The new NN.N Feedback/Suggestions/Gripes

Can you change the go to last post button to go to first unread post like the old board had?

okay okay - wehre is the “new posts” option!? I used that thing EVERY time I got on here to see what had been updated since I was last on! I need that optiooon! I don’t like sieving through the “49er sporst forums” then the “Ramblings” then whatever just to see what I’ve missed… I dont read every thread - so I really need that option!

[quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:22, topic:22270”]okay okay - wehre is the “new posts” option!? I used that thing EVERY time I got on here to see what had been updated since I was last on! I need that optiooon! I don’t like sieving through the “49er sporst forums” then the “Ramblings” then whatever just to see what I’ve missed… I dont read every thread - so I really need that option![/quote] What he said

Right next to your avatar above the shoutbox. “View Unread”

Can the overlapping banners at the top be made more see through?

okay. i hate to have to ask, but after i type a shoutbox entry, what do i need to do to get it posted?
this latest iteration just might do me in.
old dogs dislike new tricks, but i’ll hang in…for awhile.

Oh wait. I meant to post here. Suck. I guess that’s another thing to add to list of gripes…if I could explain exactly what happened.

As I said in the other thread where it wasn’t relevant, having to scroll though posts totally sucks. I hate it.

Where are the old links that used to be on the right side?

I think we are going to lose a lot of posters. Change is difficult and the new site is not very intuitive.

Whenever I scroll over one of the drop down menues it places the pullout menus way down the page, so i can never get down there to highlight the next option. Specifically under profile where you can edit everything.

Logging on has been difficult for me. at first my password wouldnt go through, Mac changed it for me (Thanks buddy for all your hard work!). Then I went to change it, and mistyped my email…it had to send me a confirmation link, but I cant access that email…so now my original username cant be accessed(cha_49) Im sure just a few bugs to work out.

A lot of things I like about the new site, a few things I dislike and a few others I just need to get used too…overall, I know its for the better for NNN and for Mac himself!

[quote=“cha49also, post:30, topic:22270”]Logging on has been difficult for me. at first my password wouldnt go through, Mac changed it for me (Thanks buddy for all your hard work!). Then I went to change it, and mistyped my email…it had to send me a confirmation link, but I cant access that email…so now my original username cant be accessed(cha_49) Im sure just a few bugs to work out.

A lot of things I like about the new site, a few things I dislike and a few others I just need to get used too…overall, I know its for the better for NNN and for Mac himself![/quote]

Come on, you only have 2 posts, theres no reason you should be on here complaining! ;D

Whenever I go to modify a previous post or insert additional quotes, everytime I click a button the screen scrolls back to the top of the page. I can keep typing and I fills in but if I want to see it I have to scroll back down after every button push.

I like to follow the rule, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. On that note, I liked the old look, it was simple and it worked.

for the time being… I 100% agree. The old look was simple and easy. Our new look reminds me of other message boards kinda.

The old look was very expensive to keep. VBulletin was requiring a new license, a further drain on mac’s wallet, and I think there were some technical issues as well. When we first implemeneted it, it didn’t look like it did last week. Mac kept refining it til it looked and worked the way we wanted. He’ll do the same here, drawing from his own wallet and free time.

I have some criticisms as well, but let’s give it some time to get tweaked and to get used to it.

One thing I will say is that this software and IE6 do not get along. That’s a shame, because it’s still a very prevelant browser, especially in the workplace.

Things will get worked out… I’ve downloaded virtual machines for IE7 and IE6…

Here’s one thing you need to do if you’re going to gripe: Give good details. I need to know the operating system, browser version, etc. It’s difficult to fix it if I can’t see it or replicate it.

A lot of complaints have been about things that exist here and the person just hasn’t found it yet. The old stuff matured over years and we’ve been on this for 2 days. No one likes change, but this change made sense on a couple of different levels. Like NA said, licensing was going up from a VB perspective. The change to VB 4 was going to be huge as well. Either way, to stay current I was going to have to essentially start all over.

In this case I chose to goahead and move away from VB and start all over somewhere else. I chose SMF because of the great user community and support.

[quote=“ninermac, post:36, topic:22270”]Things will get worked out… I’ve downloaded virtual machines for IE7 and IE6…

Here’s one thing you need to do if you’re going to gripe: Give good details. I need to know the operating system, browser version, etc. It’s difficult to fix it if I can’t see it or replicate it.

A lot of complaints have been about things that exist here and the person just hasn’t found it yet. The old stuff matured over years and we’ve been on this for 2 days. No one likes change, but this change made sense on a couple of different levels. Like NA said, licensing was going up from a VB perspective. The change to VB 4 was going to be huge as well. Either way, to stay current I was going to have to essentially start all over.

In this case I chose to goahead and move away from VB and start all over somewhere else. I chose SMF because of the great user community and support.[/quote]

THANK YOU MAC, THIS SITE SAVES ME FROM INSANITY MOST DAYS…now if I could just get my old Username back…

I’m using the latest version of Firefox, when I first bring up the site, I notice there is way to much wasted space at the top. I have to scroll down in order to see the first post. Same thing happens when I go to post a message, I have to scroll down in order to start typing. The background wallpaper and all that is nice, but just seems like a lot of wasted space at the top even when the shout box is minimized.

That’s my main complaint.

Great point. We were tweaking the old site for a looooooong time after implementation. We’ve barely even had time to let this one sink in so I would caution people to refrain from griping and just explain what you no longer feel you have access to or would like to see added.

The aesthetics should not be a big concern right now. That stuff can be worked on down the road. For now, the suggestions and concerns should focus on content, mechanics and actual bugs/errors you may be encountering. Let’s get that stuff resolved first and mac can make it “pretty” for everyone later on.

Let’s just accept that the old site is not coming back and try to turn this one into an even better place. Rome wasn’t built in a day though…

haven’t read any of this thread if it’s already been said, but I’m pretty sure the 300 character limit for sigs is too small, unless I’m doing something wrong.

Apparently my old sig was kinda grandfathered in because when I go to edit it, the 300 character limit stops it at like “Name Confu.” So I can’t edit it or I will lose the quote I believe.

I know some people don’t like big sigs, but I think as long as you maintain a decent vertical limit, character total doesn’t matter. If they are annoying to you or bog down your scheisse, you can always turn them off.