To the Bobcats haters...

And I know there are a ton of you out there… What do you have against the team??

The Bobcats are the complete opposite of everything that is wrong with the NBA. They hustle their asses off, play with heart and passion, they play very effective and intense defense, they have guys that can hit jumpers, they hate losing…

And if it isn’t the actual team you don’t like, then what is it?

Ticket prices? I hear a lot of people complain about ticket prices. Take a look at the prices of every other team in the NBA, then try and tell me Bobcats tickets are expensive.

Management? Yeah Bob Johnson didn’t get off to a smooth start, but I would say the front office decisions in the past year or two have been really good. Bringing in Jason Richardson and Nazr Mohammed completely changed this team.

Or maybe you’re just a “good ol’ boy” that doesn’t like that fact that the owner of BET brought in a new NBA team.

What is it guys? I’m curious to know.

And I know there are a ton of you out there.. What do you have against the team??

The Bobcats are the complete opposite of everything that is wrong with the NBA. They hustle their asses off, play with heart and passion, they play very effective and intense defense, they have guys that can hit jumpers, they hate losing…

And if it isn’t the actual team you don’t like, then what is it?

Ticket prices? I hear a lot of people complain about ticket prices. Take a look at the prices of every other team in the NBA, then try and tell me Bobcats tickets are expensive.

Management? Yeah Bob Johnson didn’t get off to a smooth start, but I would say the front office decisions in the past year or two have been really good. Bringing in Jason Richardson and Nazr Mohammed completely changed this team.

Or maybe you’re just a “good ol’ boy” that doesn’t like that fact that the owner of BET brought in a new NBA team.

What is it guys? I’m curious to know.

Bob Johnson owns BET?

I think the main complaint is against the NBA in general. It is quite boring and one can argue the game they play can barely be considered basketball. They also show way too much favortish toward the “star” players.

[QUOTE=Chipper;284343]I think the main complaint is against the NBA in general. It is quite boring and one can argue the game they play can barely be considered basketball. They also show way too much favortish toward the “star” players.[/QUOTE]

The favoritism exisits in ALL SPORTS, but the other comments, like I mentioned in another thread are unfounded.

I’m sure a 119-116 NBA game with one of the top 50 players of all time is much more boring than a 45-20 A-10 game…

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;284347]The favoritism exisits in ALL SPORTS, but the other comments, like I mentioned in another thread are unfounded.

I’m sure a 119-116 NBA game with one of the top 50 players of all time is much more boring than a 45-20 A-10 game…[/QUOTE]

It is to me.

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;284342]Bob Johnson owns BET?[/QUOTE]

I think he was the founder of BET and he sold it.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;284349]It is to me.[/QUOTE] Me too. And you can’t use scoring for a comparison because the NBA games last longer and the shot clock is way too short.

I thought the Mohammad trade was awful when they made it, I always read that he had a terrible contract… That’s what happens when you believe what you read. He is a soild big man, I’d love for Phil Jones to have his hands.

...and one can argue the game they play can barely be considered basketball..

See this is the point I’m trying to get across. They Bobcats DON’T play like most of the other NBA teams. They run really good half court sets, have great ball movement, and play really good defense. It’s not the sloppy mess that you see from a lot of other NBA teams, but so many Charlotteans are too stubborn to open their eyes and give them a chance.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;284354]See this is the point I’m trying to get across. They Bobcats DON’T play like most of the other NBA teams. They run really good half court sets, have great ball movement, and play really good defense. It’s not the sloppy mess that you see from a lot of other NBA teams, but so many Charlotteans are too stubborn to open their eyes and give them a chance.[/QUOTE]
You probably do have a valid point. I was stating the NBA is the problem instead of the Bobcats themselves.

I hate the Bobcats because I hate professional basketball. I loved the Hornets as a kid, and when they left Charlotte, I feel like the Bobcats were just thrown together to try and replace our franchise. I’m sorry, but the “Hornet” name belongs to Charlotte. That’s neither here nor there, but this guy comes in and builds a team for a city, yet names it after himself. When I think of a bobcat, I think of a mountain lion, minus the badass factor that mountain lions have. Bobcats have nothing to do with Charlotte, other than the fact that Bob Johnson owns the team. Also, why did Mr. Johnson dress Flavor-Flav in a orange cat suit? If the name isn’t a joke enough, then rufus lynx (see what I mean? Bobcat isn’t cool enough so they made the mascot a much cooler wild cat.) comes out like lil jon with pointy ears. The combination of all these things is just, to me, a joke.

I also just don’t like pro ball. It’s all about me me me me me. I follow the Celtics, but that’s about it. I follow the Celtics because they actually have a history and actually have an atmosphere in their house, and say what you will about KG, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, all of them… when you put on a Celtics jersey… the name on your back just starts to seem a little bit less important.

So, as I’ve said before… the Bobcats are nothing but a way for me to see the Celtics play without going to Boston. Now, when can we get the Charlotte (insert lame name here) playing in the AL East?

[QUOTE=Chisox17;284354]See this is the point I’m trying to get across. They Bobcats DON’T play like most of the other NBA teams. They run really good half court sets, have great ball movement, and play really good defense. It’s not the sloppy mess that you see from a lot of other NBA teams, but so many Charlotteans are too stubborn to open their eyes and give them a chance.[/QUOTE]

Any good NBA team plays good basketball. It is the bad teams that play uninspired, unfundamental basketball.

