The EV news thread šŸ”Œ

Isnā€™t it about time? The quality is abysmal. Itā€™s an absolutely pointless dinosaur in the internet age.

That sucks. One of my favorite thing driving through rural areas is scanning through AM radio and finding stuff.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Over my dead body.

And if itā€™s unavoidable Iā€™ll keep my old car till it dies.

Then buy the cheapest car I can find.

This stuff is horse hockey.

One day you wonā€™t even be allowed to wash your own car. Geez.

1 Like

The petrol loving gear heads over at Top Gear recently put a Plaid model S through the paces. Iā€™m sure they hated it and found tons wrong with it, right?
I drone on and on about Teslaā€™s software and engineering supremacy, and this video gives a good look at why. Again this isnā€™t some Tesla fan boy doing a gushing review, this is from a group who historically have been pretty anti ev.

Really cool technological marvel. Also really cool at making the driver not have to drive the car. Push this button and it does this, push this and it does this. Step here and it goes fast. Oh here put 5 people in it. Ugh

Itā€™s like a new toaster that makes toast faster.

Who wins a theoretical cross country race, a Tesla or Forrest Gump? Asking for a friend

Youā€™re proving my point for me. It takes some high level engineering to make a beast like this appear ā€œeasyā€.

Ummā€¦ what?? I actually have no clue what point youā€™re attempting to make. My best guess is for some reason you think a Tesla canā€™t make it across the country. Is that right? There are superchargers everywhere. People do cross country trips in Teslas all the time.

1 Like

As Iā€™ve said several times, there are 2 reasons to pick Tesla / 2 things Tesla has over everyone else:

1. their Supercharger network
  2. their software

Some will argue their batteries and performance models. Probably, but the gap there is closing fast. SSBs will eliminate the battery advantage and the performance gap is already beginning to close.

But that Supercharger network is reason enough to buy a Tesla if you actually are going to do a ton of highway driving. Nothing compares to it. Itā€™s really really good.

1 Like

Itā€™s a yoke.

You might not know this, but how is there is a Cybertruck Owners Club when there are no Cybertruck owners?

I better go away now

No doubt - it amazing. But for some of us we want to drive the beast. Not have it do the work.

I had a kid at sammys talk shit to me about how fast his tesla is. I said yeah but do you know how to drive a stick or down shift in a corner? He just looked at me. Because he doenst have to drive his tesla. He is just along for the ride.

Itā€™s cool. It really is. I just get agitated at people talking about all the performance when 90% of it is the car doing it. The ā€œdriverā€ is basically a passenger. I know some folks love it. As a car guy that loves tinkering and the visceral experience of driving I canā€™t stand it, regardless of the performance.

I liked the well I can get 5 more HP out of this but then I am going to have to live with a louder exhaust note or I can drop the suspension but the ride is going to be rougher. Now itā€™s ah just hit this button and the car does it all. My dad was a pilot and ranted for years about the new planes being fly by wire and the computer factoring everything. He said I just want to fly the damn plane. I get it now.

I get that there were some cool ass cars back in the day but I decided most everything is better these days. Cars, TVs, phones, athletes, etc.

Iā€™ve came to the conclusion the only thing better back in the day was music.

Flame away, lol

2 Likes

I totally agree with you that it is better. Easier to drive, more reliable, less maintenance - but with hobbies and interests people donā€™t always want what is better. They want what brings them joy.

For the overwhelming majority of our population an EV is great. For people that liked getting their hands dirty or tinkering it kinda sucks. I have two MGs I plan on passing down to whoever my daughters marry. I have a feeling they will say WTF is this? What am I supposed to do with it with zero clue how to wrench anything.

For the record when the car gets to the point that I donā€™t have to do anything but sit in the passenger seat and instead of doing 90% it does 100% - then I am onboard.

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see how quickly the ICE mechanic knowledge dies and how expensive the hobby becomes. With EVs basically killing the majority of that knowledge or the need to learn it.

Emma Stone Reaction GIF

https://twitter.com/JohnLeePettim13/status/1659571273587097601

1000 km = 621.371 miles.

Seems about right. EV drivers should pay higher tax as EVs are going to wear roads faster with their additional weight which means more road maintenance.

1 Like

Ghostofclt with the 2023 winner so far on the Sunvolt reference. Nice!!!

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel
May the wind take your troubles away

Trying to make it far enough, to the next time zone
Few and far between past the midnight hour
You never feel alone, youā€™re really not alone

Switching it over to AM
Searching for a truer sound
Canā€™t recall the call letters
Steel guitar and settle down

Catching an all-night station somewhere in Louisiana
It sounds like 1963, but for now it sounds like heaven"