Student Union Construction

[ATTACH]1089[/ATTACH]

Update with a picture.

Where exactly is that going up on campus?

right across from the new education building if memory serve me.

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;263757]right across from the new education building if memory serve me.[/QUOTE]

Correct. If you haven’t been there in a while the old track has been torn up an a parking deck built on top (which is open) and the student union sits further up the hill where there used to be parking lots.

the old track has been torn up an a parking deck built on top [B](which is open)[/B]

Is it just me, or did that go REALLY fast? I am pretty impressed.

Is it just me, or did that go REALLY fast? I am pretty impressed.
maybe it's just fast because we aren't on campus anymore waiting every day for the parking congestion to be alleviated.

It just looks fast. The walls will go up fast too. The inside is what would take the longest. Or so I have been told

It just looks fast. The walls will go up fast too. The inside is what would take the longest. Or so I have been told
We were talking about the parking deck rather than the SU.

clt says to hire this firm to build the football stadium.

[QUOTE=ninerID;263762]Is it just me, or did that go REALLY fast? I am pretty impressed.[/QUOTE]it went up pretty fast, but you have to take into consideration that a parking deck is basically a skeleton. There is little internal work. Most skyscrapers that are built average a floor every 4-5 days once the foundation work is complete. It’s the inside work that slows a project down. If this were being built for a private business, it’d be done in half the time for probably 20 million less, but contractors know they can take advantage of government institutions. If Ballantyne can put up four 6-10 story office towers in less than a year, it shouldn’t take 3 years to complete a student union.

it went up pretty fast, but you have to take into consideration that a parking deck is basically a skeleton. There is little internal work. Most skyscrapers that are built average a floor every 4-5 days once the foundation work is complete. It's the inside work that slows a project down. If this were being built for a private business, it'd be done in half the time for probably 20 million less, but contractors know they can take advantage of government institutions. If Ballantyne can put up four 6-10 story office towers in less than a year, it shouldn't take 3 years to complete a student union.

building college campus facilities is a very complex endeavor. Everything must go to the lowest bid. It took the new baseball stadium 2x longer than expected because of bidding/contractor delays. Nobody is getting rich on these jobs milking tax dollars, they are very lean.

[QUOTE=metro;263813]building college campus facilities is a very complex endeavor. Everything must go to the lowest bid. It took the new baseball stadium 2x longer than expected because of bidding/contractor delays. Nobody is getting rich on these jobs milking tax dollars, they are very lean.[/QUOTE]

True. My company is building a new parking garage. Right next to it is a new building going up for a private company. Both were announced at the same time. Private company is well under way. My company hasn’t even started yet.

It’s been two weeks and I’d say they’ve probably tripled the progress seen in the picture Gill posted. Impressive.

When is it supposed to be complete? Last I heard was Fall 2008.

Opening ive heard is 2009 - so I would expect that would mean spring 2009 - but given the delays that construction undertakes, I wouldnt be suprised if its later in 09’. Luckily sketch part 1, which is the foundation, seems to have not run into any unexpected problems (like rock) which would slow progress.

Looking good though

anyone else realize we had like a 2 week span this year taht we didnt have a crane up on campus? Didnt think that would happen!

[QUOTE=zerogeneticsdc1;274871]Opening ive heard is 2009 - so I would expect that would mean spring 2009 - but given the delays that construction undertakes, I wouldnt be suprised if its later in 09’. Luckily sketch part 1, which is the foundation, seems to have not run into any unexpected problems (like rock) which would slow progress.

Looking good though

anyone else realize we had like a 2 week span this year taht we didnt have a crane up on campus? Didnt think that would happen![/QUOTE]

No doubt that the lack of rain has allowed for construction to stay on pace.

stumbled across this, it is the presentation the architects gave for the interview process I believe. Take note of how much money is put towards other University Student Unions and then take a look at our #… Just saying.

[URL=http://www.fwagroup.com/presentations/acui_2007/02-a.html]http://www.fwagroup.com/presentations/acui_2007/01-a.html[/URL]

The last part of the presentation has a slideshow with some images that I believe have not been posted on here.

No pics but it’s looking good. Already has pretty much the whole frame up and one side is even bricked already

No pics but it's looking good. Already has pretty much the whole frame up and one side is even bricked already

follow the link… at the end of the presentation there is a slideshow of images.

not to jack the thread, but I didnt really find this question threadworthy… anyone know whats going on down at the track? Looks like they are trying to black out the endzone area closest to philips road by putting some sort of black covering over the fence (similar to that used in sedimentation walls) - is there some sort of work being done? or did I miss something?

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;320026]stumbled across this, it is the presentation the architects gave for the interview process I believe. Take note of how much money is put towards other University Student Unions and then take a look at our #… Just saying.

http://www.fwagroup.com/presentations/acui_2007/01-a.html

The last part of the presentation has a slideshow with some images that I believe have not been posted on here.[/QUOTE]

Great find! :tumbsup: For those who can’t view the page or are too lazy, here are some of the pictures…

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]