To the Rutgers fans - a salute to Gary Waters

To all Rutgers fans, I hope you read this instead of the inevitable moaning and griping about how you didnt deserve to win that usually accompanies a loss.

Gary Waters is a very smart coach, and he flat out owns us. That is twice he has taken a slightly undermanned team into our building and showed us how to play.

We had one of the most whistle happy refs I’ve seen in quite some time. When Waters saw that, and saw how %&^$& awful we shoot FTs, he simply stretched out our defense and let his guys take us one on one. They got the call every single time and then hit their free throws. All but one. On the other end, he guarded the hell out of us, figuring that giving up his fouls didnt hurt much because the other team is shooting 33% from the line. Yeah, 33%. Not 10 for 26. that doesn’t include the back end of missed one & ones. It was more like 10 for 30 or more.

Rutgers basicly beat us in a Free Throw contest, and I’m sick about it. I walked out of the arena hanging my head in shame. It is just brutal to be a Niners fan and put up with the same garbage every year.

And to my fellow Niner fans, in all due sincerity, please, for the sake of my sanity, can the top 25 talk until the mythical day that we actually have a real point guard. Our half court offense is as ugly as any I’ve ever seen. We rely on our 3 & our 4 to create anything, and our poor 2 has guys hanging off of him, shoving him, and generally making life miserable for him because we cant set a screen to save our lives.

PG penetration, setting good screens, free throws. Someone tell me what year it is, 'cause it feels like it’s the same season, over and over and over.

And don’t get me started about lacking the killer instinct to finish another team off in the first half after we’ve built a 17 point lead. We let them back in the game in the first half and they had ALL the momentum in the second half.

Where’s a cliff, or at least a nice tall bridge… :frowning: :ph34r:

What he said.

If you guys ever get tired of him, call me. I’ll take him.

His guys find a way to make free throws.

Agree 100%. We were outcoached, outplayed and showed NO evidence whatsoever of being able to make a free throw. Though we should have put them away when we were up big, this game was lost primarily on the free throw line. Unless we get over that fundamental hurdle, teams will continue to play physical with us in hopes of forcing the refs to start blowing whistles. And if it comes down to a free throw shooting contest, we’re going to find ourselves on the short end of the stick more often than not.

Very sickening feeling in my stomach on the drive home tonight and I agree that it feels a whole lot like last year and the year before and the year before…

Not going to get any easier on Saturday. Hopefully Bobby has the guys shooting free throws until the sun comes up. No sense in missing that many.

Congrats Rutgers fans…you were the better team tonight.

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

We were outplayed in the second half, plain and simple. We didn’t hit shots and we are still one of the worst free throw shooting teams I’ve ever seen. It is inexcusable for us to be so bad from the line.

For those of us who were skeptical of our PG situation, those who weren’t can now see why. Mitch disappeared tonight. The drive he did the at the end of the game should have been what he was doing all night. The knock on him has never been his talent, it’s been that he doesn’t always show up. He didn’t show up tonight. He better on Saturday b/c we need him to win.

Curt struggled tonight but finally got going late.

Eddie played great minus his FT shooting.

Plav took some stupid shots tonight but unlike some others I think he did an OK job on defense. He was outmatched when on Doubby but he hustled all night.

Drayton was no help.

Iti played well at times but not great.

FT shooting killed us. Rutgers wanted it more. They earned it but we gave them some help.

Guys this is nothing new for us. GW last year, Colorado and La Laf the year before etc. Every year we drop a game we have no business dropping and most years we rebound. Don’t write off the season after this game.

if we lose before indiana were done. hate to say it but it’s true.

NA, I agree with most of your post, especially the top 25 talk.
But after cooling down and thinking about it a little, I am not so sure that we were outcoached. Yes they changed strategy and it worked but we also continued to play hard and get to the line. If we simply shoot an average of 65-70% from the line, we win easily. The coach can not shoot the free throws.

[i]Originally posted by BigTimeNiner[/i]@Nov 23 2004, 01:11 AM [b] NA, I agree with most of your post, especially the top 25 talk. But after cooling down and thinking about it a little, I am not so sure that we were outcoached. Yes they changed strategy and it worked but we also continued to play hard and get to the line. If we simply shoot an average of 65-70% from the line, we win easily. The coach can not shoot the free throws. [/b]
do me a favor and read showdawgs offense post and tell me if you still disagree?

Don’t you guys know that the coach has 29 differant defenses? Lets hope #30 is the one that works.

[i]Originally posted by BigTimeNiner[/i]@Nov 23 2004, 01:11 AM [b] we also continued to play hard and get to the line.

[/b]

They should have played smart and stayed away from the line.

A-f******-men - our goal should not be to get the free throw line, since we can hit the broad side of a barn.

Besides the obvious free throw problem we need to use more zone defense or maybe just stick to our man better. Rutgers didn’t beat us with variety, they kicked it to the corner for a wide open three several times, while the only wide open threes for us were the 2 eddie had before the half. Also they would come in and drive at Iti then dish it off to a man behind him for a dunk/ layup, must have happened 4-5 times in the 2nd half. Why was Drayton only chucking threes in the 2nd half? It seems when things get tight we still love to rain threes.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Nov 22 2004, 10:30 PM [b] And don't get me started about lacking the killer instinct to finish another team off in the first half after we've built a 17 point lead. We let them back in the game in the first half and they had ALL the momentum in the second half. [/b]
I remember looking at the scoreboard with just under 5 minutes to go in the first half and thinking we were going to get to least 50 points by halftime and even told my son that we were the same pace we had set Friday versus LBSU. From that point, we scored 2 more points in the half. Basically, we played well the first 16 minutes of the game and then let Rutgers have the last 24. Geez! :ticked:

I was wrong about the score - it was 39-24 at that point, not 39-22.

But here’s a telling stat from the game:

In the first 12:15 or so, we scored 39 points. In the remaining 27:45, we scored 32. FT shooting and the up and down, whistle happy tempo were the cause.

We will NEVER win this latter type of game. We should do everything we can to avoid them.