The OFFICIAL schedule thread

Some more messing around, here is my last schedule background, I think it looks better than my earlier efforts:

No times yet, but at least they have posted up the schedule on charlotte49ers.com and taken down last year’s schedule. Times must be coming some time soon…

Why do we only list the nonconference schedule for St. Joe’s?

[QUOTE=survivor45;187422]Why do we only list the nonconference schedule for St. Joe’s?[/QUOTE]

The full schedule is finally out (posted yesterday on their website)…

SAINT JOSEPH’S HAWKS

Thu. Nov. 9 WIDENER (exhibition)
Tue. Nov. 14 FAIRFIELD
Fri. Nov. 17 at Lafayette
Sun. Nov. 19 BUCKNELL
Sat. Nov. 25 at Penn State
Mon. Nov. 27 BOSTON UNIV.
Sat. Dec. 2 DREXEL (at Palestra)
Fri.-Sun. Dec. 8-10 NABC Classic at Louisville (St. Joe’s, Louisville, Ohio U., TBA)
Tue. Dec. 19 SAINT MARY’S
Thu. Dec. 28 vs. Hofstra at Holiday Festival (Madison Square Garden)
Fri. Dec. 29 vs. St. John’s or Boston U. at Holiday Festival
Wed. Jan. 3 DUQUESNE
Sun. Jan. 7 at Charlotte
Wed. Jan. 10 at Temple
Sat. Jan. 13 RHODE ISLAND
Wed. Jan. 17 at Fordham
Sun. Jan. 21 XAVIER
Wed. Jan. 24 at George Washington
Sat. Jan. 27 PENN (at Palestra)
Thu. Feb. 1 SAINT LOUIS
Sun. Feb. 4 DAYTON
Tue. Feb. 6 at Villanova
Sat. Feb. 10 at La Salle (at Palestra)
Wed. Feb. 14 GEORGE WASHINGTON
Sat. Feb. 17 at St. Bonaventure
Thu. Feb. 22 TEMPLE (at Palestra)
Sat. Feb. 24 at Richmond
Wed. Feb. 28 at Xavier
Sat. Mar. 3 MASSACHUSETTS
Wed.-Sat. Mar. 7-10 Atlantic 10 Championship (at Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ)

I just edited it in there, the A-10 schedule was not released at the time.

Good piece by Mike DeCourcy on Temple scheduling…

[b]Temple's strength is its lack of strength of schedule[/b]

Mike DeCourcy
The Sporting News
September 6, 2006

Not many coaches with aspirations of finishing the season in the NCAA Tournament would choose to begin the year with a game at Kent State. That’s generally not how it’s done. The way to open a season is at home against a team that believes March is for spring break in Cancun.

For Temple, though, the Kent State trip is a sign scheduling no longer will be an exercise in self-flagellation.

When the Owls released their schedule for 2006-07 – the first season under coach Fran Dunphy – Kent State ranked among their most difficult nonleague opponents. There’s a visit to Duke in January. Long Beach State, Rutgers and Towson will test the Owls. Their Big 5 games remain imposing. But there are about as many games against true mid-majors as in the past four years combined.

In his final five years as coach, each of which ended without an NCAA Tournament appearance, John Chaney’s philosophy of scheduling elite competition helped ruin some fairly promising seasons. Temple won 62.5 percent of its Atlantic 10 Conference games in that period but only 40.4 percent of its regular-season games outside the league. The Owls rarely played games against mid- or low-major opponents. There were two seasons in which Temple’s only such game was its Big 5 matchup against Penn, Dunphy’s perennial Ivy League champion.

Chaney believed playing these schedules toughened the Owls. Many fans loved to hear such talk, but it was mostly empty rhetoric. The past four national champions averaged nonleague schedule ratings of 146.3. Florida looked pretty tough last March, though its nonleague schedule strength ranked 253rd out of 334 teams’.

Dunphy does not concede there has been a change in approach at Temple. Part of the difference in the schedule can be attributed to the university’s commitment to joining the Mid-American Conference in football. That deal calls for the Owls to play each MAC member in a home-and-home series during the next five years and placed four games against MAC members on this season’s schedule.

With those four, 16 in A-10 competition and Big 5 games against Villanova and Penn, Temple had room to line up seven games. Of those, only three are against major-conference opponents (Cincinnati, Rutgers and Duke). In past years, all seven would have been against big-timers.

The problem with the new schedule is that, even in turning the volume down from 11 on the amp, Temple is making things more difficult than they need to be. Deals with Lafayette, Drexel and Long Beach State call for the Owls to make return visits.

A program at Temple’s level should be willing to pay to buy those opponents for home games only. The administration has invested in future success by hiring a gifted coach. It needs to give him the support to succeed.

Link: SportingNews.com

Not sure I understand his statement about Drexel, though. Like Temple, it’s a Philly school, so it isn’t like the Owls are making a cross-country trek for that one.

FORDHAM RAMS

Wed. Nov. 1 BLOOMFIELD COLLEGE (Exh.)
Fri. Nov. 10 SACRED HEART
Mon. Nov. 13 vs. Tennessee (Preseason NIT, Nashville, TN)
Tues. Nov. 14 vs. UNC-Wilmington or Belmont (Preseason NIT, Nashville, TN)
Wed. Nov. 22 Preseason NIT Semifinals Madison Square Garden
Fri. Nov. 24 Preseason NIT Finals Madison Square Garden
Sun. Nov. 26 ST. FRANCIS (NY)
Thu. Nov. 30 MANHATTAN
Sun. Dec. 3 IONA
Wed. Dec. 6 at Maryland
Sat. Dec. 9 at Penn
Tues. Dec. 12 at Texas A&M
Sat. Dec. 23 at College of Charleston
Thu. Dec. 28 FAIRFIELD
Sun. Dec. 31 QUINNIPIAC
Wed. Jan. 3 at George Washington
Sat. Jan. 6 at Richmond
Thu. Jan. 11 XAVIER
Sun. Jan. 14 at Duquesne
Wed. Jan. 17 SAINT JOSEPH’S
Sat. Jan. 20 SAINT LOUIS
Sat. Jan. 27 at La Salle
Wed. Jan. 31 ST. BONAVENTURE
Sat. Feb. 3 RHODE ISLAND
Wed. Feb. 7 at Dayton
Sat. Feb. 10 at Charlotte
Thu. Feb. 15 MASSACHUSETTS
Sun. Feb. 18 DUQUESNE
Sat. Feb. 24 at Rhode Island
Wed. Feb. 28 at St. Bonaventure
Sat. Mar. 3 TEMPLE
Wed.-Sat. Mar. 7-10 at Atlantic 10 Tournament, Atlantic City, NJ

I noticed the Syracuse game is once again the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Did they not learn their lesson?

Hopefully this time we wont come to close to blowing our 21 point lead

[QUOTE=Chisox17;187443]Hopefully this time we wont come to close to blowing our 21 point lead[/QUOTE]

True, but that after Boeham treated to kick Mcnarmia (sp?) off the team!!!

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;187442]I noticed the Syracuse game is once again the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Did they not learn their lesson?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Chisox17;187443]Hopefully this time we wont come to close to blowing our 21 point lead[/QUOTE]

that was a heart-thumper. coming close is one thing. actually blowing the lead and losing is another story.

that particular day is a great time to take away their home court advantage. their fans are traveling.

We play Houston women at home the same night we play Houston men in Hawaii. I just thought that was interesting.

We also play Davdison men and Women @ davidson on the same night but thats not as much of a coincidence.

Well cuse might not have any fans up there… but we WILL

Painted green and white… one ass cheeck white, the other green… and on top of that we will rush the court!
:49ers:

[QUOTE=Gill2003;187545]Painted green and white… one ass cheeck white, the other green… and on top of that we will rush the court!
:49ers:[/QUOTE]

Syracuse will be good this year, but sure as hell not rush the court good.

When we win, we will rush the court…!

Not sure I understand his statement about Drexel, though. Like Temple, it's a Philly school, so it isn't like the Owls are making a cross-country trek for that one.

That’s just an inflated version of Charlotte vs Davidson…why do we make the cross-county trek?

[QUOTE=Gill2003;187551]When we win, we will rush the court…![/QUOTE]

OOOK, why?? :huh:

You disrespect your own team when you rush the court after beating someone who isnt great.

TRUTH! I stand corrected… and will not rush.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;187560]OOOK, why?? :huh:

You disrespect your own team when you rush the court after beating someone who isnt great.[/QUOTE]

That’s why I’m glad Cinci isn’t coming to town this year. (for all the Cinci fans lurking around lately). :tongue: