Things i noticed from the game

Pretty good outing against a stingy squad tonight

Baldwin= shoulder hurt what? good game man he is so fast 19 pts

Withers= a little slow in the first half but tore it up in the 2nd 15 + points

Plav= folks i think he thought he was playing against syracuse tonight 25 pts

sager= didnt miss a 3 tonight and pretty good D 10 +pts

Drayton= got alot of trash points very good hustle 10+pts

Eddie= Great 3 and awesome hustle 9 pts

Goldwire= really didnt show much goes to the right all the time needs alot of work on his left

Nance= man hes a beast look for good things to come from this guy

Iti= wheres the hook he developed. really didnt show anything but a few great blocks 3pts
Great game tonight just wish the nest game was sooner

PLavich played outstanding. He didn’t look like he was playing Syrcause, he looked way better. He took smart shots, he hustled, he got back on defense (against a quick team) and just looked like a 100x better player. I loved his game. He had a couple of bad shots, and he got beat a couple of times, but all around, I think he had the best game out there. I don’t even care about those 3s he got at the end of the game. He played smart and did what it will take to make us a better team.

Mitch gets hurt, and we are screwed. Leemire may be the PG of the future, but he’s not the PG of now. I do think Mitch was still a little sore, but he made some bonehead plays too. He’ll have to take his lumps, but he’s far and away the best PG on the team.

Eddie and Curt just looked bored. They didn’t try really hard and didn’t have to.

Nance is better than Clemmons. Not a knock on Cal, just Nance plays smart and hard. I love his game.

EJ just has the same problem as Plav last year, he shoots too much and gets beat on D. Hopefully it will be corrected before conference play, but those are the risks with Jucos.

Martin, stay on your frickin feet man, geeeeeze. How hard is it for a guy that tall to just stand his ground? He should never foul out against that team, ever.

EVER.

First half was pretty terrible, largely I think because Mitch didn’t start. Sager looked good on the shots he took, but still looked a little scared to play his game.

The falcons gave us a good test, and we responded well. I am sure Goldwire will get his game together, but our starters, plus Sager, Nance and EJ looked like they COULD be top 25. They aren’t Top 15 yet, but they could be, especially if they gel.

Nance’s new name is Bojangles, because he is all about the hustle stats…and if he picks up a foul a game because he plants some guard in the ground that gets alittle close, I’ll take it. He is so much better than Cal because he can catch the ball.

We have got to get better defensively. Our zone D sucked. Pfeiffer ran the same play against our zone three times in a row in the fist half, and we had no clue how to stop it.

Why didn’t Jerrell play? Is he hurt?

EJ needs to attack the goal. The finesse layups aren’t going to get it done against the big boys. To quote Bill Walton, “Throw it down big fella, throw it down!”

Sager looked good,…even got the and one off the break.

BP was on tonight. Hopefully he’s on more than he’s off.

Iti’s ‘D’ has improved, it still needs work.

Curt was Curt, and Eddie was Eddie…'nuff said.

[i]Originally posted by Smoothieking[/i]@Nov 2 2004, 10:24 PM [b]

We have got to get better defensively. Our zone D sucked. Pfeiffer ran the same play against our zone three times in a row in the fist half, and we had no clue how to stop it.

[/b]

I am so sick of talking about our team’s defense, I just had to ignore it tonight. Perimeter D was awful. Better team would have eaten us for breakfast out there tonight.

It’s okay though, I keep hearing that it will get better later in the season, so I’m going to believe it.

Iti fouled out? That’s disturbing.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Nov 2 2004, 10:04 PM [b] Nance is better than Clemmons. Not a knock on Cal, just Nance plays smart and hard. I love his game. [/b]
i couldnt agree more, nance is going to be the unsung hero of this team
[i]Originally posted by Mike Niner Hunt[/i]@Nov 3 2004, 02:41 AM [b] Iti fouled out? That's disturbing. [/b]
5 fouls, 3 points, a bunch of blocks against guys that were 6'3"....he's definitely top 10 in next years draft. :wacko: Just plain embarrasing.
[i]Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles+Nov 3 2004, 08:12 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mr. Bojangles @ Nov 3 2004, 08:12 AM)
[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Nov 2 2004, 10:04 PM [b] PLavich played outstanding. He didn't look like he was playing Syrcause, he looked way better. He took smart shots, he hustled, he got back on defense (against a quick team) and just looked like a 100x better player. I loved his game. He had a couple of bad shots, and he got beat a couple of times, but all around, I think he had the best game out there. I don't even care about those 3s he got at the end of the game. He played smart and did what it will take to make us a better team.

Mitch gets hurt, and we are screwed. Leemire may be the PG of the future, but he’s not the PG of now. I do think Mitch was still a little sore, but he made some bonehead plays too. He’ll have to take his lumps, but he’s far and away the best PG on the team.

[/b]

Plavich: 9-of-15 long rangers on his way to a game-high 28 points. He added five rebounds, five assists and three steals.

Mitchell is the difference maker.

If people don’t stop him, he’ll shoot 80% from the field.

We don’t need Iti to score a lot. If he does nothing but stand there and block or alter shots, I’ll be happy. He just needs to stay on his feet. I don’t mind the scrum incident… it shows hustle and aggressive play which he’ll need against our opponents. Don’t think UC et al won’t throw a few elbows and shoves themselves. I do hope he can check his emotions, but I like to see the hustle.

Mitch is super fast. His nickname should be coast to coast. The little pull up he did in traffic made me break into a super wide grin. The only thing he needs right now is the ability to make the pass the few times he does get cut off. If he can do that, he’s the complete player we need. He’s already a solid weapon that teams will have to worry about.

