The anti-acc letter to the editor in the O today

Josh Watts was “Lake9er” on the ancient GoCarolinas board. He is a die hard Niner and friend of mine.

Here was his original, unedited e-mail:

“A group of us were talking about your paper last night. Out of seven households only three are subscribers. This is coming from a male perspective so obviously the sports page is important. You may find this hard to believe but there are actually some people in Charlotte who don’t care about the acc or any of it’s members. Five of the seven of us are native Charlotteans. We attended Charlotte, App. State, Campbell, Ohio State. Give us more of these schools or any schools. We do not care what the acc is doing 24-7. I canceled my subscription years ago because of this issue. Surprisingly several in our group did the same over the last few years. Most of us get USA Today and will scan the Observer at work on the computer to see if the sports page is of interest that day. If so we will buy one and read it at lunch or later at home. As more and more people move here from other areas and as local non acc schools grow and become more prominent you folks are getting more and more out of touch with your audience. -Josh Watts(Cornelius)”

:clap: It will be interesting to see if it’s printed. Norman, I didn’t know you had any friends, LOL.

:toast: Here’s to Josh!

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Aug 12 2004, 02:46 PM [b] :clap: It will be interesting to see if it's printed. Norman, I didn't know you had any friends, LOL.

:toast: Here’s to Josh! [/b]

Oh, it’s printed alright. A little edited, but it’s there. Nice to see the O print this type of criticism. God knows we bitch about it here all the time.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Aug 12 2004, 02:46 PM [b] :clap: It will be interesting to see if it's printed. Norman, I didn't know you had any friends, LOL.

:toast: Here’s to Josh! [/b]

It’s in there today (I shouted it earlier). Well most of it was in there. Good Job Josh!!! My Big East/Pitt co-worker and I had a good laugh about it. I sent one last year during the ACC take-over. They didn’t print it. Mike said it wasn’t the truth. I thought letters to the editor were for for opinions. :o

Here’s how it reads online:

[i]NEW YORK - You might find this hard to believe, but there are actually some people in Charlotte who don’t care about the ACC or its members.

A group of us were talking about the paper recently. Five of the seven of us are native Charlotteans. We attended Charlotte, Appalachian State, Campbell and Ohio State. Give us more of these schools or any schools. We do not care what the ACC is doing 24/7. I canceled my subscription years ago because of this issue.

As more people move here from other areas and as local non-ACC schools grow and become more prominent, you folks are getting more out of touch with your audience.

Josh Watts
Cornelius [/i]

No idea why it says “New York”… :blink:

[i]Originally posted by NormanNiner[/i]@Aug 12 2004, 07:37 PM [b] Josh Watts was "Lake9er" on the ancient GoCarolinas board. He is a die hard Niner and friend of mine. [/b]
Ah the old gocarolinas board. How far we've come.

I still have fond memories of Ray Farmer coming on the board and everyone laying into him. Then he stood a bunch of us up for lunch at Crawfords downtown.

The Playas Club, what great radio that was. :wacko: :drool: :eek:

And the O’s response???

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Aug 12 2004, 02:55 PM [b] And the O's response???

[/b]

I guess we’ll see, but Harry Pickett was the one who asked Josh if he could publish the letter.

They call people to verify now. Based on several things I’ve seen lately, I think they’re actually making point to get more “local”. Maybe the new Editor has something to do with it.

Geee… They never published one of my letters. I wrote one very similar to this one last year but it may have required too much “editing” to print it. I’m a little astonished they printed this one. The question is: will this letter have any effect on the coverage given to acc, the Niners, & other schools.

B) B) B)

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Aug 12 2004, 03:31 PM [b] The question is: will this letter have any effect on the coverage given to acc, the Niners, & other schools.

B) B) B) [/b]

Probably not as much as choking to the George Washingtons of the world, failing to carry a top 25 ranking through the regular season or advancing past the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament will, but that’s just my hunch. :stuck_out_tongue:

I will say this, nothing we do/don’t do is going to curb the ACC coverage. That’s just a fact of the demographics of this area and as much as it sucks, it’s something we’ll have to (1) live with or (2) don’t subscribe to the Observer. However, we can force the Observer to cover us more by taking care of business. Especially this year when people like Doyel have us as a Final Four sleeper.

Guess we can be thankful we’re not Queens or Johnson C. Smith because they get far less coverage than even us. I just wish the sports section was thicker, period.

[b]Guess we can be thankful we're not Queens or Johnson C. Smith because they get far less coverage than even us. [/b]

You guys in the Observer coverage area can also be glad that you don’t live in the Triad or Triangle. Granted there are ACC schools in these areas, but Clemson, Maryland and Virginia get as much coverage as Charlotte (at least in the Triad papers). As stated many times before, there coverage is more about the bottom line rather that the should be headlines.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er+Aug 12 2004, 04:07 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (jcl49er @ Aug 12 2004, 04:07 PM)
[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Aug 13 2004, 08:21 AM [b] You were correct in one assessment though. Your statement that nothing we do will affect acc coverage may be the most sensible thing you've ever said.

