To me, the future looks very bright!

who is better: Phil Jones or Martin Iti? I think Iti was statistically

Iti was never as terrible as this board made him out to be. He just fell way short of expectations.

Iti was never as terrible as this board made him out to be. He just fell way short of expectations.[/quote]
One of my favorite Facebook groups of all time was “Martin Iti is a midget trapped in a seven-footer’s body.”

Look at all the ops other posts. Either Major, a friend or family member, or an asst coach. Things might be okay down the road but what I witnessed coaching wise thurs night scares me. Evic = anjuan. Prospects do not equal game changing players unless they actually do it. I hope major can recruit and develop because I’m not sold that he can coach.

Things are either going to be good in 2-3 years or we will have been treading water / backpeddling. I’m not sold on either yet. My only comment is that after listening to major coach in person thurs, I am less hopeful than I was before.

P.s. - I’m not gonna check stats, but iti never looked as good on the court as phil does.

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:24, topic:24380”][font=verdana][size=78%]Look at all the ops other posts. Either Major, a friend or family member, or an asst coach. Things might be okay down the road but what I witnessed coaching wise thurs night scares me. Evic = anjuan. Prospects do not equal game changing players unless they actually do it. I hope major can recruit and develop because I’m not sold that he can coach. [/size][/font]

[font=verdana][size=78%]Things are either going to be good in 2-3 years or we will have been treading water / backpeddling. I’m not sold on either yet. My only comment is that after listening to major coach in person thurs, I am less hopeful than I was before.[/size][/font][/quote]

[font=verdana]I get a feeling this is the general [/font][font=verdana][size=12px]consensus [/size][/font][font=verdana] after coming back from Charleston.[/font]

Iti was never as terrible as this board made him out to be. He just fell way short of expectations.[/quote]

No No, he stunk.

Typical seven footer who thought he was good just because he was tall. Between the travles and the missed dunks …

He was horrible.

No No, he stunk.

Typical seven footer who thought he was good just because he was tall. Between the travles and the missed dunks …

He was horrible.[/quote]

Basden05, I don’t know how you do it man. You are hardcore.

Our lone Aussie fan, still reads and posts on the message board even when we lose to G-W and CCU and play like ass.

If this guy can do it…there is hope for our fanbase. We are not in the best place right now, but this kind of thing gives me hope for the future…despite ourselves.

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:24, topic:24380”]Look at all the ops other posts. Either Major, a friend or family member, or an asst coach. Things might be okay down the road but what I witnessed coaching wise thurs night scares me. Evic = anjuan. Prospects do not equal game changing players unless they actually do it. I hope major can recruit and develop because I’m not sold that he can coach.

Things are either going to be good in 2-3 years or we will have been treading water / backpeddling. I’m not sold on either yet. My only comment is that after listening to major coach in person thurs, I am less hopeful than I was before.[/quote]

How can you say that? I was at the same game, in person, and from what I saw, our players were confused on offense, and just flat out sucked on defense for the most part (with the exception of Phil). We played better in the Friday and Sunday games, but there were still plenty of flaws. You can’t run a pick and roll offense when the screens being set are so soft that they don’t impede the defender’s movement. That’s not on the coach, that’s on the player. This is college basketball, you should know how to run a pick and roll.

Ultimately it is up to the players to run the sets, and run them to perfection. From what I saw, the plays were being run half-assed and defense was being played half-assed by some guys (won’t throw names out there). The defensive part is going to take a group effort or otherwise we are always going to be bad.

And please, don’t say a recruit = a player, because first off I’m guessing you’ve never saw E Vic play in person and even if you are going by what you’ve read you are completely off base, since I know for a fact Anjuan couldn’t run the point. Major & Co. are bringing in 3 talented guys next year, who have the ability to be very good players by the time they are done here. Anjuan has played his ass off for the Niners too, so that cheapshot was uncalled for. Unfortunately he’s had injury after injury which dampened his career.

Coach Major and his staff have ZERO guys on this team that are currently eligible to play that they recruited. ZERO. It’s going to take time to settle in. New Coach = Growing Pains. Step away from the ledge and give the man a chance to do his work here.

