The Continuing Whining Barry Bonds

(bigger parks, better pitching, differently constructed ball, etc).

… lack of steroid power…

Edit: Sorry, didn’t see you had originally already mentioned that one.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;247577] That’s why Maris & Aaron aren’t worthy.[/QUOTE]

I can believe anyone would make this statement.

Lemme guess, what’s next ?

• Jim Brown wasn’t a worthy NFL player ?
  • Joe Montana was better than Johnny Unitas?
  • Oscar Robertson wasn’t a worthy college or pro basketball player ?

You are exposing the ignorance of people who try to mix eras in sports. The issue with Bonds is simply 2 things…

1. overwhelming physical changes to his body during his MLB career that fit the evidence of someone involved in performance enhancing products.

2. significant evidence that indicates his use of these products.

Did he use them ? I do not KNOW if he did. However, I have seen and heard enough evidence that I question his career statistics.

RACE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT…Hank Aaron was, and is, 1,000,000,000,000 times more important to the game of baseball than Barry Bonds ever will be.

Babe hit 50 & 60 before Maris & Aaron hit 45. There was a huge drop-off in talent for about 50 years after Babe retired.

Babe hit 50 & 60 before Maris & Aaron hit 45. There was a huge drop-off in talent for about 50 years after Babe retired.

Babe Ruth was also the greatest major league baseball player of all time. You cant compare other players to him, just like you can’t compare other basketball players to Jordan.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;247597]There was a huge drop-off in talent for about 50 years after Babe retired.[/QUOTE]

WOW. I don’t know if I should laugh or cry that someone would say this.

Some players that played during the “huge drop-off in talent” era.

Frank Robinson http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/robinfr02.shtml

Mickey Mantle http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/mantlmi01.shtml

Ernie Banks http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bankser01.shtml

And for those who are smart enough to know there is more to baseball than the HR, how about a guy who pitched 304 innings in one season with 28 complete games and a 1.12 ERA…

Bob Gibson http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/gibsobo01.shtml

Just remember, no matter what you thought before, all of these players were part of the “huge drop-off in talent” era.

In any era, there are multiple factors involved in the game, this change in the late 60’s

[QUOTE]The lowering of the mound in 1969 was intended to “increase the batting” once again, as pitching had become increasingly dominant, reaching its peak the prior year; 1968 is known among baseball historians as “The Year of the Pitcher”. This restrictive rule apparently did its job, contributing to the hitting surge of modern baseball.
[/QUOTE]

“may” have had something to do with the game, as well.

Bottom line…you may want to accumulate some facts before you judge the talent in a particular era.

I dont really understand why everyone is so up in arms around Barry Bonds. The guy is a phenom with or without the roids…you might say he wouldnt have reached the mark without roids (which might be true), but also think how many bombs he might have hit if he had not have been walked half a million times.

Did Barry cheat…who knows…probably…but so did countless others from his era. The fact is…MLB turned a blind eye to a problem that was running wild over the league. Barry just went with the flow. If you hate anyone…you should hate MLB.

[QUOTE=casstommy;247613]I dont really understand why everyone is so up in arms around Barry Bonds. The guy is a phenom with or without the roids…you might say he wouldnt have reached the mark without roids (which might be true), but also think how many bombs he might have hit if he had not have been walked half a million times.

Did Barry cheat…who knows…probably…but so did countless others from his era. The fact is…MLB turned a blind eye to a problem that was running wild over the league. Barry just went with the flow. [B]If you hate anyone…you should hate MLB[/B].[/QUOTE]

yeah, Bud Selig first and foremost…

I’m sick of the selective targeting of the steroid freaks. I liked Bonds before this fiasco, and it killed me that he was involved, and now I’m totally against him and I believe there should be an asterisk when he breaks the record.

BUT

I cannot comprehend how the fans and media are only targeting him, Sosa, McGwire & Palmeiro.

WHAT ABOUT ROGER CLEMENS??

They have statements that he took roids, and his numbers completely support it (the sudden jump in performance late in his career), and no one will touch him, even in conversation.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;249921]I’m sick of the selective targeting of the steroid freaks. I liked Bonds before this fiasco, and it killed me that he was involved, and now I’m totally against him and I believe there should be an asterisk when he breaks the record.

BUT

I cannot comprehend how the fans and media are only targeting him, Sosa, McGwire & Palmeiro.

WHAT ABOUT ROGER CLEMENS??

They have statements that he took roids, and his numbers completely support it (the sudden jump in performance late in his career), and no one will touch him, even in conversation.[/QUOTE]

Target all of them, and keep them all out of the Hall. I have no sympathy for roid users, hitter or pitcher. MLB dropped the ball when it came to steroids, and the only way it will be cleaned up is to get new leadership. The strike of '94 was bad enough, but this is worse than the strike as far as I’m concerned and has ruined the game’s legacy. The game is still not clean. Selig says he’s doing everything he can, but that isn’t much. It sickens me that ESPN and all of the other networks are airing this as if he has not cheated. The Black Sox altered 5 World Series games and were banned for life. Pete Rose never cheated in a game he played in, and he’s been banned for life despite being the all time hits leader. Bonds used steroids for at least 6 years (over 800 games), and he’s getting nothing. :cuss:

Who I feel for are the players that played clean during all of this. Mark Grace, Fred McGriff, Dale Murphy etc. These guys were great players who I would bet never touched the stuff. Yet, compared to the steroid boys numbers their numbers look pedestrian. The only way to snuff them out now is to investigate the ones that get nominated for the Hall.

[QUOTE=casstommy]I dont really understand why everyone is so up in arms around Barry Bonds. The guy is a phenom with or without the roids…you might say he wouldnt have reached the mark without roids (which might be true), but also think how many bombs he might have hit if he had not have been walked half a million times.

Did Barry cheat…who knows…probably…but so did countless others from his era. The fact is…MLB turned a blind eye to a problem that was running wild over the league. Barry just went with the flow. If you hate anyone…you should hate MLB.[/QUOTE]

The reason he was walked so many times is because he was hitting an inhuman amount of homeruns because his body was full of steroids. He would not have been pitched around so much had he been normal, because the threat of a home run was not near as great. There are plenty of others like him, just not as notorius. He’s about to break what is/was the most sacred record in baseball, owned by a man with more integrity than most will ever know. That’s what makes it a travesty. Was Bonds a Hall of Famer without using roids? Of course, but he cheated to break this record. If it’s okay for him to alter games because he’s taking illegal performance enhancing drugs, what’s wrong intentionally altering the games by altering your performance to make some money from gambling? People are quick to say spitballs, corked bats, and scuffing baseballs are the same thing, but they are like misdemeanors compared to felonies when compared to steroids and betting on/throwing games.