Top Colleges 2013: Best Values

Ranked 24th

I find it very hard to believe that there could be 487 colleges with better overall ranking than us. 487! Step it up Phil.

So App costs more than Charlotte and average starting and middle career salaries for Charlotte grads are far higher, yet it is a better value? Not sure how that math works.

How much ass does he have to kiss to get us ranked higher?

That would be because they ranked us higher OVERALL. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hate to be “that guy” but you guys have talked a whole lotta smack on here and I couldn’t resist. Hope to see a rivalry develop in the future in all honesty. Would be good for both schools and probably boost both of us in these ridiculous rankings.

Hate to be “that guy” but you guys have talked a whole lotta smack on here and I couldn’t resist. Hope to see a rivalry develop in the future in all honesty. Would be good for both schools and probably boost both of us in these ridiculous rankings.[/quote]

have fun in the sun belt.

“University of North Carolina, Charlotte”

sigh…

Hate to be “that guy” but you guys have talked a whole lotta smack on here and I couldn’t resist. Hope to see a rivalry develop in the future in all honesty. Would be good for both schools and probably boost both of us in these ridiculous rankings.[/quote]

have fun in the sun belt.[/quote]

What’s that? I can’t hear you over the sound of your overinflated ego suddenly losing air. I thought I was relatively classy compared to your fans on our board who aren’t even knowledgable. We should be relatively competitive in the Belt and it should actually be a solid football conference. To say that CUSA is better is a little premature at this point what with all the start-up programs they’re bringing in and either way I’m fine with being in a less prestigious football conference considering we’re more prestigious academically according to Forbes.

as far as the academics go, i think with the addition of football, you will see charlotte get significantly more difficult to get into. we were missing a major part of the college experience that we now have. when we talk academics between schools like charlotte, app. st., nc state, do you think employers care about which school is slightly tougher to get into? no. we are all in the same bunch. we are not talking about the difference between getting into charlotte vs. let’s say duke so let’s put that argument away because it is irrelevant.

Meanwhile, US News and World Report (USNWR), arguably more often referenced, doesn’t even rank the 2 in the same category. It considers App State a “regional university” and Charlotte a “national university”.

Charlotte
App State

Woohoo. Both serve different purposes, different interests, etc.

The truth of the matter is that rankings are nonsense. At one time I subscribed to their meaningfulness, but as I’ve aged and understood how the University actually works and how rankings actually work, I know better than to believe in them. They value research dollars, standardized test scores, entering HS GPA, retention rates, 4-year graduation rates, etc.

If I remember correctly, Chancellor Dubois said early in my years at Charlotte that he didn’t care anything about rankings. If that memory is correct, good for him. One example is the consideration of the 4-year graduation rate. I attended the last graduation ceremony for a family member. During the ceremony Chancellor Dubois asked everyone graduating to stand up. He then asked them to sit down in accordance to the number of years it had taken each of them to complete their degrees, starting with the lowest (1-4 years) and going up from there. The last person standing took forty years to graduate (not continuously enrolled). However, there were plenty who took 7, 8, 9 years to graduate. The takeaway was that despite circumstances (some had left for family, to provide, war, etc.) they finished and they should be proud. They are now educated, overcame hurdles and life challenges, and are now prepared to be even more productive in society. The applause in the room for those last few standing was astounding.

But USNWR doesn’t consider that. They want to know how many graduated in four.

So I ask you – what’s the point? Is it to be ranked, or to make something of people and to provide them a high level and quality of education. I believe both Charlotte and App are both serving the students.

[quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:10, topic:27992”]Meanwhile, US News and World Report (USNWR), arguably more often referenced, doesn’t even rank the 2 in the same category. It considers App State a “regional university” and Charlotte a “national university”.

Charlotte
App State

The truth of the matter is that rankings are nonsense. At one time I subscribed to their meaningfulness, but as I’ve aged and understood how the University actually works and how rankings actually work, I know better than to believe in them. They value research dollars, standardized test scores, entering HS GPA, retention rates, 4-year graduation rates, etc.

If I remember correctly, Chancellor Dubois said early in my years at Charlotte that he didn’t care anything about rankings. If that memory is correct, good for him. One example is the consideration of the 4-year graduation rate. I attended the last graduation ceremony for a family member. During the ceremony Chancellor Dubois asked everyone graduating to stand up. He then asked them to sit down in accordance to the number of years it had taken each of them to complete their degrees, starting with the lowest (1-4 years) and going up from there. The last person standing took forty years to graduate (not continuously enrolled). However, there were plenty who took 7, 8, 9 years to graduate. The takeaway was that despite circumstances (some had left for family, to provide, war, etc.) they finished and they should be proud. They are now educated, overcame hurdles and life challenges, and are now prepared to be even more productive in society. The applause in the room for those last few standing was astounding.

