the O-List: Charlotte's All-time starting five

[URL]http://theolist.blogspot.com/2009/03/all-time-starting-five-charlotte.html[/URL]

[QUOTE=Chisox17;391036][URL]http://theolist.blogspot.com/2009/03/all-time-starting-five-charlotte.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

Maxwell and Watkins 58-0 home record is incredible to me. Everytime I see it, I just shake my head. Incredible!

Massey shafted again. Watkins was the 5th leading scorer on the '77 team, but he always manages to get ahead of Massey. I’m not sure this is even done position-by-position, because Dink and Henry were both 2-guards. Therefore, I would have picked Massey. 4 out of 5 ain’t bad, though.

Massey shafted again. Watkins was the 5th leading scorer on the '77 team, but he always manages to get ahead of Massey.

???

Where in that article or list did you see Watkins mentioned??

Massey may get the nod before Watkins but Watkins isn’t on the list.

[QUOTE=TRLeader;391058]???

Where in that article or list did you see Watkins mentioned??

Massey may get the nod before Watkins but Watkins isn’t on the list.[/QUOTE]
He never said Watkins was on or should be on the list. However Maxwell and Watkins played 4 years together and were undefeated at home their entire college careers.

IMO, Chad Kinch belongs on that list.

And I still think Massey may be our all-time scorer if we had a 3 point shot back then.

He never said Watkins was on or should be on the list. However Maxwell and Watkins played 4 years together and were undefeated at home their entire college careers.

An accomplishment that many don’t know (I didn’t even know that)

Maxwell and Watkins played 4 years together and were undefeated at home their entire college careers.
Also.... They didn't exactly lose very many on the road during those years.

To leave off Chad Kinch is crazy

How do you leave off Jarvis Lang?

[QUOTE=DrJ708;391200]How do you leave off Jarvis Lang?[/QUOTE]

Who would you replace n the list with Jarvis? I never saw Dink play, but I saw Jarvis, Eddie, and DeMarco. 'Bread and Henry are automatic. DeMarco wasn’t the dunker Jarvis was, but was a better scorer and rebounded as good. Eddie did it all. It comes down to Dinkins, Massey, and Lang for the last spot for me. I go with Lew, if I’m picking. He doesn’t even have his jersey on the wall, though, and he’s our 3rd all time leading scorer.

Max, Massey and Watkins accomplished way more than any team since so my thought are that four of five are off. Add Chad Kinch, Lew Massey, Henry Williams, Melvin Watkins and keep Cedric Maxwell and drop the newbies and you got a solid list. Runner up in NIT and bad call against Marquette and UNCC would have rolled UNC for title in 1977. Stuff since kind of pales in my opinion. Some pretty good teams but really?

[QUOTE=dorm72;391237]Max, Massey and Watkins accomplished way more than any team since so my thought are that four of five are off. Add Chad Kinch, Lew Massey, Henry Williams, Melvin Watkins and keep Cedric Maxwell and drop the newbies and you got a solid list. Runner up in NIT and bad call against Marquette and UNCC would have rolled UNC for title in 1977. Stuff since kind of pales in my opinion. Some pretty good teams but really?[/QUOTE]

Lots of great pieces to that team, but these are individual awards. Kinch and Colson are probably our two best PG’s of all time. That’s the toughest spot for me to pick if I’m picking my all-time starting 5, position by position.

i hate to say it but it looks like maxwell is the only unanimous chice on that list.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;391251]i hate to say it but it looks like maxwell is the only unanimous chice on that list.[/QUOTE]

I never saw Henry play a game, but you’ve got to be ignorant or simply biased towards somebody else to leave him off. I started at Charlotte the year after Henry left, and my roommate my first year constantly talked about him and how amazing a shooter he was.

[QUOTE=X-49er;391257]I never saw Henry play a game, but you’ve got to be ignorant or simply biased towards somebody else to leave him off. I started at Charlotte the year after Henry left, and my roommate my first year constantly talked about him and how amazing a shooter he was.[/QUOTE]i would put henry on that list. i was just saying maxwell is the one everyone agrees on.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;391259]i would put henry on that list. i was just saying maxwell is the one everyone agrees on.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. I just don’t see why Henry is not unanimous. After he and 'Bread, there are 5-6 that are certainly debatable…

I think that that’s a pretty reasonable list…

Who would you replace n the list with Jarvis? I never saw Dink play, but I saw Jarvis, Eddie, and DeMarco. 'Bread and Henry are automatic. DeMarco wasn't the dunker Jarvis was, but was a better scorer and rebounded as good. Eddie did it all. It comes down to Dinkins, Massey, and Lang for the last spot for me. I go with Lew, if I'm picking. He doesn't even have his jersey on the wall, though, and he's our 3rd all time leading scorer.

although it seems most posters would disagree with me, I would probably take Eddie off of that list. As good as he was, he was not better than several guys that were left off, IMO.

Eddie did so many things on the defensive end, so you can’t just look at his offensive stats. It would be a tough call as to who I would take at the 3 on my all-time Niner position-by-position team between Eddie and Lew.