The Green Gang?

Just saw this on the Charlotte 49ers Facebook page:

UNC Charlotte Students,

The Charlotte 49ers are looking for social, highly energized students to join The Green Gang! The Green Gang is a new spirit group for Charlotte 49er Athletics! For more information, please contact Ryan Philmon at rphilmon@uncc.edu! Wear Green and Go Niners!

Anybody know anything about this? What exactly are they putting together? I guess it’s just a little “gameday” spirit squad like the Bobcats have.

Green gang sounds terrible.

Gang Green please if u must

Isn’t that copyrighted, though?

why? isn’t this what ninernation is for? and yeah gang green got shot down due to trademark.

The Green Gang sounds like a club that belongs on Barney or some other PBS entity.

Jesus Christ, cibic.

For the sake of all that is good and right in the world, edit that photo out!

Gang Green is what we started back in 2000, now known as Niner Nation.

Gang green was a student group before niner nation.

Actually, I never knew why they changed the name to Niner Nation. I was always disappointed that our name was changed, so good to know it was because of a trademark deal. Not everyone liked the name, but I did.

More reasons why we cannot sustain tradition here. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE NAME NINER NATION??? WHY IS THIS GROUP TRYING TO MAKE AN IDENTITY CHANGE AGAIN!? I’m sick of it. STOP THE DAMN MADNESS! I’m going to post this on that page.

Calm down people. From their Facebook page:

We are just looking for a group to assist with in-game promotions, crowd prompts, etc. It is not a group that will be taking the place of Niner Nation. We are looking for 10-12 students with interest in getting involved in the promotional field.

And for the record, Gang Green was started long before 2000. I think the school tried to make it an official group in 2000 and ruined it.

Here are my comment from facebook:

“I like the idea of students somehow helping with in game production but I dont think it is necessary to come up with an identity for such a group. It will only create more confusion as this very small sample size of comments has demonstrated.”

I don’t see how them trying to start this group could negatively affect any part of our atheletic program.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:13, topic:27325”]Calm down people. From their Facebook page:

We are just looking for a group to assist with in-game promotions, crowd prompts, etc. It is not a group that will be taking the place of Niner Nation. We are looking for 10-12 students with interest in getting involved in the promotional field.

And for the record, Gang Green was started long before 2000. I think the school tried to make it an official group in 2000 and ruined it.[/quote]

I was just about to say that.

Ah the Gang Green vs. Kings threads on Charlotte.com were fun to read.

It wasn’t the school that tried to make it official in 2000. We, meaning the student body president and the committee I chaired on his staff, worked with Athletics to give us a section in the corner each game. After much begging and making the case that the Greeks weren’t holding up their end of the bargain for great seats, we were able to get them to approve the corner section every game. Membership was given to any student who paid $10 which included a Gang Green t-shirt and a seat in that section. We had as many as 200 students for some of the games and was given the upper section in the same corner for some games. We had catered pre-game meals and “pep-rallies” in the dining hall next to the SAC.

We chose the name Gang Green, but my recollection is fuzzy on whether or not the name was floating around in any unofficial capacity at the time.

After we left school, my understanding is that Athletics took more control of the group. Whether Niner Nation is actually the same group, I would say not exactly, but I think our efforts back in 2000 helped non-greek students see they too were entitled to lower level seats and has contributed to what you see now as Niner Nation and all those who feel “connected” because of their involvment.

The name was def around prior to 2000, Jesse Garber (used to be Squirrel on the old Charlotte.com boards) and a handful of other students adopted the moniker mid 90s as a unofficial group of students. It might have predated Jesse, but I know he was in it.

Gang Green and Niner Nation were both student driven spirit groups that the AD absorbed, but they weren’t the same thing and they were different groups under the AD’s watch.

Oh and lets not forget N.U.T.S. - another student lead spirit group late 80s into early 90s.