The Pistons probably play better “basketball” than any team college or pro. Most NBA teams reverse the ball EVERY SINGLE TIME the ball is around the perimeter, while in college you see the guy at the top of the key take the shot.

Watch some of these pro’s use a screen on the baseline, like Richard Hamilton or Ray Allen, that in fundamental basketball. Watch Tim Duncan’s footwork or Brandon Roy’s mid-range game. Watch Steve Nash’s vision, watch Deron Williams run the pick and roll, watch the Celtics defensive rotation… I could go on…If you actually watch the games instead of the highlights on sportcenter you would know that it is legit “basketball”.

My biggest beef with the NBA is the lack of good point guards, which is just like my problem with the NFL and its lack of good quarterbacks.

I love the Bobcats, and I think Scotty makes some valid points. But I, unlike others, don’t hate the NBA. I get annoyed with the lack of application of certain rules (mostly related to ball handling and walking), but it’s still basketball. You can say whatever you want, but if there’s an orange ball and a hoop, I’m gonna watch it. I’m also in the HUGE minority that follows the WNBA, though I don’t pretend to do so religiously. I catch the games I can and try to DVR all the games of my favorite team.

[QUOTE=thelew1014;284358] I’m sorry, but the “Hornet” name belongs to Charlotte. [/QUOTE]

I agree that the Hornet name should’ve stayed (similar to Browns in Cleveland), but I don’t see where Bob Johnson had much say in this matter. That was, according to my understanding, between Shinn and David Stern.

Should the NBA have forced the name to stay here? Probably, but I don’t know the details of that discussion.

FWIW, I’ve been told there are more Bobcats (the actual animal) in the state of NC than any other state in the country. Never been concerned enough about the name to verify if that is a legit claim.

The Pistons probably play better "basketball" than any team college or pro..

It took the Pistons overtime to beat us the other night.

I'm sorry, but the "Hornet" name belongs to Charlotte. That's neither here nor there, but this guy comes in and builds a team for a city, yet names it after himself. When I think of a bobcat, I think of a mountain lion, minus the badass factor that mountain lions have. Bobcats have nothing to do with Charlotte, other than the fact that Bob Johnson owns the team.

I’m pretty sure the city of Charlotte voted to use the name Bobcats, I think Wolverines was another option.

I don’t get how people can argue the “they have tradition” point, of course they have tradition they’ve been around 50 years longer. That’s like saying a 70 year old man has more experience than a 10 year old… well duh.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;284363] I’m also in the HUGE minority that follows the WNBA[/QUOTE]

There is the understatement of the week.

I’ll go to a few women’s basketball games at Halton Arena, but that’s enough for me.

In all honesty, I thought the WNBA had gone out of business.

Any good NBA team plays good basketball. It is the bad teams that play uninspired, unfundamental basketball.

The Pistons probably play better “basketball” than any team college or pro. Most NBA teams reverse the ball EVERY SINGLE TIME the ball is around the perimeter, while in college you see the guy at the top of the key take the shot.

Watch some of these pro’s use a screen on the baseline, like Richard Hamilton or Ray Allen, that in fundamental basketball. Watch Tim Duncan’s footwork or Brandon Roy’s mid-range game. Watch Steve Nash’s vision, watch Deron Williams run the pick and roll, watch the Celtics defensive rotation… I could go on…If you actually watch the games instead of the highlights on sportcenter you would know that it is legit “basketball”.

My biggest beef with the NBA is the lack of good point guards, which is just like my problem with the NFL and its lack of good quarterbacks.

Tim Duncan is always my argument when people say the NBA is nothing like real basketball. Nothing says pure basketball like watching him work in the post. The same could be said for Nash running a fast break, although that gets into highlight territory and people start to go back to their original point about the NBA being exclusively about highlights, so I stay away from that.

There is the understatement of the week.

I’ll go to a few women’s basketball games at Halton Arena, but that’s enough for me.

In all honesty, I thought the WNBA had gone out of business.

How about if I change it to [SIZE=5]HUGE[/SIZE][SIZE=2]?[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=thelew1014;284358]

I also just don’t like pro ball. It’s all about me me me me me. I follow the Celtics, but that’s about it. I follow the Celtics because they actually have a history and actually have an atmosphere in their house, and say what you will about KG, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, all of them… when you put on a Celtics jersey… the name on your back just starts to seem a little bit less important.

[/QUOTE]

I’m sure the Celtics had a GREAT atmoshpere at their games last year when they were the bottom feeders of the NBA. They have great tradition, there is no doubt, but if you don’t win games in the NBA, no matter where you are, no one will care.

As far as the Bobcats, there are 3 major things that people will use against the Bobcats that they can’t control.

1. The Hornets leaving left a bad taste in the fans mouthes, and some people gave up on the NBA after that.

2. The Arena deal was not very popular, as many feel like they voted against it, and it was built anyway. If I remember correctly, the vote was agaisnt a new arena to be built for the Hornets. I could be wrong.

3. There is the good ole boy factor out there. It is sad to say that some folks won’t support this team because it has a black owner. People have even told me this, so I know this feeling is out there.

Personally, I was a Bobcats season ticket holder last year and I had a great time. It really gave me a new respect for the skill level in the league. I didn’t renew my tickets for personal reasons, but I will go to games from time to time, and I enjoy them.