The biggest recruiting prank ever

[URL]http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2008/02/did-somebody-impersonate-tedford.html[/URL]

Almost dont know if I should laugh or be mad for the kid…this is just down right awful

ouch

And the head coach didn’t think this was odd? at all? Weird

I sort of feel sorry for the kid, but it does not take a genius to look on Cal’s website and see what their coach looks like. If I’m going to play for somebody or someone is coming to recruit me, I would like to know their background info and coaching history. A picture usually accompanies this. I sincerely doubt he looks EXACTLY like Tedford. Also, did he not take an official visit to Cal and meet all of the coaches there to know what Tedford and the others look like?

I sort of feel sorry for the kid, but it does not take a genius to look on Cal's website and see what their coach looks like. If I'm going to play for somebody or someone is coming to recruit me, I would like to know their background info and coaching history. A picture usually accompanies this. I sincerely doubt he looks EXACTLY like Tedford. Also, did he not take an official visit to Cal and meet all of the coaches there to know what Tedford and the others look like?

He’s a high school kid.

[QUOTE]"N.C. State Thrilled with Football Recruiting Class
N.C. State Sports Logo

By Taylor Auten

Posted: Today at 7:31 p.m.
Updated: Today at 7:32 p.m.

With signing day just two days away, coach Tom O’Brien and staff are looking to round out a class that already includes 24 commitments. N.C. State recruiting coordinator Jerry Petercuskie said it was critical that State address some depth at certain positions with the staff’s first true class.

“It’s very important to fill our needs,” Petercuskie said. “We have 85 scholarships, and people think that’s a lot. But that’s a lot less than it used to be back in the old days. Coach O’Brien does a great job in relation to filling our needs. He’ll look two to three years down the road to the number of players at each position and the number of players we need to recruit at each position.”

O’Brien wasted no time with addressing one of State’s biggest needs — the offensive line. Already, N.C. State has received commitments from five offensive linemen, including R.J. Mattes out of Concord Robinson. Mattes, listed at 6 feet 6 and 260 pounds, is considered to be the No. 11 offensive tackle prospect in the nation according to Scout.com

Of the 24 players that have committed to N.C. State, 10 are from the state of North Carolina. Petercuskie said recruiting North Carolina is one of O’Brien’s top priorities.

“Coach O’Brien has made it very clear that he wants to recruit the state of North Carolina first and foremost, end of story,” Petercuskie said. “That’s what we’ve done, and I think we’ve done a pretty good job with that.”

Linebacker Terrell Manning (Laurinburg), running back Brandon Barnes (Bunn) and Offensive Tackle R.J. Mattes (Concord) are considered among the nation’s best prospects for their respective positions.

[B]T.J. Graham, a wide receiver from Wakefield High School, is another local commitment for the Wolfpack. Graham said he had been an N.C. State fan since he was 8 years old, but he rethought his allegiance when Chuck Amato left. However, a meeting with offensive coordinator Dana Bible changed his mind.

“He kind of told me what the plan was,” Graham said. “It was the best thing I’ve ever heard. They are going to win national championships at N.C. State, so why would I miss out on this.[/B]”

Maybe the biggest headliner of the class is Mike Glennon of Chantilly, Va. Glennon, the No. 5 quarterback in the class of 2008 according to Scout.com, committed to N.C. State last summer over offers from Florida State, Miami and Michigan among others.

Graham participated in drills with Glennon at Senior Day in Carter-Finley Stadium, and he said he was impressed with Glennon’s ability.

“I was kind of amazed that he could throw the way he did as a high school quarterback,” Graham said. “As a college quarterback, he’s going to be better than Matt Ryan. When his day comes, he’s going to be really good.”

When Graham met Glennon, the N.C. State coaching staff was still recruiting several other quarterbacks in the class of 2008. He said there was no question, however, as to who was the No. 1 guy.

“[Mike Glennon] is there beside Jacob Charest [committed to Illinois] and a lot of other great high school quarterbacks,” Graham said. “By watching Mike amongst them, it made me wonder if those guys were good at all. That’s how good Mike was playing that day, let’s leave it at that.”

National signing day is Wednesday. With only a handful of scholarships left, O’Brien will look to improve on an already solid class with signing day decisions from Defensive End Leon Mackey of Hargrave Military Academy and several others.

Whatever happens, Graham is sure he knows what this class is destined for.

