Supplements?

Offseason rambling here…

Just curious as to how many gym rats we have on board and how many of you have used supplements.

I have all but retired from my rec basketball and softball days and my main hobby now is lifting. I have been lifting regular for over 7yrs now and have plateaued on most of my exercizes. I have used a effervescent Creatine called Mega Creatine that worked very well for me (strength and stamina went up) but I have also used the recently trendy NO2 (which I didn’t see ANY results from at all…and is 3X the price).

I rarely use supplements…and when I do…I only use them for a month or so. But I’m interested in hearing about other people’s experiences with other supplements.

I’m not interested in any supplement that messes with testosterone levels (like Andro)…or anything illegal…obviously. Anyone have any feedback…good or bad…on any supplements you have used?

Just fishing for ideas on something new, safe and worthwhile to try.

I just stick with protein shakes and making sure I get plenty of protein and eat right. I was going to try creatine again but decided against it. Basically it causes you to retain water and is suppose to only give you an extra “energy” boost as opposed to building muscle. I figure all I need is just a little more will power to force me to do that extra set of reps.

I wouldn’t touch half the stuff that’s on the market these days.

I suggest against anything that will lead to sustained increases in nitric oxide. At best you make your heart work even harder than it already has to in order to maintain a high enough pressure to ensure adequate perfusion of your important (read: not skeletal muscle) organs. At the worst, your blood pressure bottoms out and you are passed out with a bar on your neck.

Antwon Coleman likes to supplement his diet with hippopotamus.

Phosphagen HP worked well for me.

[i]Originally posted by KTown49er[/i]@Jun 14 2005, 10:07 PM [b] Offseason rambling here....

Just curious as to how many gym rats we have on board and how many of you have used supplements.

I have all but retired from my rec basketball and softball days and my main hobby now is lifting. I have been lifting regular for over 7yrs now and have plateaued on most of my exercizes. I have used a effervescent Creatine called Mega Creatine that worked very well for me (strength and stamina went up) but I have also used the recently trendy NO2 (which I didn’t see ANY results from at all…and is 3X the price).

I rarely use supplements…and when I do…I only use them for a month or so. But I’m interested in hearing about other people’s experiences with other supplements.

I’m not interested in any supplement that messes with testosterone levels (like Andro)…or anything illegal…obviously. Anyone have any feedback…good or bad…on any supplements you have used?

Just fishing for ideas on something new, safe and worthwhile to try. [/b]

I took creatine for a while and you certainly get results but they plateau quickly and you have to keep taking it to maintain your gains.

It is not safe to take creatine for extended periods of time. Your body natuarally produces ‘creaitnin’ and by overloading your system with creatine supplements for extended periods of time your body will slow down it’s production of creatinin and you can cause permanent damage.

Personally, in my 30’s, I see no need to try to get any bigger or stronger, so I only use protein shakes in the morning.

I am into distance running more than lifting now and may try creatine again to see how it helps my endurance in running.

Has anyone experimented with creatine and distance running?

As far as other supplements, andro is a joke. It is only on banned substance lists because it was used as a masking agent for anodrol in steroid testing, which is exactly why McGuire took it. Used strickly as a supplement, it is worthless.

In high school I did a lot of heavy lifting and tried to bulk up. I went from 161 lbs at the beginning of my junior year to 195 midway through my senior year. Lotsa of lifting and triple cheeseburgers. Now I do a lot of running and play basketball at least 4 times a week, and Im back down around 172 or so. I have never tried any supplements other than occasional protein shakes. OK this post seems to be pointless, just wanted to chime in

I heard a fitness guy on the radio yesterday and he said he wasn’t crazy about creatine. I think he said it really doesn’t do that much for you. He said your muscles are 70-75% water so you need to drink plenty of water. He didn’t seem to really say a whole lot about taking protein which I thought was odd.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Jun 15 2005, 02:24 PM [b] I am into distance running more than lifting now and may try creatine again to see how it helps my endurance in running.

Has anyone experimented with creatine and distance running?

[/b]

This is a little off the topic of supplements but lutz9er’s father ran alot in his 30’s and 40’s and doesn’t recomend it as a frequent exercise because its hard on the knees. He knows a lot of guys around his age that he works with that are in the 50’s and their knees are gone from running (although they are 50 so maybe no wonder).

Lutz9er is 20, lazy and busy with school work so he only runs a couple times a month at most so he doesn’t worry about it. Lutz9er is no expert on knees or running, but he thinks swimming or biking is safer.

Lutz9er loves running and am not trying to tell anyone to stop running. Just passing on what his daddy said. Lutz9er doesn’t know how much PI runs but just cautions him about knees.

(Disclaimer: Lutz9er is not a Kinesiology major)

I work out a little bit, & I used to do more before I slacked off.
Supplements rule! I always work out more often when I’m on them.

speaking in third person should be for CLT and CLT only

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Jun 16 2005, 11:35 AM [b] speaking in third person should be for CLT and CLT only [/b]
who's CLT? is there another poster on here who writes in 3rd person?
[i]Originally posted by lutz9er[/i]@Jun 16 2005, 05:54 PM [b] who's CLT? is there another poster on here who writes in 3rd person? [/b]
you're kidding right
[i]Originally posted by Chisox17+Jun 16 2005, 11:54 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Chisox17 @ Jun 16 2005, 11:54 PM)

Your dad looks a lot like John Chaney.

I took the Creatine Powder, & it made my legs feel dehydrated, so I stopped. I tried the Creatine Liquid, & it worked fine, but it’s too expensive, so I stopped.
I tried Tribulus Terrestris a couple of years ago. It’s the herbal version of Andro. Now it’s banned too. Apparently there Social Security, the 2 wars, the deficit, & job losses are fixed because Congress has time to stick their nose into my business.

[i]Originally posted by stonecoldken[/i]@Jun 18 2005, 07:55 AM [b] I took the Creatine Powder, & it made my legs feel dehydrated, so I stopped. I tried the Creatine Liquid, & it worked fine, but it's too expensive, so I stopped. I tried Tribulus Terrestris a couple of years ago. It's the herbal version of Andro. Now it's banned too. Apparently there Social Security, the 2 wars, the deficit, & job losses are fixed because Congress has time to stick their nose into my business. [/b]
Steroids and dangerous are a major problem. Anyone who thinks marijuana should be regulated by congress should definitely support congress on steroids.

You can question the priority placed on the MLB steroid hearings, but if anyone is concerned about the “drug war”, I think its good to make sure that no children’s role-models are using these dangerous drugs.

Many children, mislead by gov’t propaganda, probably believe marijuana is more dangerous to your health than most steroids.

Kid’s try marijuana and they think “The gov’t said this stuff was so bad!, but it’s not, so I guess that means steroids are safe because congress allows my favorite baseball players and Cincy Bearcats :D(had to throw that in there) to use them.”

For every major leaguer who is thrown out of baseball for steroids infractions, maybe a couple kid’s lives will be saved. I don’t know that its a complete waste of time for congress to regulate steroids in baseball. Not as much of a waste of time as trying to make a bigoted constitutional amendment against people who want to get married.

[i]Originally posted by BPfor3[/i]@Jun 17 2005, 11:04 PM [b] Your dad looks a lot like John Chaney. [/b]
What

I’ve been using Bud Light for years with fantastic results.

I just drink 100% Whey Protein Shakes and Creatine monohydrate powder. It seems to be working pretty well, I must say. I like the energy

Anyone use Cell-tech?