topic changed: USA basketball, a joke on the court

my new post:
USA basketball has been a joke this year…

my original post:
This is our freakin NATIONAL PASTIME!!! I cant believe the qualifying tournament wasnt double elimination. And whats up with the US’s region having 12 teams competing for two spots, and only three Asian countries competing for two. Doesnt seem too fair.

No USA baseball in the Olympics this year…

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Aug 13 2004, 09:04 PM [b] This is our freakin NATIONAL PASTIME!!! I cant believe the qualifying tournament wasnt double elimination. And whats up with the US's region having 12 teams competing for two spots, and only three Asian countries competing for two. Doesnt seem too fair.

No USA baseball in the Olympics this year… [/b]

Looks like no basketball team either. PR kicked their ass today. No 3 point shooters and FT shooting was bad too. D? Fuggetaboutit! Pathetic display of non-team b-ball. Yep! That’s the NBA and that’s who wears the USA in Athens. Makes me sick.

Amen to that! I’m betting they lose another game in the Olympics too.

If we can’t send the absolute best NBA players, go back to sending college kids who are excited about being there. Enthusiasm actually does go a long way in winning games.

On the other hand, good work with that clipboard, Roy Williams!

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 09:14 PM [b] Amen to that! I'm betting they lose another game in the Olympics too.

If we can’t send the absolute best NBA players, go back to sending college kids who are excited about being there. Enthusiasm actually does go a long way in winning games.

On the other hand, good work with that clipboard, Roy Williams! [/b]

Actually, they could have used Jobey Thomas or even Brendan Plavich. :smiley: They were left wide open from 20 feet and no one could make them pay. Amazing how bad those guys shoot the basketball.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Aug 15 2004, 09:47 PM [b] They were left wide open from 20 feet [/b]
well there is a reason why they were left wide open, and you just said it. they cant shoot. if plav or jobey were out there, they would drain a couple threes, then for the rest of the game have someone on them like glue. but you dont have to guard the USA shooters very tight, because they cant shoot

i’m still trying to figure out why Melo wasn’t out there much in the 2nd half. I see him as being the best shooter on the team :wacko:

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 12:17 AM [b] i'm still trying to figure out why Melo wasn't out there much in the 2nd half. I see him as being the best shooter on the team :wacko: [/b]
You mean he shoots better than Lebron James??? :o :doh:

Chisox, can you change this one to USA basketball, errr NBA national team. They’ve been disowned. Seriously, may want to change the title. This could be a long one as the games progress.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 06:44 AM [b] You mean he shoots better than Lebron James??? :o :doh: [/b]

C’mon Moss. Did you see Lebron draining those full-court shots in practice? He’s the best shooter on the team!

Shooters are exactly the problem, if Carmelo is the best shooter on the team, and he hit a little above .300 from the three point line, then that just proves how retarded this team is. Isn’t there a glut of SFs and SGs? We’ve only got one post player with much NBA experience under his belt, between stoudamire and okafor? 2 years. This team is mostly also-rans and when the stars would rather stay home and wait for that call from cribs, the NBA should have scrapped the names that sell jerseys and tried to put a team together that works (michael redd could have hit more than 3-24.) The world has caught up, most foreign players aren’t as athletic and that is all they are deficent in. European players listen to their coach because they don’t think they know everything, and no matter what size they are there is a better than average chance they can shoot. If you can run the court and change a lightbulb without a ladder seems like your in the NBA these days. Bottom line, the NBA has become one big running/jumping/trashtalking contest, what a joke.

The best part of this joke is that its coached by Larry Brown and Roy Williams. Who better to put in charge of the team thats an embarrassment to the game of basketball than a couple of Tarheel Coaches? Give Roy the Dream Team and he still cant win a championship.
However admittedly its not the coaches fault. Nike, Reebok, and Adidas put this team together. Shows what those $150 shoes are worth.

[i]Originally posted by Hooligan[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 10:55 AM [b] The best part of this joke is that its coached by Larry Brown and Roy Williams. Who better to put in charge of the team thats an [b]embarrassment[/b] to the game of basketball than a couple of Tarheel Coaches? Give Roy the Dream Team and he still cant win a championship. However admittedly its not the coaches fault. Nike, Reebok, and Adidas put this team together. Shows what those $150 shoes are worth. [/b]
Beg your pardon, but there was ONLY ONE Dream Team. Please refrain from calling any team the Dream Team other than the one in 92 with Jordan, Magic, Bird, et al. This year's version is obviously the Nightmare Team.

