that will get lots of riders from there.

No body is going to bike or walk back down that street to go the opposite direction to the U. They better get a shuttle like all the other apartment complexes are doing.

Didn’t they rezone the entire stretch along the future light rail to accommodate transit-friendly growth?

Right now everything between the U and NODA is a crime-friendly growth zone.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:13, topic:28345”]Didn’t they rezone the entire stretch along the future light rail to accommodate transit-friendly growth?[/quote]zoning laws mean nothing here.

If someone wants to build something, the city will bend over and change the zoning laws.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:12, topic:28345”]No body is going to bike or walk back down that street to go the opposite direction to the U. They better get a shuttle like all the other apartment complexes are doing.[/quote]it says in the article that there will be a shuttle.

That ride wouldn’t be too bad if there was a path, but I wouldn’t ride on UCity Blvd even if there was a bike lane.

[quote=“Niner National, post:16, topic:28345”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:12, topic:28345”]No body is going to bike or walk back down that street to go the opposite direction to the U. They better get a shuttle like all the other apartment complexes are doing.[/quote]it says in the article that there will be a shuttle.

That ride wouldn’t be too bad if there was a path, but I wouldn’t ride on UCity Blvd even if there was a bike lane.[/quote]

I think most would simply buy a parking pass. Just an additional cost for mom and dad to float. Probably not a big deal for most that would live there.

[quote=“Dowless, post:17, topic:28345”][quote=“Niner National, post:16, topic:28345”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:12, topic:28345”]No body is going to bike or walk back down that street to go the opposite direction to the U. They better get a shuttle like all the other apartment complexes are doing.[/quote]it says in the article that there will be a shuttle.

That ride wouldn’t be too bad if there was a path, but I wouldn’t ride on UCity Blvd even if there was a bike lane.[/quote]

I think most would simply buy a parking pass. Just an additional cost for mom and dad to float. Probably not a big deal for most that would live there.[/quote]

Yup. I had a parking pass my first go-round.

Then, I dropped the ball, and had to pay for it myself after I went back. Suddenly, no more parking on campus.

I was just trying to say that a 1/2 mile walk to transit isn’t that far. Don’t people walk that far to the subways in NY all the time?

Of course, it isn’t… if you’re not already car dependent.

People walk a mile or more to the metro stations here in DC all the time… because they’re used to it, and frankly it’s easier to take the metro than to drive in the District. Charlotte’s a different story, though… folks aren’t just going to ditch their cars to walk a half mile to public transit unless that public transit gives them an advantage. You’ll see kids walking to the light rail to go downtown, but I doubt you’ll see many walking to the light rail to go to class.