So I ask you – what’s the point? Is it to be ranked, or to make something of people and to provide them a high level and quality of education. I believe both Charlotte and App are both serving the students.[/quote]

US news actually ranked us in the top ten regional universities in the south. Woohoo indeed. Meanwhile you’re tied for last place with ECU in the national category. I’d say there’s more of a gulf between us according to US News than Forbes but I suppose everyone interprets it differently.

[quote=“Appasnatchin, post:11, topic:27992”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:10, topic:27992”]Meanwhile, US News and World Report (USNWR), arguably more often referenced, doesn’t even rank the 2 in the same category. It considers App State a “regional university” and Charlotte a “national university”.

Charlotte
App State

So I ask you – what’s the point? Is it to be ranked, or to make something of people and to provide them a high level and quality of education. I believe both Charlotte and App are both serving the students.[/quote]

US news actually ranked us in the top ten regional universities in the south. Woohoo indeed. Meanwhile you’re tied for last place with ECU in the national category. I’d say there’s more of a gulf between us according to US News than Forbes but I suppose everyone interprets it differently.[/quote]

Dude, the ROI from Charlotte is better than App. If you want to go to college and be a hippy and have faux-intellectual discussions and what not, then ROI may not matter.

That said, for most folks ROI is what college is all about. Few people go to college with the intention of not seeing a return on their investment, and the fact of the matter is that it is simply better at Charlotte.

For my money, you can factor in all the rankings in the world, but College Experience x ROI = Value of college.

FWIW, I graduated undergrad in 2006, we never had football, but we had some pretty damn good basketball teams in the meantime. I never experienced the phantom problems of nothing to do on the weekend, and I think I had a pretty awesome college experience sans football. My ROI is modified somewhat because I got a professional degree, but I can tell you that App was never on my radar.

I think it’s funny how we bicker about this stuff. At the end of the day, ROI is better at Charlotte, plain and simple. That’s why I went to college.

Well there are a few key points you’re leaving out of your ROI. Our bread and butter is our school of education and we are the largest producer of teachers in the state of NC. North Carolina obviously hates its teachers and as such pays them 10 to 15k less than the national average. I think that skews our average starting salary more than just a little bit.

[quote=“Appasnatchin, post:13, topic:27992”]Well there are a few key points you’re leaving out of your ROI. Our bread and butter is our school of education and we are the largest producer of teachers in the state of NC. North Carolina obviously hates its teachers and as such pays them 10 to 15k less than the national average. I think that skews our average starting salary more than just a little bit.[/quote]Charlotte produces the second most teachers in NC and I bet we are not far behind App in numbers, so I do not think that really impacts the ROI. Our Engineering, Architecture, and Computer Science programs significantly do though.

For the record, App seems okay to me, I like Boone, and my wife is a teacher that didn’t go to either of our schools.

And for the record my wife is a NC teacher as well with a science, not education degree… From Charlotte.

Actually quite a few schools are unranked. They only rank the top 200 national universities. Our good friends at Memphis, for instance, are unranked.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-memphis-3509

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:12, topic:27992”]Dude, the ROI from Charlotte is better than App. If you want to go to college and be a hippy and have faux-intellectual discussions and what not, then ROI may not matter.

That said, for most folks ROI is what college is all about. Few people go to college with the intention of not seeing a return on their investment, and the fact of the matter is that it is simply better at Charlotte.

For my money, you can factor in all the rankings in the world, but College Experience x ROI = Value of college.

FWIW, I graduated undergrad in 2006, we never had football, but we had some pretty damn good basketball teams in the meantime. I never experienced the phantom problems of nothing to do on the weekend, and I think I had a pretty awesome college experience sans football. My ROI is modified somewhat because I got a professional degree, but I can tell you that App was never on my radar.

I think it’s funny how we bicker about this stuff. At the end of the day, ROI is better at Charlotte, plain and simple. That’s why I went to college.[/quote]

Wait, you mean you don’t care about your high school GPA anymore?

clt says We R better.

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:12, topic:27992”]Dude, the ROI from Charlotte is better than App. If you want to go to college and be a hippy and have faux-intellectual discussions and what not, then ROI may not matter.

I think it’s funny how we bicker about this stuff. At the end of the day, ROI is better at Charlotte, plain and simple. That’s why I went to college.[/quote]

I think you are giving 18 year old’s way too much credit. The majority are not thinking ROI. They are thinking guy/girl ratios, who has the best dorm rooms, frats/sororities, and finally major. Maybe I was just different at that age. 8)

[quote=“Dowless, post:19, topic:27992”][quote=“Ninercentral, post:12, topic:27992”]Dude, the ROI from Charlotte is better than App. If you want to go to college and be a hippy and have faux-intellectual discussions and what not, then ROI may not matter.

I think you are giving 18 year old’s way too much credit. The majority are not thinking ROI. They are thinking guy/girl ratios, who has the best dorm rooms, frats/sororities, and finally major. Maybe I was just different at that age. 8)[/quote]
I bet their parents do though since they are ones probably paying for everything.