B) [/b]

Coming from you Over40, I will most certainly take that as a compliment.

I do however, applaud your relentless quest to receive more coverage than ACC schools but if you think it’s ever going to happen, you’re kidding yourself. It’s not that I don’t share your wishes (I do), but I’m a realist and I know what demographics make up the Charlotte Observer’s (current) market. You won’t win this one. You can expect more coverage for the Niners, but as I stated earlier, you’ll never see less coverage for the ACC. Not going to happen. Not today, not ever. The ACC fan just flat out makes up too large of a demographic for the Observer to not cater to.

Me not whining about it, doesn’t mean I don’t care. It just means that I’ve come to accept it for what it is and I don’t let a few sheets of black and white paper bug me on a daily basis.

[i]Originally posted by NormanNiner[/i]@Aug 12 2004, 02:52 PM [b] Here's how it reads online:

[i]NEW YORK - You might find this hard to believe, but there are actually some people in Charlotte who don’t care about the ACC or its members.

A group of us were talking about the paper recently. Five of the seven of us are native Charlotteans. We attended Charlotte, Appalachian State, Campbell and Ohio State. Give us more of these schools or any schools. We do not care what the ACC is doing 24/7. I canceled my subscription years ago because of this issue.

As more people move here from other areas and as local non-ACC schools grow and become more prominent, you folks are getting more out of touch with your audience.

Josh Watts
Cornelius [/i]

No idea why it says “New York”… :blink: [/b]

Rebuttal from ACC fan in Sunday’s paper. (can’t find link) He defends the Observer by saying the coverage is ADEQUATE of non-ACC schools. He also questions Josh’s sample of alums.

I think we could straighten this guy out with the Alumni stats in the Charlotte area. If I’m not mistaken, doesn’t UNC Charlotte have more than all ACC schools combined???

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 09:49 AM [b] If I'm not mistaken, doesn't UNC Charlotte have more than all ACC schools combined??? [/b]

No. I’ve got the numbers at work, not home, but as I recall in Alumni in Meck only (which doesn’t mirror our entire circulation, only accounts for about half) Charlotte is first and, surprisingly, Appalachian State is second. UNC and N.C. State combined are about what Charlotte is. But it’s not all about alumni. It’s about fans. And you guys always point out, derisively, the “Wal-Mart” fans of the ACC schools. They count for me, too, because they buy newspapers. You guys need more of these “Wal-Mart” fans.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 10:37 AM [b] UNC and N.C. State combined are about what Charlotte is. But it's not all about alumni. It's about fans. And you guys always point out, derisively, the "Wal-Mart" fans of the ACC schools. They count for me, too, because they buy newspapers. You guys need more of these "Wal-Mart" fans. [/b]
Add Wake, Virginia, Maryland, etc. and we're well behind the ACC (as a whole) in alumni. And Mike's point about "fans" is valid and a point most people overlook. In terms of Charlotte "fans" vs ACC "fans" in the Observer's market, it's no contest. We're dwarfed and when you look at it from a business perspective, I don't see how anyone can fault the Observer for how much it covers the ACC.

Like I said, I’d like more Niner coverage but I have enough common sense to know there are more ACC fans than Charlotte 49er fans reading the local newspaper. And it only makes sense that the Observer go after the ACC fans that don’t subscribe by appealing to their interest with excess coverage of their team/teams.

If you guys want to continue lobbying for more Niner coverage, I’m right there with you. But you’re wasting your time when you criticize how much they cover the ACC. Just look around you when you’re out and about in Charlotte…love it or hate it, this is always going to be ACC country.

I certainly understand it’s more than Alumni that matters. The guy that wrote the rebuttal was using the Alumni thing as his support. The misconception is that everyone living in Charlotte went to UNC Chapel Hill, NCSU, Wake or Duke. Certainly those schools have many more fans than us.

jcl, you told me last year (& more than once) that you do not even read the observer. I find it very ironic that the observer’s biggest defender (except for Mike P) is someone who does not even read it. Sorry, I’m not trying to sound critical, but common logic states you should never defend something you know nothing about.

[i]Originally posted by Over40NINER[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 08:10 AM [b] jcl, you told me last year (& more than once) that you do not even read the observer. I find it very ironic that the observer's biggest defender (except for Mike P) is someone who does not even read it. Sorry, I'm not trying to sound critical, but common logic states you should never defend something you know nothing about. [/b]
And conversely, Over40, as a nonsubscriber you should not criticize something you know nothing about. :P