The ONLY Dream Team!

[i]Originally posted by Hooligan[/i]@Aug 16 2004, 10:55 AM [b]Give Roy the Dream Team and he still cant win a championship.[/b]
There's at least one "talking head" who thinks Roy & Co. will cut down the nets in 2004-05!!!

ESPN.com: Dick Vitale: North Carolina is No. 1 in preseason Top 30

BTW, as concerns the Olympic team, how come Okafor never comes off the bench against Puerto Rico? When a team is playing that bad, you gotta try all of your options. Geez… :rolleyes:

Add me to the list that thought our performance was disgusting. Absolutely no D. Absolutely no TEAM PLAY.

Pathetic. The NBA is attempting to ruin the great game of basketball.

my thoughts:

we were getting spanked by old-school pick and rolls. it worked every time.

this is all a result of the current system in America, and we can thank David Stern and the players union for ruining the pro and college game. No longer the best players go 3 years to college and on to the NBA.

the rest of the world has not caught up with us, we just are getting worse at hoops.

All style, no substance.

We lost because, outside of Duncan, we didn’t send any basketball players. We sent 11 crossover and slam dunk artists, not basketball players. Part of being a basketball player is having the ability to shoot and have some concept of the fundamentals. We put a bunch of Gatorade commercials into USA basketball uniforms and got embarrassed by a basketball TEAM.
That USA team is a micrososm of everything that is wrong with pro athletes and what every other country hates about the US. Congradulations David Stern, you’ve ensured that I will never attend or watch another NBA game…as if that was even in question.

If they would get rid of the players union it would make a huge difference, like with any business the end product would be better without a union within distructing everything. Pro sports is an unique monopoly though…

Pulling against Team USA is a little demented. This isn’t “team NBA” its “Team USA” unless you are an immigrant or something and have a reason to pull for Puerto Rico (of course they are a province of ours). its like pulling against yourself to some degree(preferring to be a loser as opposed to a winner). Guess its to be expected though with what the NBA has become and the fact that their are Americans that even pull against us in “war on terror”, Olympics is small potatoes compared to that. IMO, it would take a “self-defeating” attitude/personality to root against Team USA, just not caring is a little different. Save the boos for the NBA games…

I love this from the Big O (no, not the Observer – THE BIG O – Oscar Robertson!). [NOTE: edited by poster]

[b]‘Big O’: U.S. has wrong players
Lack of shooters, defense cited

By Bill Koch
Cincinnati Enquirer staff writer
August 17, 2004

Oscar Robertson cringed as he watched the U.S. Olympic men’s basketball team get crushed Sunday by Puerto Rico on television.

Robertson, the former University of Cincinnati great who played on the 1960 U.S. Gold Medal team - still considered one of the greatest ever - knows something about how the game is supposed to be played.

What he saw on television didn’t qualify.

“Obviously, they don’t understand how to attack a zone,” Robertson said Monday. “They don’t have any good shooters outside. They dribble too much, rather than passing the ball, and they don’t play good defense.”

“I’m sure the guys are going to take this to heart,” said Robertson, who’s currently serving as UC’s interim head coach until Bob Huggins returns from his suspension. “The problem is, who picked these guys to play? That’s where the problem lies. Some guys just can’t get it done.”

Robertson’s 1960 team, coached by Pete Newell, featured the best college players of the day, including Jerry West, Jerry Lucas and Walt Bellamy. Robertson and Lucas, both of whom would later play for the NBA Cincinnati Royals, led the team in scoring with 17.0-point scoring averages.

That team won its eight games by an average margin of 42.4 points, holding opponents to 59.5 points per game.

“We knew how to play,” Robertson said. “We played together. We knew how to attack. We knew how to pass the ball against the zone.”

“I’m sure they’re trying to make some adjustments right now,” Robertson said. “How many players do they have, 12? From what I’ve seen, they ought to leave about five of them on the bench. Go with six or seven. You want to win the game. Just to keep somebody happy is not the thing to do right now.”[/b]

Link: ‘Big O’: U.S. has wrong players

[b]Said Lisa Leslie, center on the women's basketball team, which is 2-0: "I think they should come out here and support us and see how it is to play international basketball. I think they could learn a little something from us.''[/b]

USA Mens Team could learn from the WNBA…
:lol: :smirk: :grin:

That’s really not that funny because it’s true. The USA womem won’t be beaten, unlike their counterparts that make 20 times as much $$.