This is just... retarded

[URL=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/20/BAUC13L3GQ.DTL]Fastest runner doesnt win marathon[/URL]

Ridiculous.

[URL=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/20/BAUC13L3GQ.DTL]Fastest runner doesnt win marathon[/URL]

Ridiculous.

this pisses me off. something similar happened to a friend of mine in the dc marathon. if you don’t start near the front, your times don’t matter. there is technology that can track individual runners. it has been has been around for like a decade. however, they’d rather build up their “elite” runners instead of recognizing who ran the same distance the fastest. i guess lance armstrong didn’t win the tour de france because he didn’t finish first on the last leg.

its stupid. its like metro using the word “fail.”

That is the dumbest damn thing I’ve seen all day. Seriosuly, what were those people thinking.

Can we apply this logic to games we lost last year?

Bump.

I thought about this some more during the evening commute. 26 miles is a long GD way to run and get told you don’t count.

**** that.

What they left out is I had a time 5 minutes quicker but I got disqualified for having a dick!!! What’s up with that?

And a Kenyan didn’t get the 4th-place $ in Chicago because he wasn’t "elite."
Shouldn’t the “elite” not need help.
I think I hear a lawsuit.

This is bull****, I’ve sent a email (question or whatever) on their site nikebiz.com telling them about this and that I won’t be purchasing Nike products in the near future.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;351953]What they left out is I had a time 5 minutes quicker but I got disqualified for having a dick!!! What’s up with that?[/QUOTE]

You shouldn’t have stopped for one.

[QUOTE=49erPress;351883]this pisses me off. something similar happened to a friend of mine in the dc marathon. if you don’t start near the front, your times don’t matter. there is technology that can track individual runners. it has been has been around for like a decade. however, they’d rather build up their “elite” runners instead of recognizing who ran the same distance the fastest. i guess lance armstrong didn’t win the tour de france because he didn’t finish first on the last leg.

its stupid. its like metro using the word “fail.”[/QUOTE]

If you would post one time and not fail…

[QUOTE=metro;351990]If you would post one time and not fail…[/QUOTE]

and the hit’s just keep on coming.

UPDATE: Well I took the liberity to go to nikebiz.com and file a complaint figuring it was worth a shot. I basically gave a lengthy rant about how this was wrong and I have supported the Nike image, brand, and appreciated the quality of the products all my life, which has resulted in me being a lifelong customer of Nike products.

Then I basically told them I can’t bring myself to buy anymore products from Nike because their decision insults the spirit of America and what I thought Nike stood for.

Here’s my original Complaint and subsequent response:

[QUOTE=My Original]Customer (Christopher Beaver) - 10/21/2008 04:17 PM
I just read the story about Adrien O’Connell, a fifth grade teacher, who had the fastest time at the Nike’s Women Marathon. But she wasn’t declared the winner…

Before I read this news I highly respected Nike, the brand, company, and the products. Nike now has a black spot in my book. How can you possibly tell someone who RAN the fastest in a marathon, that they didn’t win. That’s ABSURD!

I’ve been buying Nike products for years. Shoes, Clothing, gear, etc. I love the quality of the brand as well as it’s image.

That being said…

I will not be buying any Nike Products in the future (unless they decide to give this woman what she deserves) nor will I respect the Nike brand. This is a sad day for what was a great company in my book.

This goes against all of what America is and stands for.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=nikebiz]Response (Michael) - 10/22/2008 07:44 AM
Hello Christopher-

Nike is announcing today that it recognizes Arien O’Connell as a winner in last weekend’s Nike Women’s Marathon with the fastest chip time, completing the full race in 2:55:11. She shattered her previous time and achieved an amazing accomplishment.

Arien will receive the same recognition and prize, including a Tiffany bowl, the full marathon elite group winner received. Arien was unfortunately not immediately recognized as a race winner because she did not start the race with the elite running group, which is required by USATF standards. Because of their earlier start time, the runners in the elite group had no knowledge of the outstanding race Arien was running and could not adjust their strategies accordingly.

Learning from the unique experience in this year’s race, Nike has decided today to eliminate the elite running group from future Nike Women’s Marathons. Next year, all runners will run in the same group and all will be eligible to win.

Nike has a proven track record of supporting athletes and we’re proud to be able to honor Arien and other athletes who surpass their goals and achieve great accomplishments.

Michael
Nike

[—001:002402:37405—]

[/QUOTE]

They have eliminated the “ELITE” running group! Adrien will receive prize money, etc. for what is rightfully hers. This is a victory folks! HORRAY!

Story -

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/10/23/sports/ATH-Marathon-Double-Winner.php

So they have to “share the title.” I guess that’s a somewhat fair compromise. At least they elminated the “elite” section of runners.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;351868][URL=http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/10/20/BAUC13L3GQ.DTL]Fastest runner doesnt win marathon[/URL]

Ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
Success being punished…is that the kind of “change” we want?

What kind of excuse is that the elite runners didn’t know you were running so they couldn’t adjust their run times? I thought you were supposed to go as fast as possible, no matter who’s running?

[QUOTE=lake49er;353126]Success being punished…is that the kind of “change” we want?[/QUOTE]

Totally out of place.

Success being punished...is that the kind of "change" we want?
Depends on who had the success. When Niners have success, no one in the home town finds out about it, so some times it makes no difference.

Ninerballin, you though Nike was an “respected” company before this? Have you heard of their sweat shops in 3rd world countries?