Today's Observer

I’ve normally backed the Observer and Mike but today’s coverage, or lack thereof, is nothing shy of pathetic. I realize there are a couple NFL playoff games tonight and a lot of regional college basketball being played. But with that said, to only have a tiny capsule on tonight’s matchup with Xavier is ridiculous. The little “Inside the A-10” piece was nice but this is a huge game for the Niners tonight against a great program. Too bad the casual sports fan in this area will have no clue about it unless they comb the sports section as if they were looking for DNA traces.

Highly disappointed with no gameday story. Way to promote the home team, Observer. The Tyler Hansbrough story was fascinating though. :tired: :rolleyes:

jcl, do you not know there’s a law against plagerism? :smile:

Your post looks almost word for word like a “few posts” I’ve made in the past.

I don’t really care about the Tyler story…whatever. But my biggest issue is simply that the non-Niner, casual basketball fan has no clue that there is a big game on campus tonight. Both teams tonight may not be ranked, nor undefeated, but it’s a huge game. Just a shame that we only got a few sentences in today’s hometown paper.

I can’t defend them on this one.

What else is new? After all, they have to live up to their reputation “hometown” paper. As I always said " the disturber sux the big fat [SIZE=6][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]GREEN[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] weenie".:happy:

I think the Observer’s “home” team is tarheel blue.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;148614]
…But my biggest issue is simply that the non-Niner, casual basketball fan has no clue that there is a big game on campus tonight.
[/QUOTE]

That’s been exactly my point for all these years.

It’s always ok for the Observer to tell the city of Charlotte that so-and-so is playing in Timbucktu, but they have always seemed adamantly opposed to informing residents of Charlotte about big events taking place in their own city.

I sincerely “think” the chapel hill based Observer is afraid of the Niners increasing fan support.

Sadly, there are probably some kids in town who would love to attend some big time basketball games. They are the ones losing out, and all because the Observer insists on encouraging Charlotte residents to stay at home and watch “other stuff” on TV.

If I weren’t a Niner fan but loved college basketball, this would be a great game for me to watch, without a dog in the fight. However, if I didn’t attend/graduate from UNC Charlotte or frequent this board, I wouldn’t even really know what’s taking place tonight. Yes, the blame partly falls on our marketing department but the Observer has a ton of power in terms of reaching a huge non-Niner audience.

Oh well…it’s the ol’ dead horse thing here. I’m just glad I’m a fan so I actually know there’s a big game on campus tonight.

Here comes Mike with a . . . song !

Huge game, no coverage, no surprise. No matter who we are playing, the other team’s hometown newspaper always has better coverage than the Observer does… especially before the games.

Mike can make all the excuses he wants to, but his sports page is one of the worst in the country for a city this size… and I’m not just talking about Niner basketball.

I agree, today was shit.

Don’t forget, the Observer is cutting out 20% of its paper, so naturally local things like 49ers basketball can’t be a high priority. They are a “regional” newspaper after all.

Wow, that sounds like a load of $hit.

Don't forget, the Observer is cutting out 20% of its paper, so naturally local things like 49ers basketball can't be a high priority. They are a "regional" newspaper after all.

Wow, that sounds like a load of $hit.

Nah, you just cut through the BS and saved Mike a couple minutes of his time from not having to explain things again.

[QUOTE=Max Power;148632]
Huge game, no coverage, no surprise. No matter who we are playing, the other team’s hometown newspaper always has better coverage than the Observer does… especially before the games.
[/QUOTE]

No surprise at all.

There is no excuse in this. Any excuse given is a bunch of BS.

I remember some Cincinnati fans being completely stunned a few years ago when they came into town for a “big game” and saw no mention of the game.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;148629]If I weren’t a Niner fan but loved college basketball, this would be a great game for me to watch, without a dog in the fight. However, if I didn’t attend/graduate from UNC Charlotte or frequent this board, I wouldn’t even really know what’s taking place tonight. Yes, the blame partly falls on our marketing department but the Observer has a ton of power in terms of reaching a huge non-Niner audience.

