Temple to leave A-10 in 2013

As expected, Owls football will join Big East this fall, then all other sports in 2013. Will pay MAC $6 million to leave now, plus $1 million to A-10 later. Official announcement coming this afternoon at 5:30. So one more year of Niners versus Bill Cosby U!

Philly.com: Owls bound for Big East

McGlade’s thoughts and info on the TV contract.

http://www.philahoops.com/2012/03/07/philahoops-exclusive-mcglade-says-a-10-has-been-good-for-temple/

“Temple has been a valued member, and the conference has brought a lot to the table to help Temple be successful.”

“They’re a valuable member,” she added, “but at the same time we’re going to move forward in a really positive direction because we are a strong basketball-centered league.”

clt reports Charlotte to leave A 10 in 2013, joining alliance fb in 2015.

Per Vautour, UMass staying put in MAC though Minutemen could opt out for $500K per Temple’s move.

Gazettenet.com: Temple’s move to Big East doesn’t affect UMass, Mid-American Conference

BTW, I’m guessing that UMass will play 4 games versus MAC opponents each season in men’s hoops just as Temple had during it’s football-only affiliation with the conference.

I wonder if the A-10 will add Butler or a CAA team to replace Temple?

Butler’s in a bad spot. Moving to the A10 could be more lucrative long term, but they’d have to leave their remaining money from their 12 shares of NCAA Tournament money behind in the Horizon if they move now. They’d be hard pressed to move before 2015-17.

Butler’s in a bad spot. Moving to the A10 could be more lucrative long term, but they’d have to leave their remaining money from their 12 shares of NCAA Tournament money behind in the Horizon if they move now. They’d be hard pressed to move before 2015-17.[/quote]If the A10 had a t.v. deal like they should have, it’d be a no-brainer. But they don’t, so it’ll be hard to lure teams in from other conferences. The Horizon and CAA (for teams like VCU and George Mason) are at least on-par if not better with their t.v. deals, despite having less consistent success.

TV deal will be renegotiated soon. Loosing Temple hurts.

Let’s lose the A10.

I’m with CLT. I’m a fan of playing round ball in the A10, but the pigskin is where the money is at.

Thought we heard that last year? Wasn’t last year, 2010-2011 the last year of the current contract…

Thought we heard that last year? Wasn’t last year, 2010-2011 the last year of the current contract…[/quote]Apparently the A10 took stealth lessons from our AD and extended the TV deal for 2 years without anyone knowing.

Yep. NN is right. NEXT season is the last year of the current A10 TV deal. They are talking like they are actually going to make it better and extend some local broadcast rights, along with using other outlets. Welcome to 2012, A10. ???

If the Alliance deal comes to fruition for us, then by the time it happens we will only get 1-2 seasons worth of the new A10 TV deal.

Anything short of of having a regional broadcast of 1/3rd of our games and at least 3 national television appearances will be a failure in my book.

I’d settle for having several (i.e. 5-7) away games on the FullCourt package, just so as I can at least see them. A10 also needs to retain rights to all of its conference games and offer a nice package to watch the feeds on their site. I’d pay $20 to be able to watch ALL of our games via quality streaming video. I’m not paying to that much to watch SOME of our games and then pay each the other sites a separate overpriced amount to watch those games.

Thought we heard that last year? Wasn’t last year, 2010-2011 the last year of the current contract…[/quote]Apparently the A10 took stealth lessons from our AD and extended the TV deal for 2 years without anyone knowing.[/quote]

Good grief… pathetic… doesn’t matter for most of the other teams that get around this with their local broadcasts… screw the A-10, and without Temple we need to go… anywhere.