[quote=“Ninerballin, post:29, topic:24380”][quote=“Ninercentral, post:24, topic:24380”]Look at all the ops other posts. Either Major, a friend or family member, or an asst coach. Things might be okay down the road but what I witnessed coaching wise thurs night scares me. Evic = anjuan. Prospects do not equal game changing players unless they actually do it. I hope major can recruit and develop because I’m not sold that he can coach.

Things are either going to be good in 2-3 years or we will have been treading water / backpeddling. I’m not sold on either yet. My only comment is that after listening to major coach in person thurs, I am less hopeful than I was before.[/quote]

How can you say that? I was at the same game, in person, and from what I saw, our players were confused on offense, and just flat out sucked on defense for the most part (with the exception of Phil). We played better in the Friday and Sunday games, but there were still plenty of flaws. You can’t run a pick and roll offense when the screens being set are so soft that they don’t impede the defender’s movement. That’s not on the coach, that’s on the player. This is college basketball, you should know how to run a pick and roll.

Ultimately it is up to the players to run the sets, and run them to perfection. From what I saw, the plays were being run half-assed and defense was being played half-assed by some guys (won’t throw names out there). The defensive part is going to take a group effort or otherwise we are always going to be bad.

And please, don’t say a recruit = a player, because first off I’m guessing you’ve never saw E Vic play in person and even if you are going by what you’ve read you are completely off base, since I know for a fact Anjuan couldn’t run the point. Major & Co. are bringing in 3 talented guys next year, who have the ability to be very good players by the time they are done here. Anjuan has played his ass off for the Niners too, so that cheapshot was uncalled for. Unfortunately he’s had injury after injury which dampened his career.

Coach Major and his staff have ZERO guys on this team that are currently eligible to play that they recruited. ZERO. It’s going to take time to settle in. New Coach = Growing Pains. Step away from the ledge and give the man a chance to do his work here.[/quote]
Bravo sir

[quote=“dmastinsc, post:1, topic:24380”]For all those with a “the program is dead” perspective following our rough start, here are a couple things to consider.

1. Major took over a team that is not very athletic. Major’s style of play, modeled after Thad Matta’s, needs athletes that can be molded into good college basketball players but Lutz never recruited players who could run and jump with the best of them. Anyone who saw the game today could tell that Coastal Carolina’s players were more athletic at nearly every position. The 2-guard was the only place we had the advantage athletically, but their guy made up for it in hustle and scrappiness. Think about our best players:

[ul][li]Spears: He’s our best player, but he’s hardly what you would call athletic. He can shoot and use his size to back someone down, but he can be out-ran and out-jumped by most of the players he matches up with.[/li]
[li]Green: Probably our most athletic player, he’s still not someone who will out-run or out-jump many opposing players or be able to finish fast breaks by going over or by anyone. He’s doing more trying to get to the rim but as we saw against George Mason, any reasonably quick defender can stay in front of him.[/li]
[li]Braswell: Most people would say this guy has as much promise as anyone on the team, except for perhaps Briscoe, and hes actually the least athletic guy in our rotation. He gets sat for Jones a lot already and I think we’ll see even more of it as the season goes. He runs the floor very slowly, and a few times today, I saw his guy beat him down the floor making a guard pick up his man and allow an easy basket or have to commit the foul.[/li]
[li]Briscoe: This guy is good, and IMO, the jury is out until he can improve his ball handling skills and is allowed to push the ball and start creating on his own.[/li][/ul]

The Bright Side: With the addition of Mayfield from Georgia and from what the scouting reports say about the guys Major has signed for his first recruiting class, our athleticism will jump (pun intended) dramatically next season. For now, Major wants to play high pressure man-to-man defense and will keep doing his best to get our guys to run his system, for better or for worse. I’m okay with that.

1. Major inherited a very thin team…and then there were injuries…and then there was the NCAA. We all know the obstacles we face with our depth due to guys transferring, graduating early, guys out to injury, and the NCAA not being able to make a decision. Everyone we play this season will push the ball any chance they get and force us to run and run and run some more. Our guys had dead legs at the end of the Coastal Carolina game and was evidenced in the amount of free throws they got down the stretch. They would drive the ball, our guy couldn’t keep up and fouled instead. Add to that Lewis is getting a considerable amount of playing time for a walk-on. It doesn’t matter who we play…their scholarship players are going to be better than our walk-ons.