Oh well…it’s the ol’ dead horse thing here. I’m just glad I’m a fan so I actually know there’s a big game on campus tonight.[/QUOTE]

You think Niners coverage is unfair? Trying running a 3rd party campaign for mayor.

The Observer sucks, on MULTIPLE levels.

Pathetic is right. I still can’t figure out who’s playing today based on the Inside the A-10 piece, or the ACC for that matter. Instead of breaking down each game, they do the elevator up or down. How about giving us some true analysis??? I was in Raleigh over Christmas and the N&O breaks down every game, even when it was just NCSU and App St.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;148637]No surprise at all.

There is no excuse in this. Any excuse given is a bunch of BS.

I remember some Cincinnati fans being completely stunned a few years ago when they came into town for a “big game” and saw no mention of the game.[/QUOTE]
Careful, you might get sued.

has anyone noticed the local newspaper never does anything to inform the public about our games? does anyone think they do not want the casual fan attending our games? i am sure it is obvious to most observers. has anyone ever wondered WHY?

they have never hesitated to forcefeed us the information on upcoming chapel hill and acc games. has anyone ever wondered WHY?

Folks

I’m not going to make it a habit to come on here and defend The Observer or bash it, to me such trading of jarbs does very little in improving a product or changing people’s minds. I seriously doubt anyone who reads or posts here would read something regarding any topic and completely reverse their opinion because they stumbled on some great “insight.”

With regards to today’s game, I will point out a couple things, some which are not new. They are not “excuses,” since they will not change anyone’s mind, but simply more like a state of things are they are today.

For one, you will be hard pressed to find what you would normally consider “game advances” for hardly any college game any more, including the ACC. No. 1 ranked Duke is playing at Clemson today, a game The Observer will staff, and other than Ken Tysiac’s comments in Inside the ACC, there is only a capsule. The Bobcats - a professional team - receive nearly the same treatment, though sometimes game coverage is blended into previews of what’s next. I think that is an approach we have tried at The Observer. On Tuesday, there was a A-10 notebook with a lead on the La Salle-Charlotte game. There was also an inside college basketball feature on the Thornton kid from Xavier and how they were playing Charlotte on Saturday - far more information on the opponent than would have appeared in any advance story in today’s paper.

Simply put, there are a 1000 ways for people to find out there is a game tonight, what The Observer tries to do is provide insight and analysis from its writers and give the reader a more broad-based look into what’s going on with all teams and in the conferences they play. It is not an easy job. Could the Inside the A-10 been dumped for a Niners-only advance story? Probably. Would it be worth the swap? I don’t think so. In this first season, not only do Charlotte fans want to know about their team, but also the 13 others they see on a regular basis they see didn’t before.

There are a lot of things coming up which I think 49ers fans will enjoy: insights, interviews and features on people and prospective players which you will enjoy (I hope).

Several years ago, one friend of mine from Raleigh told me he asked his sports editor about doing a game advance for a “big game.” His reply, “If it’s so big, don’t you think the school’s fans should know before the pick up the paper the day of the game?”

I’m not saying that philosophy is right or wrong. I am only saying there are different approaches employed because of the increased use of the Internet, multi-media and space considerations. And also remember this, everything everyone here would desire to see in The Observer for Charlotte because of its “local school connection” is just as deserving to Davidson. If you put those wish lists together, what else would fit in the Sports section?

Thanks. See you tonight.

Jim

Here are some nice stories from the Cincy Enquirer

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPT0102

No login required.

Sorry Jim. I would be more inclined to agree with you if I had not noticed another nice artricle PROMOTING the tarhole basketball program.

Other newspapers (including Knight Ridder owned papers) seem to always have articles on the upcoming games involving local teams. That policy you quoted is just a good EXCUSE for the Observer to not cover us.

I realize this is not necesarily your doing. Welcome to the board, and feel free to post all you want.