Total Appearances in the AP Poll

This was posted by Dunga on the A10 board, thought it was interesting.

[URL]http://www.appollarchive.com/mbasketball/ap/app_total.cfm?sort=totapp&decade=all&rows=all[/URL]

Charlotte comes in at #121 with 22 appearances in the AP poll since 1949. We’re one of the few teams listed that high with a highest ranking as low as #17. I imagine this is due to our propensity to lay an egg the minute we get ranked.

If you just do 2000’s we’re at #90, 1990’s we’re at #69.

great list, one heck of a curve for the ACC schools, UVA and Wake stand out, outside of the big three Duke, UNC and MD. UVA has always gotten pre-season rankings in hoops, remember a few years ago, spent time in top 10 two years in a row, and didn’t even make the tourny either year. This year is another great example a couple of months ago, what 4 top 10 teams, 3 top 4, of course they will be stretched just to get 1 in the Elite 8 again.

Also stands out, both UVA and Wake were able to gather number 1 rankings, look at some of the schools that you can remember having great teams to never make a 1 ranking.

City College of NY!?? Hamline!?? I’ve never heard of either and they both reached top ten spots!:ohmy:

Question- after the Final Four appearance, didn’t they have a final poll? I would think we would have been much higher than 17.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;388056]City College of NY!??[/QUOTE]
Chi, surprised you’ve never heard of CCNY. That’s a pretty prestigious institution, having produced a number of Nobel laureates and counts among its alums Colin Powell, Henry Kissinger, Woody Allen, Stanley Kubrick, and even the fictional Gordon Gekko of Wall Street fame (“Greed, for lack of a better word, is good”)!

Chi, surprised you've never heard of CCNY. That's a pretty prestigious institution, having produced a number of Nobel laureates and counts among its alums Colin Powell, Henry Kissinger, Woody Allen, Stanley Kubrick, and even the fictional Gordon Gekko of [I]Wall Street[/I] fame ("Greed, for lack of a better word, is good")!

Also CCNY was a dominant college basketball program until the point shaving scandal broke in the 1950s.

Now they are a D3 school that has 9 players on their roster and is 0-15 haha.

CCNY is the only team in men’s college basketball history to win both the NIT and the NCAA Tournament in the same year, 1950

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;388072]CCNY is the only team in men’s college basketball history to win both the NIT and the NCAA Tournament in the same year, 1950[/QUOTE]
Back when the NIT was more prestigious than the NCAA!

[QUOTE=hootie;388058]Question- after the Final Four appearance, didn’t they have a final poll? I would think we would have been much higher than 17.[/QUOTE]

Bump.

Good question.

[QUOTE=VA49er;388090]Bump.

Good question.[/QUOTE]
I have a newspaper headline from 1977’s Observer that says “UNCC Ranked #3” and it has a pre-Final Four poll with the top four being UNLV, UNC-CH, us, then Marquette. If I can find it, I’ll scan it.

At lot of schools I’ve never heard of have had really high rankings.

When has Davidson been #2?

davidson used to be gangster, back to back elite 80s at the end of the 60s.

[QUOTE=wayton5646;388103]At lot of schools I’ve never heard of have had really high rankings.

When has Davidson been #2?[/QUOTE]

Probably back when my all-time favorite coach. Charles “Lefty” Dreisell wsa there.

Suprised me Louisville has never been ranked number 1, they have had some good teams.

Yeah, like those ones that won national championships…

Yeah, like those ones that won national championships...

uh… yeah those… you would think they would have been ranked number 1 :blink:

[QUOTE=hootie;388107]Probably back when my all-time favorite coach. Charles “Lefty” Dreisell wsa there.[/QUOTE]
That’s correct. Just missed going to back-to-back Final Fours in 1968 (70-66) and 1969 (87-85), both losses to UNC-CH. The 1969 team was the one that got up to #2.

Anyone else suprised at how high Iowa is on that list?

Anyone else suprised at how high Iowa is on that list?

Lute Olson & Dr. Tom Davis

[QUOTE=hootie;388058]Question- after the Final Four appearance, didn’t they have a final poll? I would think we would have been much higher than 17.[/QUOTE]

Final AP Poll comes out BEFORE the NCAA Tournament.