The EV news thread 🔌

Over 92% of Americans listen to the radio. AM radio’s signal is stronger than any other communications channel in the country, and it’s what Americans count on during times of crisis. The federal government has poured tens of millions of taxpayers’ dollars into making AM and FM radio the centerpiece of its National Public Warning System.

That’s why it’s so disheartening that some EV makers are trying to cut costs by taking AM radio out of their dashes, instead of resolving the signal interference that their motors cause to AM reception — something Honda, Nissan, Toyota, and others have already done successfully.

The government is subsidizing EVs because it believes they will be key to protecting America’s long-term public health and national security interests. But if these automakers continue conflicting with the government’s highest responsibility — protecting public safety — these automakers should be considered part of the problem, not part of the solution

Tried to make this as apolitical as I could - the source is an article from The Hill. Bipartisan issue. No one in Fed Gov wants AM Radio removed from EVs. I tend to agree.

1 Like

clt says am radios are used by the government to spy on us, like the census!

I stream 100% at this point. Live stuff, music, podcasts, etc. once in a while I might hit radio if I’m just thriving a mile down the road and didn’t feel like connecting the phone.

I do agree it shouldn’t be removed though. These cars cost so much, like removing AM is all of a sudden gonna make them affordable?!

2 Likes

AM radio is beyond a dinosaur. Its like still having cars with hand crank engines. In fact they were both around at the same time. If there’s a national crisis I can listen at home. I was really bummed that digital AM and FM aka HD Radio didn’t become mainstream like digital TV. Am quality is barely a step above two soup cans and a string.

1 Like

The Office Thank You GIF

Let’s require rotary phones in homes while we’re at it.

I am not a fan of Volvo, but I love this. I love compact mini SUVs like the Hyundai Kona or Kia Niro. Hopefully they don’t screw up software or something. If they do it right they will sell tons of these. Put in an NACS style connector (I know they won’t), and I would 100% get one.

Most of the other forms are based on much more complex technology and / or don’t have the reach that AM Radio has. Whether it’s a hurricane or a solar flare or some other disaster, AM radio is the best way to maintain complete communication. Streaming stuff from your phone isn’t viable when half the network is down. Whereas a single 50,000 watt AM “fireball” station can reach literally half the country.

AM radio stations with powerful transmitters can reach listeners as far as 1000 miles ( 1600 km ) away. FM radio waves also travel horizontally and skyward. However, due to the higher frequency of the carrier waves, the waves that go skyward are not reflected. They pass through the atmosphere and into space.

The above is discussing skywave propagation, and is dependent on the state of the ionosphere.

In my experience, most people don’t know about this. It’s why AM signals aren’t as clear as FM, but also why they travel farther.

1 Like

This Volvo will be on my list of possibles.

2 Likes

GM is now on board with NACS charging! I love it!! Seriously f*** CCS. With the three biggest EV makers now agreeing on a charging standard, the rest of the dominoes will fall very quickly. Any carmaker still sticking with CCS at this point is digging their own grave.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/AndyatAuto/status/1666839093760622593

O - 60 in 3.4 seconds in a society that can barely drive or hold attention to the road for 3.4 seconds. What could go wrong.

2 Likes

Smash Parks And Recreation GIF

Honey! We going on a road trip in our ERV! First stop - Boone! Hopefully we get there

Regarding the battery. They said literally the exact same thing in 2017. Conveniently it always seems to be 3-5 years away. In 2027, when people have forgotten about this, they will recycle the PR piece and say solid state by 2032.

Others will. Toyota won’t. solid State Battery tech is advancing.

I think the 2030 model year will be the first year you will be able to get one on an affordable car. And that will be the game changer.

They are going to come out with a bridge unit around 2027 that will only be about 20% more efficient than Tesla batteries and that will be for the early adopters. The 2nd gen available 3-4 years later will be the 50% improvement they are already getting at smaller production scale.