tips and advice for visiting Charleston

The Wreck at Shem Creek is incredible. Most people have no clue it's even there since it's down an old road back in behind the more common spots near the main road. Incredible seafood.

We also always have dinner at the Mustard Seed in Mt. Pleasant. More of a local’s spot but the food is amazing.

We prefer Sullivan’s when it comes to lounging on the beach. More of a private feeling there and you can’t beat a pint with a burger at Poe’s.

There are a lot of great spots to eat in Charleston if you stray
off the main strip and venture down some of the side roads. Nothing all that cheap but if you’re going to Charleston, you have to live a little.

Highly recommend Patriot’s Point. I’m not even a big history or war buff but that was a blast. You can spend half a day there easily touring the Yorktown and other various vessels.

What’s funny is that we don’t even really spend a lot of time in Charleston itself. There are so many great things to do and places to go in the surrounding areas that each time we go, we spend less and less time in downtown Charleston. We almost didn’t even cross the bridge when we went earlier this month.

Have fun. I can’t wait to go back in April for the Bridge Run.

I have not done the official run, but everytime I go to clstn I run the bridge, its absolutey the best run you can find.

I am a big fan of [URL=http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/]Magnolia's.[/URL] Great food and nice atmosphere, very Charleston. [URL=http://www.hymanseafood.com]Hyman's[/URL] Seafood is a local legend. I like it because of the history, and the seafood is good and fresh, but I wouldn't wait crazy long to get in. Often there is a long line. EDIT: You did ask for the best restaurants and I almost forgot the [URL=http://www.charlestongrill.com/#home]Charleston Grill[/URL]. Not sure what best means to you, but this is a great place. Not sure what pricey means to you, but this is pricey. I would still go to Magnolia's.

I also like the carriage rides as a good way to start your trip. They are interesting and you will see it all, and can then walk back to everything that interests you. It doesn’t matter which one you take, the city regulates the routes and each time one leaves they have to take the next one on the list. This keeps them spaced out. You see all the main sights regardless.

Walk down to Waterfront Park in the evening and sit in a swing on the pier.

I think Magnolias is over-rated. Been there 2x and the food was OK. A little stuffy.

Like has been said before, Hyman’s had great seafood and Poogan’s Porch was awesome low-country food, plus they serve alligator and there are cool articles about how its haunted by some chick that lots of people have seen/experienced at night. If yall are trying to go doofin (which I KNOW you are:biggrin:), Isle of Palms north of Charleston is a public beach that allows that. Have fun!

Edit: Just saw other mentions of beaches… me and Siggy both swam past the end of the pier at Isle of Palms and the water was unsually calm and bathwater-esque. Maybe we just hit it at the right time/weather.

Go to this Italian restaurant called Bocci, it’s soooooooooo good and very authentic as well.

Thanks for all of the great advice guys! A lot of awesome suggestions in this thread, I’ll want to hit them all, but unfortunately we will only have 3 days down there. Deez, there will definitely be doofin haha.

Keep the suggestions coming!

what’s doofin

what's doofin

doofin = :drink:

[QUOTE=Chisox17;422370]doofin = :drink:[/QUOTE]

interesting. urban dictionary.com gives 2 completely different definitions.

interesting. urban dictionary.com gives 2 completely different definitions.

haha I dont know what urban dictionary says, but moss2k is credited with making up the word doof some years ago, and it’s stuck since then.

I think I hit High Cotton on a good night, but as I usually say, I had one of the best filets there I’ve ever had. It was a business dinner and I barely heard a word. Mouthgasm… okay that just sounds wrong. Especially after watching Clerks 2 last night.

I used to insist on a yard or half yard on Rooftop to start every trip down there. Less practical with kids.

Trying to come up with something original… there’s a little italian restaurant… looks like someonealready said it - Bocci’s. My sister told me about it. I had a pretty good anniversary meal there with my wife a few years back.

I really love isle of palms. Its one of my favorite beaches.

Trying to come up with something original... there's a little italian restaurant... looks like someonealready said it - Bocci's. My sister told me about it. I had a pretty good anniversary meal there with my wife a few years back.

Ironically, that’s where the wife and I ate over the 4th. We hadn’t planned on going into downtown Charleston but felt obligated. We must have walked around looking for a place to eat (other than the usual tourist hot-spots)) for a couple hours before stumbling across Bocci’s. The thought of eating Italian in Charleston never crossed our minds but talk about hitting the spot. Great atmosphere, wine and food. And unlike some of the other spots, it wasn’t a bank buster.

As for Metro’s comment, I’ll admit that The Wreck can be a bit uncomfortable if it’s really hot. But we planned our dinner for later in the evening just as the sun was setting. Great view watching it set over the channel while enjoying some superb food. Love the pre-meal boiled peanuts as well.

Just walk and drink and hit lots of bars and restaurants- and don’t drive.

Charleston is my and the wife’s favorite place as well. We’ll be in Kiawah in September and I can’t wait. We enjoy going to Charleston Crab House for seafood. (There are several locations in the Charleston area.) We have also dined on Shem Creek, and that was great as well. Carriage tours are a must, and Patriots Point can be fun as others have stated. One of the carriage tour companies have a package where you can get a carriage tour and harbor tour for one price. (I think the red sash tour company does it.) If your girlfriend is big into houses and gardens, there are several restored plantations in the area that are open for visitors. We’ve stayed at IoP, Mt. Pleasant, Folly Beach, and Kiawah in the past, and have enjoyed them all. We like Kiawah the best, but it is the most expensive, and furthest away from Charleston. Folly Beach is the place where the locals go to surf.

Get to Folly Beach EARLY!

Look out for the ghosts. LOL.

The Yorktown & other US Navy ships are cool.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;422319]I would vote for The Wreck over Hymans.

Seriously, if the place doesn’t even have to put a sign up you know it must be good.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/210/the-wreck[/QUOTE]

Amen. I lived in Charleston for 3 years. Hyman’s was where all the tourists went and I’ve always found the food and service to be inconsistent. The Wreck rocks. The Boat House has probably been the most acclaimed seafood spot in recent years.

Slightly North of Broad is also a great spot to eat in addition to Vickery’s for breakfast or a beer at anytime.

Great bar is on Broad St. The Blind Tiger. Has been named one of the best bars in the country.

The Yorktown is great for kids and dads but never met too many women who liked it. Palmetto Island County Park in Mt. Pleasant is a great spot to hike.

I am a big fan of Sullivan’s Island and Isle of Palms myself. The beaches are very wide so low tide is just awesome. I went to Folly two times and found it more crowded than we liked. As far as seafood, Shem Creek is great. The last three times we were there we ate at Red’s Ice House and you can eat outside or in. Prices are reasonable. The place looks like a piece of crap and you get to it through an alley. I just missed drivin n cryin playing there by a week at Red’s.

Like it was mentioned above, Patriot’s Point is fantastic and you can just spend hours there. I enjoyed the haunted jail tour, too.

Have fun, it’s great!

bump

For lunch, I highly recommend [B]Jestine’s Kitchen[/B]… the fried chiken kicks arse!!! It is just up Meeting street from the market, so if you are walking, this might be a good option.

Here is a pretty good link with location, picture of the front, reviews, testimonials, etc.
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=346

My wife and I just got a gift card to B&B’S.COM and were thinking of going to Charleston.We’ve been there before and love it,but always stayed at a Hotel/Motel…Anyone by any chance know of or can recommend any real good B&B’S? Price is not my major concern.Looking for something romantic and convenient…Thanks