The Chapel Hill Phil Thread

Judy is honored to have her own thread so I figured I’d start one for Mr. Dubois.

I attended my third graduation in the past few years this weekend and was disturbed by one of the few speakers being a UNC Chapel Hill graduate- I forgot her title, but she was an important member of the UNC school system. Her speech started by complimenting our campus, but in more of a surprised, condescending tone. No substance to what she said and she managed a half-hearted, reluctant “go niners” to close.

Phil made a point to say he doesnt believe in having a big speaker come in and pump up the graduates. No complaints from me there. But to include a pompous UNC alum who both herself and Phil gave off the impression we should be honored that someone from “the real UNC” school spoke rubbed me the wrong way.

Also, the part of the program where the chancellor gets to narrate whats new with the school, welcome families, etc. had a part about our sports successes this past year. I understand he needs to promote our athletics. But there were only 2 positives, things to look forward to he drew from this past year:

1. Larry drafted into the NFL (agreed this should be promoted as much as possible)
  2. The exciting announcement of a new womens sports team (so exciting i forgot which sport!)

Feel free to post any and all eloquently written email responses below!

I’m never ever going to forgive that asshole for telling an incoming freshman class that Chapel Hill is the flagship.

I shall never forgive his willful neglect of an iconic structure on campus and his using that willful neglect to justify destroying it.

[quote=“CivilNiner, post:1, topic:31278”]Judy is honored to have her own thread so I figured I’d start one for Mr. Dubois.

I attended my third graduation in the past few years this weekend and was disturbed by one of the few speakers being a UNC Chapel Hill graduate- I forgot her title, but she was an important member of the UNC school system. Her speech started by complimenting our campus, but in more of a surprised, condescending tone. No substance to what she said and she managed a half-hearted, reluctant “go niners” to close.

Phil made a point to say he doesnt believe in having a big speaker come in and pump up the graduates. No complaints from me there. But to include a pompous UNC alum who both herself and Phil gave off the impression we should be honored that someone from “the real UNC” school spoke rubbed me the wrong way.

Also, the part of the program where the chancellor gets to narrate whats new with the school, welcome families, etc. had a part about our sports successes this past year. I understand he needs to promote our athletics. But there were only 2 positives, things to look forward to he drew from this past year:

1. Larry drafted into the NFL (agreed this should be promoted as much as possible)
  2. The exciting announcement of a new womens sports team (so exciting i forgot which sport!)

Feel free to post any and all eloquently written email responses below![/quote]
he really is the fun police…or the charisma police. Its a damn party, act like it.

Anyone that says he cares about sports has fallen into the trap.

[quote=“punchdrunk, post:4, topic:31278”][quote=“CivilNiner, post:1, topic:31278”]Judy is honored to have her own thread so I figured I’d start one for Mr. Dubois.

Feel free to post any and all eloquently written email responses below![/quote]
he really is the fun police…or the charisma police. Its a damn party, act like it.[/quote]Phil was the neighbor in college that called in noise complaints.

if commencement is on youtube, he is about to get gif’d hard.

Did anyone else get the ‘train card’ in the mail? What’s that all about?

It was shown live on Facebook

[size=2]
https://www.facebook.com/UNCCharlotte/videos/10156610694759587/?hc_ref=ARRHjPpS-1-84mGD2V3FY6G32cc0mHsa2arQvU7B2syQkilRpte4IQjbNGh0Wz_IXPk[/size]

Yep. The Chancellor’s office sends out Christmas cards every year. I guess you give the University money.

[quote=“UnclePugsly, post:8, topic:31278”]Did anyone else get the ‘train card’ in the mail? What’s that all about?[/quote] I got mine a few days ago and then another that belongs to a donor with the same last name as me. We are a model of efficiency.