PB is right about Plav. Wow. He kept up with their fast guards. The weight loss (I thought it was visually noticeable) has made a big difference.

I love Nance already. Trying not to get my hopes up because he was playing against a small team, but I was constantly checking off the little-things boxes like: hustle plays, smart plays, being in the right position on defense, consistent effort, owning the rebounds, and just being a rock solid contributor. The one pull up from the near baseline that I saw was silky smooth and all net. Iti had better watch out. This guy is coming to play.

Iti is out of shape. I’m so disappointed. He was wheezing like I would out there. The foul on the three point shot he committed was lazy frustration because he didnt have the gas to get out there and get a hand in a 6’0 guy’s face. On defense, he is good at swatting guys that are shorter than him, in the lane, but he is wretched at bodying up the other guys post player and keeping him off the rim & backboard. On rebounds, he doesn’t look for someone to box out, he justs tands there cause he’s tired. He let the skinny white kid that MK nicknamed “Leif Garrett” absolutely own him in the post in the first half. Bottom line - he has got to get his conditioning up to par and he has to learn how to win the battles near the hoop.

The fast break dunk he had was cool. Just wanted to say something positive.

Goldwire aint ready yet. He reminds me of Mitch as a frosh/soph, less speed, probably a better shooter, though his weren’t falling last night. Needs to work on his handle and going left.

Overall, we have some good defenders but we still play lousy team defense. I’m starting to think that we need to abandon some of the junk dfeenses and concentrate on playing 2 or 3 defenses really well. We can be very good if we fix this and shoot FTs above 70%.

[b]He pulled a similar stunt last year at Cincy[/b]
I remember that, it was @Cinci, but from what I remember of the game Cinci was playing us [b]VERY[/b] physical (even more so than usual) and nothing was being called. James White fouled Iti hard and Iti got in his face and then the ref's got involved. I am not saying that I think the guy should be swinging at anybody but I liked the fact that our big man didn't take any crap - the whole team was getting pushed around and it had to come to a stop for us to be able to compete (IMO). After the altercation, however, the game was called better, on both sides, and the Niners come out of the Shoe with their first W there ever.

I’m not saying that Iti’s altercation was the reason we won, but I do feel it changed the way the game was called and gave the players more momentum.

As far as the thing last night - dumb and uncalled for. You are right PI, it would (and should have) been a technical & deserving of such.

Very disappointed to read that Iti fouled out and only 3 points, but at least 6 blocks. Does he run the floor any better like we have been hearing?

Overall sounds pretty good for first outing. Can’t wait to go to game when I am home for holidays.

[i]Originally posted by TampaNiner[/i]@Nov 3 2004, 11:45 AM [b] Very disappointed to read that Iti fouled out and only 3 points, but at least 6 blocks. Does he run the floor any better like we have been hearing?

Overall sounds pretty good for first outing. Can’t wait to go to game when I am home for holidays. [/b]

He does run the floor well Tampa. He is lighter. That works against him on defense though. The skinny 6’6 Pfeiffer center (“shaggy”) bodied him up in the post and went right around him. Iti doesnt have enough mass to body the guy off the basket.

IMO though, it’s all about conditioning. In my limited athletic experience, if you aren’t in shape, nothing else matters. If you’re constantly wheezing and cannot perform, skill, power & speed don’t matter. Mitch felt that he wasnt in game shape yet and he ran up and down the court twice as much as Iti did.

I know Iti hasn’t played basketball very long and I know he isn’t very bright, as shown by his NBA flirtation, but lazy too? I thought he dropped some pounds so he could run the court but he’s still huffing? These fouls seem to be what a frustrated child would commit, this kid just seems more and more immature everyday, get your head on straight or we can call you the new whitehead/neely/helliwell.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Nov 3 2004, 10:50 AM [b] IMO though, it's all about conditioning. In my limited athletic experience, if you aren't in shape, nothing else matters. If you're constantly wheezing and cannot perform, skill, power & speed don't matter. Mitch felt that he wasnt in game shape yet and he ran up and down the court twice as much as Iti did. [/b]
Definitely not conditioned to play 30 minutes per game, even though he's moving better. When he's fresh, he'll help us. Glad we have Nance who appears to be a nice player.

Nice turn-out, I thought. Official attendance listed at 6,260. Much more excitement than the typical exhib games.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Nov 3 2004, 12:02 PM [b] Nice turn-out, I thought. Official attendance listed at 6,260. Much more excitement than the typical exhib games. [/b]
Lefty, it was a nice turnout, though nowhere near the official listed in the box score.

I’m really trying to pull for Iti, though it’s not easy at times. I thought it was interesting that Pfeiffer decided that they were just going to take it to him and let whatever happen just happen. So he gets 6 blocks and picks up 5 fouls in 16 minutes, plus 3 points and 3 rebounds.

Knowing that he’s really 6-9 and change thanks to his “testing the waters,” I wish we’d stop publishing the 7-0 crap.

I’m looking forward to the 19th when the “other” Niners come to town. This is going to be a special year…

It was more exciting because Pfeiffer brought all those loud fans with them.

Nance was definitely the most pleasant surprise of the night. Mitch was the 2nd nicest surprise.

GO NINERS!!!

B) B) B)

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Nov 3 2004, 12:22 PM [b]Lefty, it was a nice turnout, though nowhere near the official listed in the box score.[/b]
That 6260 attendance figure was more like the number of empty seats in Halton. Without Pfeiffer's fans, it would've been dead in the arena. They cheered loudly even when down 30+. The students should take notice.

Over40, you for got surprise #3… helping Nick rate the Gold Dusters from courtside.