The statement that I did not want to hear.

“Nothing really changed with Charlotte I still really like them,” said Gee. “It’s just that I have schools that are playing in better conferences so I’m just looking around.”

This is the tougher road of the A-10 besides our other recruiting difficulties where we are located. I like the A-10 compared to what the new C-USA will look like but the bottom tier teams are really hurting this conference. The schools and conferences Gee is receiving offers from are all top tier but if I remember correctly the A-10 had 2 teams in the Elite 8 (X & St. Joe’s) and one team one shot from theFinal Four. I think they have also had 2 national players of the year (Nelson & West) in the past couple of seasons.

The A-10 has great potential with the markets they are in and the true basketball only distinction but the conference has to get rid of the dead weight at the bottom to really step up.

That being said Gee and other recruits need to realize the path Jameer Nelson and David West took and the recognition it provided. I do not think they have the same path playing in the ACC or SEC. Sometimes the next “big thing” that is always coming at the top tier schools can cloud the situation.

Final games of the 2003-04 season for the A-10:

East Rutherford Final:

OK State 64
Saint Joe’s 62

Atlanta Regional Final:

Duke 66
Xavier 63

College Men’s Basketball Players of the Year from the A-10:

Marcus Camby (UMass) 1996
David West (Xavier) 2003
Jameer Nelson (Saint Joe’s) 2004

Unfortunately perception is reality in the eyes of potential recruits.

One more thing about the 2003-04 season as relates to the NBA Draft:

A-10: 3 players selected, 2 in first round (4 players if you count David Young of NC Central, who transferred from Xavier for his senior season)

ACC: 3 players selected, 1 in first round

Yep, playing in those “top-tier” conferences is really a plus… :rolleyes:

[i]Originally posted by TheShowDawg[/i]@Aug 5 2004, 11:56 AM [b][b]"Nothing really changed with Charlotte I still really like them," said Gee. "It's just that I have schools that are playing in better conferences so I'm just looking around."[/b] [/b]
I take this as a good thing. This means we are still up really high on his list(sounds like we are still the current top choice). By saying "i'm just looking around" it sounds like he still has Charlotte at the top. Apparently early minutes are important, I don't know the exact situations with the other "big conference" schools that are after him, but if he comes here there is a good chance he will be starting at SF for us next season, and if not he will at least be our #1 bench player for a year then start from his sophomore season on out as long as he is here. Like someone said, we will most likely have Alexander, Micheal Neal and _____(hopefully Gee) to play 80 minutes a game at SG/SF, that's around 25-28 a game a peice for them. Like i said, i don't know the situation with the other schools, but he will get serious minutes and be at worst the 4th offensive option on the team(at best he could be our #2 goto guy).

I think it’s a good sign that “nothing really changed with Charlotte” because we were originally his clear top choice…I’m still not liking all these other “better conference” schools jumping in, but I definitely haven’t given up on him wearing a Niner uniform in 05.

Gee also had this to say…“I will say this I don’t know about the other schools but Charlotte will definitely be in my top five”

[b]A-10: 3 players selected, 2 in first round (4 players if you count David Young of NC Central, who transferred from Xavier for his senior season)

ACC: 3 players selected, 1 in first round

Yep, playing in those “top-tier” conferences is really a plus… [/b]

You have to take into account more than 1 year. Sorry but the ACC does send alot of players to the NBA and that’s why they get many of the top recruits. I will say with all the high schoolers going early, the playing field is leveling out.

The playing field is most definately not leveling out. It is getting more and more lop-sided if you are talking about recruiting. It is a heckuva lot easier for Duke to replace a top flight guy than it is for us to replace a Rodney White.

However, I think it may be easier for a team like a St Joe’s or hopefully us to make deep runs in the tournament. Especially if we can keep guys like Withers 3 or 4 yrs and surround him with adequate Jr and Sr talent.

Four A-10ers (West, Nelson, Sato and Chalmers) – 5 if you count the NC Central guy.