Student Turnout

Something needs to be done, and I’m not talking about by the school.

I graduated in 2005. We had a great year that year, but things weren’t awesome all four years and we didn’t always have indiana in Halton. I don’t ever remember as pathetic a turnout as last night, and there were 5k less students. It was cold last night but student pickup was LOW, oh and I camped in cold weather like last night.

I am challenging the students who are already fans, who are our diehards. GET BUTTS IN THOSE SEATS. The job falls on you.

Grab that friend of a friend of a friend and invite them with your “group”. Get the kid that you only talk to in class next to you to come to the game. Can you still take a few ID’s and pickup tickets at the morning pickups? If you don’t have the maximum, get the maximum. I don’t care if they don’t have a charlotte shirt, or even a green shirt, get them in the building and go from there.

Kids, especially freshmen, aren’t going to just walk in to Halton by themselves. String someone along. Grow your group. Gain a friend, gain a niner.

Thanks.

The problem is the current students are bandwagon fans. We saw last year how winning gets buts in the seats. Last year’s student turnout was the best it’s been in the new suck-era we’re in.

I think you give the students a BIT of a break on this one, so close to finals. Hell, it was the reason I reluctantly sat it out, and I hate to do that.

But definitely agree something has got to be done…it’s like a secret that there are free tickets to the Davidson game for students. Should see maybe ONE sign on campus. On that note, talk to your friends, tickets are free to ALL students starting today.

I honestly think part of the problem is the ticketing system… it is a hassle to get tickets, because you have to log in to request, then log in to claim, and a lot of students don’t realize that there are tickets available at the door.

I think the game being close to the exams hurt as well… but you’re right, student turnout was abysmal. Thanks for calling out the students that were there.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:4, topic:24485”]I honestly think part of the problem is the ticketing system… it is a hassle to get tickets, because you have to log in to request, then log in to claim, and a lot of students don’t realize that there are tickets available at the door.

I think the game being close to the exams hurt as well… but you’re right, student turnout was abysmal. Thanks for calling out the students that were there.[/quote]

More of a call to action than calling you out. Don’t be so sensitive. You really need to smoke more pot.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:4, topic:24485”]I honestly think part of the problem is the ticketing system… it is a hassle to get tickets, because you have to log in to request, then log in to claim, and a lot of students don’t realize that there are tickets available at the door.

I think the game being close to the exams hurt as well… but you’re right, student turnout was abysmal. Thanks for calling out the students that were there.[/quote]where did the students that attended the game get called out??? I must have missed that.

I was not happy with the student turnout last night, but I assumed it was a combination of the cold weather, finals and the under .500 record for the team. To me a fan would be there is all of those cases except for maybe an 8am final the next day, but that’s me and I can’t expect that from everyone. Hopefully we string together some wins and see people bring friends so attendance picks back up in time for conference play.

Football and a NAME CHANGE would solve alot of this.

Well, since Lew thinks they are being called out, let me put some meat to the accusation… There was one moment last night that made most of us younger alum in the front of 226 wonder what was going on. Towards the end of the game the Winthrop fans started a chant. Most of the arena could hear them. We looked to 104 to respond only to see you all staring at them chanting with your jaws dropped. Halton Arena is our place. We took pride in taking over their gym last year. Don’t let them do the same please. [/criticism]

I’ve got something planned with RSA for next semester(because we have to do some research, planning and buy some things) that should help improve attendance/school pride somewhat. I also think we are going to target the freshmen since that makes the most sense in the long run.

Only thing that will cure this is winning. Hard to get motivated to go see a 3-5 team where your best player doesn’t want to play.

exactly.

Its not that hard. If we were undefeated, ranked and playing a ranked opponent the first two are irrelevant. It could have been 3 degrees and finals could have been at midnight and the place would have been packed.

Just win baby! And if that brings out the bandwagon fans then so be it. I’ll take them all.

Davidson likely has finals this week, or coming up.

Basketball is a winter sport, it gets cold in North Carolina.

They were .500 last year. They are .500 this year.

They have 8% of the students we do. Most of them nerds that have no idea what the term “organized sports” means.

They will have about as many students in Belk on Saturday as we did last night, blackout or no blackout.

Stop making excuses. The task of making excuses hasn’t put a single butt in a seat since Halton opened. Do something to get it done.

I saw just as many empty seats last night on the general public side btw.

[quote=“ninerID, post:14, topic:24485”]Davidson likely has finals this week, or coming up.

Basketball is a winter sport, it gets cold in North Carolina.

They were .500 last year. They are .500 this year.

They have 8% of the students we do. Most of them nerds that have no idea what the term “organized sports” means.

They will have about as many students in Belk on Saturday as we did last night, blackout or no blackout.

Stop making excuses. The task of making excuses hasn’t put a single butt in a seat since Halton opened. Do something to get it done.[/quote]

Have our students ever had a poor turnout when Davidson has played here? Davidson also went to an elite 8 three years ago, the novelty is still there. Not a very good comparison, because Davidson/Charlotte games are quite different than Winthrop/Charlotte. Like many have said, a lot of our students are fairweather fans who are blinded by the ACC.

What’s really sad is the fact that we have a ton of alum in the area and can’t get them to come out. Of course, winning brings everyone out, everyone likes a winner.

Lol changing conferences might help since I have heard countless students talk about “why we left CUSA for Division 2 A10”…before every game I ask people to come with me…and they refuse…so nothing short of tasing students and dragging them will get them there, except for 1 of 4 things, or all 4, 1) football 2) a conference where even the dumbest fan knows the teams 3) better marketing (both word of mouth and the Athletic Department) 4) WIN!!!..

They were handing the Davidson tickets away at the student entrance. I like the idea of giving them away, but at the same time how many of those people that just grab one without thinking will actually show up? It’s just going to make the section have empty seats everywhere. Hopefully i’ll be wrong about it.

[quote=“ConcordNiners, post:18, topic:24485”]They were handing the Davidson tickets away at the student entrance. I like the idea of giving them away, but at the same time how many of those people that just grab one without thinking will actually show up? It’s just going to make the section have empty seats everywhere. Hopefully i’ll be wrong about it.[/quote]What about the students that paid for tickets? Will they get a refund?

Its not that hard. If we were undefeated, ranked and playing a ranked opponent the first two are irrelevant. It could have been 3 degrees and finals could have been at midnight and the place would have been packed.

Just win baby! And if that brings out the bandwagon fans then so be it. I’ll take them all.[/quote]

And believe me, if anyone can relate to bandwagon fans, it’s you. :stuck_out_tongue: