The cost of truly big-time football

Read-only body
BC-FBC–Tennessee-Tickets,0127
Tennessee boosts football ticket prices
Eds: APNewsNow.
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Tennessee will increase the price of football season tickets to $315 for seven home games.
According to the Tennessee athletics department, the price represents an increase of $19, or $2.71 a game for bleacher seating and $3 a game for seats with backs. About 14 percent of the total is sales tax.
Individual game ticket prices for the Vols’ home games will be $70 for Florida and Alabama; $50 for UAB, Mississippi State and Kentucky; and $40 for Northern Illinois and Wyoming.
Ticket prices for Tennessee faculty and staff also will increase.
The athletics department projects the increase to raise nearly $2 million to cover cost increases for all 20 Tennessee sports.
The athletics department receives no money from the University of Tennessee.
AP-ES-03-31-08 1231EDT

Read-only body BC-FBC–Tennessee-Tickets,0127 Tennessee boosts football ticket prices Eds: APNewsNow. KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Tennessee will increase the price of football season tickets to $315 for seven home games. According to the Tennessee athletics department, the price represents an increase of $19, or $2.71 a game for bleacher seating and $3 a game for seats with backs. About 14 percent of the total is sales tax. Individual game ticket prices for the Vols’ home games will be $70 for Florida and Alabama; $50 for UAB, Mississippi State and Kentucky; and $40 for Northern Illinois and Wyoming. Ticket prices for Tennessee faculty and staff also will increase. The athletics department projects the increase to raise nearly $2 million to cover cost increases for all 20 Tennessee sports. The athletics department receives no money from the University of Tennessee. AP-ES-03-31-08 1231EDT

Wow, it almost sounds like football can make money… This just seems too crazy to me.

What is the cost of people talking smack that went to small schools with crappy teams because at least they have a team?

Read-only body BC-FBC–Tennessee-Tickets,0127 Tennessee boosts football ticket prices Eds: APNewsNow. KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Tennessee will increase the price of football season tickets to $315 for seven home games. According to the Tennessee athletics department, the price represents an increase of $19, or $2.71 a game for bleacher seating and $3 a game for seats with backs. About 14 percent of the total is sales tax. Individual game ticket prices for the Vols’ home games will be $70 for Florida and Alabama; $50 for UAB, Mississippi State and Kentucky; and $40 for Northern Illinois and Wyoming. Ticket prices for Tennessee faculty and staff also will increase. The athletics department projects the increase to raise nearly $2 million to cover cost increases for all 20 Tennessee sports. The athletics department receives no money from the University of Tennessee. AP-ES-03-31-08 1231EDT
at least the increased revenue is not going to a coach's wallet who went 4-7

BURNED!!! EAT THAT BUTCH!

It only took four posts for this to become a Tar Heel bashing thread, even though it has nothing to do with them. The obsession continues …

lol

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;310556]It only took four posts for this to become a Tar Heel bashing thread, even though it has nothing to do with them. The obsession continues …[/QUOTE]

:lmao: At least it was a valid point.

It only took four posts for this to become a Tar Heel bashing thread, even though it has nothing to do with them. The obsession continues ...

It only took one post for me to question the point of this thread…

So UT is raising ticket prices to cover the cost of all 20 sports that it sponsors, not just football. Now you sound like Spangler. So since sports cost colleges money, then we should get rid of college sports. How much paper space would you need to fill with Arena Football and wheelbarrow racing without college sports?

I wonder what the costs of NOT having a football team are??

Why is this in the 49er Football Forum? Shouldn’t this be in Collegiate sports or something?

It only took four posts for this to become a Tar Heel bashing thread, even though it has nothing to do with them. The obsession continues ...

I wasn’t Tarheel bashing. UT is using the increase ticket rev for the other 20 sports. I was giving props as a former non revenue athlete.

but yeah, even Mary Schulken nailed the idiocy of Butch Davis…which you defend:tumble:

my legitimate obsession with hating UNCCH is no more than your obsession of being devil’s advocate 24-7

Here’s the point: If getting a football program is to get into a BCS conference and compete at the highest level of the sport, this is what ticket prices of your “competition,” and their funding, will look like. No deeper point than that.
By my count, a season ticket is $370. They sell 108,000 of them.

The cost of not having football is having to go to class with people wearing t-shirts & hats of other schools.

Parallel to the cost of not adding football, metro, what would be the cost to the Tar Heels of letting Butch Davis go in terms of momentum, recruiting and otherwise, and ticket sales?

You have to pay the going rate or you lose your coach. If you can’t do better (and the Tar Heels probably couldn’t), you pay what you have to pay. And, Davis went 4-7 with John Bunting’s players. That might be as big a miracle as Davidson’s run.

Parallel to the cost of not adding football, metro, what would be the cost to the Tar Heels of letting Butch Davis go in terms of momentum, recruiting and otherwise, and ticket sales?

You have to pay the going rate or you lose your coach. If you can’t do better (and the Tar Heels probably couldn’t), you pay what you have to pay. And, Davis went 4-7 with John Bunting’s players. That might be as big a miracle as Davidson’s run.

is your middle name Clemmie?:lmao:

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;310572]Here’s the point: If getting a football program is to get into a BCS conference and compete at the highest level of the sport, this is what ticket prices of your “competition,” and their funding, will look like. No deeper point than that.
By my count, a season ticket is $370. They sell 108,000 of them.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully that is the long term goal of football, but it takes decades to get to that level. UT is at the high end of things. I’ve seen season tickets for a BCS school that cost $60 for the whole season. (Care to guess which school?) By no means should we model after them, but not every BCS school is the same as UT.

If you understood the reasons for our "obsession," you wouldn't point it out.

[B]Duke - 2008 Season[/B]
Season tickets include 7 games vs. James Madison, Northwestern, Navy, Virginia, Miami, N.C. State, & North Carolina.
Preferred Season Ticket - $140
Blue Zone Ticket (Sec. 30&31) - $100
General Admission (Sec. 14-19) – $90
Family Plan (Sec. 14-19) - $ 199 (includes 4 general admission season tickets) additional $49.75 per person

[B]Wake Forest - 2008 Season[/B]
Season tickets include 7 games vs. Mississippi, Navy, Clemson, Duke, VIrginia, Boston College and Vanderbilt.
Chairback Season Ticket - $275
Gold Zone Season Ticket - $230
Red Zone Season Ticket - $130
Action Pack Season Ticket - $120
Deacon Hill - $300 (includes 4 season tickets on sitting on the hill)

[B]Clemson - 2008 Season[/B]
Season tickets include 7 games vs.The Citadel, N.C. State, S.C. State, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Duke and South Carolina.
West Zone Club Ticket - $1250 Sold Out
West Covered Ticket - $625 (minimum IPTAY donation level $2,800)
Regular Season Ticket Seats - $299

[B]N.C. State - 2008 Season[/B]
Season tickets include 7 games vs. William & Mary, East Carolina, South Florida, Boston College, Florida State, Wake Forest and Miami.
Season Ticket - $299

[B]UNC-Chapel Hill - 2008 Season[/B]
Season tickets include 7 games vs. McNeese State, Virginai Tech, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Boston College, Georgia Tech, N.C. State
Season Ticket - $315

And on sale tomorrow…
[B]Appalachian State - 2008 Season[/B]
Saeson tickets include 6 games vs. Jacksonville, Presbyterian, The Citadel, Furman, Wofford and Elon.
Season Ticket - $160
And you can early bird basketball season tickets for ASU through August 22 for only $50.

Here's the point: If getting a football program is to get into a BCS conference and compete at the highest level of the sport, this is what ticket prices of your "competition," and their funding, will look like. No deeper point than that. By my count, a season ticket is $370. They sell 108,000 of them.

I appreciate the link. I think its a wee bit extreme of an example for us to consider for ourselves. I’d love to know what the avg BCS football ticket costs.