3- Morgan Freeman - Shawshank Redemption
4- Denzel Washington - Glory
and my favorite of all time…
5- Val Kilmer - Tombstone

Honorable mention:
Christian Bale - The Fighter
Hailee Steinfield - True Grit
Brad Pitt - Fight Club

I wouldn’t call halie Stanfield a supporting actor. Mattie Ross was the main character, but yes, she absolutely kicked buttocks in that movie.

As far as Val Kilmer in Tombstone, all I can say is, “I’m your huckleberry.”

Another one I could add would be John Goodman’s Walter in THE BIG LEBOWSKI.

Kim Jong Il in Team America World Police.

Jonathan Lipnicki in Jerry Maguire.

Is Jonathan Lupinicki the little kid?

Dwight Yoakam and John Ritter were both excellent in Slingblade.

Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds.

As you Americans say, “if the shoe fits”

Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds

This seems to oftentimes be the difference between a great movie and an all time classic.

Have to strongly agree with Pesci, Sam Jackson, Madsen, Baldwin, and Christoph Waltz.

Pesci was every bit of the dramatic tension of Goodfellas. Totally agree with the writer’s comment. Once Pesci gets whacked, the movie falls apart. I was terrified of his character the first time I saw it.

I haven’t seen Devil with a Blue Dress. I probably should. One note about Cheadle though - even in a big budget ensemble flick like Oceans 11, where he has such a small part (Basher) he steals all the scenes he is in. He’s a seriously underappreciated actor.

Edward Norton in Rounders (or damn near anything he’s in)

John Malkovich in In the Line of Fire

The interest thing about Baldwin in Glengary Glen Ross is that Pacino actually won the academy award. I wasn’t crazy about the movie itself, but the whole cast from top to bottom was superb.

I forgot about Dwight Yoakam in Sling Blade. He was awesome in that role. But I’m not sure he “stole” the movie though. Karl(Billy Bob Thornton) is an all time quotable character.

I also forgot about Ledger in the Dark Knight. He definitely stole the movie to me.

My boss is a big fan of that movie, and routinely yells “WILL YOU GO TO LUNCH??!?!!!” around midday.

My boss is a big fan of that movie, and routinely yells “WILL YOU GO TO LUNCH??!?!!!” around midday.[/quote]

I can’t imagine how many sales managers have used Baldwin’s lines. “A.B.C. Always Be Closing!”.

I would think “Stealing” implies that they outshined the lead actor/actress. E.g. Dennis Hopper was good in Hoosiers, but he didn’t outshine Hackman.

I’d suggest Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinnie, Jack Nicholson in a Few Good Men, Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugitive, Haley Joel Osment in the Sixth Sense, or Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder.

The biggest outshining I can think of was probably Sean Connery in The Untouchables, though that was partly because I thought Kevin Costner was not very good at all.

Ha ha Yes! Marisa! that is def. worthy of making this list. Good catch!

[quote=“9erken, post:15, topic:26171”]I would think “Stealing” implies that they outshined the lead actor/actress. E.g. Dennis Hopper was good in Hoosiers, but he didn’t outshine Hackman.

I’d suggest Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinnie, Jack Nicholson in a Few Good Men, Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugitive, Haley Joel Osment in the Sixth Sense, or Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder.

The biggest outshining I can think of was probably Sean Connery in The Untouchables, though that was partly because I thought Kevin Costner was not very good at all.[/quote]

Marisa ‘stole’ a few scenes in The Wrestler too if you know what I mean.

Nathan Lane in The Lion King

Fixed. No, really.

Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men