The Bright Side: Time will pass, and so too will injuries and NCAA red tape. By conference play we’ll have at least 2, if not 3 additional players for the rotation. By next season we’ll forget how thin we once were.

All things take time. Major has spent years studying a system he believes strongly in, and we can all agree works with the right players (OSU has been one of the best teams in the country the last few years). He will coach and teach and coach and teach and over time we’ll add the players he needs to do it successfully. For anyone not familiar with his first recruiting class, insiders grade it as one of the best of any non-BCS conference teams.

Am I disappointed in our start? Absolutely, but the sky is overcast - not falling.[/quote]

Agreed - there is more upside over the next couple of years and that’s what I am excited about. This year may be tough but we needed a change and made it - now we just need to let it develop. Of course I’m upset with the win/loss record and the effort I’ve seen but these guys need to buy in and execute or it’s going to be a LONG season!

[quote=“dmastinsc, post:1, topic:24380”]For all those with a “the program is dead” perspective following our rough start, here are a couple things to consider.

1. Major took over a team that is not very athletic. Major’s style of play, modeled after Thad Matta’s, needs athletes that can be molded into good college basketball players but Lutz never recruited players who could run and jump with the best of them. Anyone who saw the game today could tell that Coastal Carolina’s players were more athletic at nearly every position. The 2-guard was the only place we had the advantage athletically, but their guy made up for it in hustle and scrappiness. Think about our best players:

[ul] [li]Spears: He’s our best player, but he’s hardly what you would call athletic. He can shoot and use his size to back someone down, but he can be out-ran and out-jumped by most of the players he matches up with.[/li]
[li]Green: Probably our most athletic player, he’s still not someone who will out-run or out-jump many opposing players or be able to finish fast breaks by going over or by anyone. He’s doing more trying to get to the rim but as we saw against George Mason, any reasonably quick defender can stay in front of him.[/li]
[li]Braswell: Most people would say this guy has as much promise as anyone on the team, except for perhaps Briscoe, and hes actually the least athletic guy in our rotation. He gets sat for Jones a lot already and I think we’ll see even more of it as the season goes. He runs the floor very slowly, and a few times today, I saw his guy beat him down the floor making a guard pick up his man and allow an easy basket or have to commit the foul.[/li]
[li]Briscoe: This guy is good, and IMO, the jury is out until he can improve his ball handling skills and is allowed to push the ball and start creating on his own.[/li][/ul]

The Bright Side: With the addition of Mayfield from Georgia and from what the scouting reports say about the guys Major has signed for his first recruiting class, our athleticism will jump (pun intended) dramatically next season. For now, Major wants to play high pressure man-to-man defense and will keep doing his best to get our guys to run his system, for better or for worse. I’m okay with that.

1. Major inherited a very thin team…and then there were injuries…and then there was the NCAA. We all know the obstacles we face with our depth due to guys transferring, graduating early, guys out to injury, and the NCAA not being able to make a decision. Everyone we play this season will push the ball any chance they get and force us to run and run and run some more. Our guys had dead legs at the end of the Coastal Carolina game and was evidenced in the amount of free throws they got down the stretch. They would drive the ball, our guy couldn’t keep up and fouled instead. Add to that Lewis is getting a considerable amount of playing time for a walk-on. It doesn’t matter who we play…their scholarship players are going to be better than our walk-ons.

The Bright Side: Time will pass, and so too will injuries and NCAA red tape. By conference play we’ll have at least 2, if not 3 additional players for the rotation. By next season we’ll forget how thin we once were.

All things take time. Major has spent years studying a system he believes strongly in, and we can all agree works with the right players (OSU has been one of the best teams in the country the last few years). He will coach and teach and coach and teach and over time we’ll add the players he needs to do it successfully. For anyone not familiar with his first recruiting class, insiders grade it as one of the best of any non-BCS conference teams.