“I think our class is the best class in the ACC, hands down,” Graham said. “We don’t have to have five-star guys. We can get a good class across the board. It’s shaping up to be really good. As soon as we start getting playing time and getting experience, we’ll be on our way.”"[/QUOTE]

thought this was deserving as a recruiting prank too. NC State coaches telling recruits they are actually going to win a national championship in the next 4 years. that is pretty humorous.

[QUOTE=dax;291904]thought this was deserving as a recruiting prank too. NC State coaches telling recruits they are actually going to win a national championship in the next 4 years. that is pretty humorous.[/QUOTE]

:lmao:,

BTW, I feel bad for the kid.

Why did his HS allow the press conference to happen?

wouldn’t someone have seen a Rivals report or somethign?

Someone at the rival high school is rolling on the ground.

Generally when you’re being recruited you make official visits to the school…

atleast once before you sign…

theres gotta be more to the story.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;291902]He’s a high school kid.[/QUOTE]

No excuse for being stupid. :huh::doh:

Unless he staged it, I wouldn’t call the kid or the coach stupid. It’s apparently a tiny town in Nevada that has never sent anyone to Div I before. How were they supposed to know how it works? Maybe the coach should be more aware, but then maybe he’s an old school guy that never goes on the internet. Heck, a lot of these small towns don’t even have internet outlets at the public library. I would say they probably should’ve called Cal to check out a few things, but maybe the guy gave him a fake number or something (they had other coaches visit him too, also fake!). What an elaborate prank, somebody must really hate this kid.

All I gotta say is start with their rival school when they start investigating…crazy how that coach looks like the rival schools coach I bet :lmao:

Let’s get this pic framed for him.

WOW. lol whoever thought that prank up is both very sick and very creative

[QUOTE=9erken;291943]Unless he staged it, I wouldn’t call the kid or the coach stupid. It’s apparently a tiny town in Nevada that has never sent anyone to Div I before. How were they supposed to know how it works? Maybe the coach should be more aware, but then maybe he’s an old school guy that never goes on the internet. Heck, a lot of these small towns don’t even have internet outlets at the public library. I would say they probably should’ve called Cal to check out a few things, but maybe the guy gave him a fake number or something (they had other coaches visit him too, also fake!). What an elaborate prank, somebody must really hate this kid.[/QUOTE]

Since the town has its own website, and the high school has its own website, and the local paper has its own website, my bet is that there is internet there and that it is available freely to this recruit. His parents may not use the internet and may not know how, but any high school kid these days not in the remote sections of the Artic or a third-world country likely knows how to use the internet and is aware that there is a ton of information available on it. Fifteen years ago this could have worked because you did not have instant access to information on the web, but nowadays you really have to be extremely gullible or stupid to let this happen to you.

[URL=http://www.fhs.lyon.k12.nv.us/][B][U][COLOR=SandyBrown]Fernley High School Vaqueros[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

[URL=http://www.fernleynews.com/index.html][B][U][COLOR=sandybrown]Fernley News[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

[URL=http://www.cityoffernley.org/][B][U][COLOR=sandybrown]City of Fernly Official Website[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

The also have a library:

[URL=http://lyon-county.org/index.asp?NID=247][B][U][COLOR=sandybrown]Lyon County Library: Fernley Branch[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

Look under the FAQ’s where it says “Do you have public Internet access?”

That sucks. I can remember all of the decisions and stuff going on my senior year of HS. I can only imagine his disappointment.

Since the town has its own website, and the high school has its own website, and the local paper has its own website, my bet is that there is internet there and that it is available freely to this recruit. His parents may not use the internet and may not know how, but any high school kid these days not in the remote sections of the Artic or a third-world country likely knows how to use the internet and is aware that there is a ton of information available on it. Fifteen years ago this could have worked because you did not have instant access to information on the web, but nowadays you really have to be extremely gullible or stupid to let this happen to you.
Or just naive. You could be right that he should have been on the internet, but I know plenty of people in the small town my wife is from who have never been on the web and only have a vague idea what it's all about. But I will admit, offensive linemen range from fairly intelligent to dumber than rocks. Maybe he was at the wrong end of the spectrum. Either way, a crappy thing to do to someone IMO.

[QUOTE=dax;291904]thought this was deserving as a recruiting prank too. NC State coaches telling recruits they are actually going to win a national championship in the next 4 years. that is pretty humorous.[/QUOTE]
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Well, don’t forget… they also have one of the top 10 basketball programs in the country (or so they said when recently looking for Sendek’s replacement).