Am I disappointed in our start? Absolutely, but the sky is overcast - not falling.[/quote]Dmas don’t pay any attention to some of these people. They’re just upset with themselves because they continued supporting Bobby, even though some of us were trying to warn them Lutz was running the basketball program into the ground. Some of the ones screaming the loudest were Lutz’ biggest supporters. Most of them will be okay once we win a couple of games. And some will feel better once their doctor gets their prescription meds tweaked just right. Always remember - fans are fanatics.

This team with players that are “not athletic” according to many on this forum won 18 games early last season before falling apart. This years losses may be due to lack of effort, lack of motivation, lack of depth due to injuries, or maybe lack of coaching (yet to be seen), but it certainly is not due to lack of talent on this team!

Seth Davis thinks we have a “great” frontcourt

http://m.si.com/news/archive/archive/detail/2418688/full;jsessionid=AFBB24943D685F030A356C3D65A80B5E.cnnsi2

CHARLOTTE: They have a great frontcourt. They're old school in that they're a low-post offensive team. They have a shooter in Derrio Green who can shoot them in or out of games. My question with them would be, if they run into a team that is as big and strong as they are, will they answer every time they get punched? Shamari Spears is a transfer, Green is a juco transfer and Chris Braswell is a freshman, so it's not like they've been there, done that. Spears is their best player. You have to play him with a bigger player and make him be a jump shooter. If he can drop his shoulder and go through your chest, you'll have a long night ahead of you. But against a bigger player he will turn and shoot fadeaway jumpers, which will take him out of position for rebounds. They've made more free throws than their opponents have attempted, so you have to try and keep them off the line.

Things looked bright in Nagasaki back in 45

it seems that as of right now we have one side that is blaming the players “not athletic, injured, not enough basketball IQ, etc.” and then another side that is blaming the coaches “no HC experience, isn’t coaching them up, etc.” Truth is our current situation is both of their faults - losing to teh teams we have means that no one gets a pass.

And now Japan is one of the most powerful countries in the world. We had our slow ticking atomic bomb go off, now we have major to repair the damage.

Does no one remember the teams we beat last year? We talked all year about how shitty the schedule turned out. Our wins were as follows…

UNCA - RPI 211
Elon - 272
Yale - 267
Hofstra- 153
ECU- 227
Lville- 43
WSSU- 294
GW- 317
Wintrop- 182
Mercer - 210
St Bonnies- 149
St Louis -79
Richmond-25
LaSalle- 171
Temple - 9
Umass- 177
GW-159
Fordham- 297
St Joes - 176

Of those wins, we struggled against UNCA, needing 21 pts from Shamar Bowden to pull it out. The Wintrop game was unwatchable. Needed an Anjuan buzzerbeater against LaSalle. Struggled against Fordham, ect ect. It was very clear early into last season that this team had issues yet we continued to win simply because we were playing awful teams. Then, the wheels fell off and this team just quit. Nothing about last year made me confident about this year, and anyone who thought otherwise was fooling themselves imo.

[quote=“casstommy, post:38, topic:24380”]Does no one remember the teams we beat last year? We talked all year about how shitty the schedule turned out. Our wins were as follows…

UNCA - RPI 211
Elon - 272
Yale - 267
Hofstra- 153
ECU- 227
Lville- 43
WSSU- 294
GW- 317
Wintrop- 182
Mercer - 210
St Bonnies- 149
St Louis -79
Richmond-25
LaSalle- 171
Temple - 9
Umass- 177
GW-159
Fordham- 297
St Joes - 176

Of those wins, we struggled against UNCA, needing 21 pts from Shamar Bowden to pull it out. The Wintrop game was unwatchable. Needed an Anjuan buzzerbeater against LaSalle. Struggled against Fordham, ect ect. It was very clear early into last season that this team had issues yet we continued to win simply because we were playing awful teams. Then, the wheels fell off and this team just quit. Nothing about last year made me confident about this year, and anyone who thought otherwise was fooling themselves imo.[/quote]

Wow. I had forgotten how bad our schedule was last year.

We’re not good.