Toys For Tots

It’s Davidson, it’s a good cause and a few 49ers fans can do a lot of good. Need I say more?

49ers, Davidson Competing for Toys for Tots Donations
Cross-town rivals vying to see which school can get more toys for great cause.

[b]Nov. 9, 2004

Charlotte, NC[/b] - The Charlotte 49ers Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is competing with Davidson to gather donations for the U.S. Marine Corps’ Toys for Tots program. Toys for Tots donation barrels will be located in Halton Arena for all men’s and women’s basketball games, beginning with the doubleheader on November 19.

Members of the community can bring new, unwrapped toys to place in the collection barrels. The cross-town rivals will gather donations up until December 7, and the 49ers will present the Marine Corps with their toys at the Charlotte versus Davidson men’s basketball game the following night. That game is schedule for 7:00 pm at Davidson.

“We got involved when Davidson challenged us to a competition,” said SAAC President Cassie Ficken. “It’s a big rivalry for the entire school in athletics, so we thought it would be a good way to maintain the rivalry but also help the kids. We invite all students and faculty to be involved in this competition and not only help us beat Davidson, but more importantly help out thousands of `tots’ in North Carolina.”

Anyone looking for more information about the program can visit the Charlotte 49ers Academic Support site, at www.uncc.edu/aac, or link through Charlotte49ers.com and click Academic Support.

This effort is just the latest in a long line of community service projects that Charlotte 49ers staff and student-athletes have been involved with. The SAAC is also raising funds for the National Kidney Foundation’s Kidney Walk, and the volleyball team raised over $3,300 through their “Dig for the Cure” program for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. The Charlotte track & field program helped to coordinate “Run for the Kids” on Saturday, November 6, to benefit the North Carolina Children’s Heart Hospital.

About the U.S. Marine Corps Toys for Tots Program:
Toys for Tots began in 1947 when Major Bill Hendricks, USMCR and a group of Marine Reservists in Los Angeles collected and distributed 5,000 toys to needy children.

The 2003 Toys for Tots campaign was the most successful campaign in the 56-year history of the Program. Marines distributed 15 million toys to 6.5 million needy children. Local campaigns were conducted in 456 communities covering all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. This was the most extensive coverage ever.

Over the 56 years of the U. S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program, Marines have distributed more than 313 million toys to 151 million children. This charitable endeavor has made the U.S. Marines the unchallenged leaders in looking after needy children at Christmas. Over its 13 year life, the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation has supplemented the collections of local campaigns with more than 47.3 million toys valued at $243 million, plus has provided promotion and support materials valued at $2.5 million.

For more information about the program, visit www.toysfortots.org

About the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC):
The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee is a group which consists of the Associate Athletic Director for Internal Affairs and the Life Skills Coordinator/Academic Advisor and representatives from each team. This council meets at least four times a semester in order for the administrative staff to hear the issues affecting the student-athletes and get their feedback on these issues. The group, which is mandatory for all NCAA schools according to national rules, also develops ways for student-athletes and teams to become more involved with the campus community.

Joy to the season…people, we’re all apart of Niner Nation. Can’t we get along?

Buy some toys and donate them to a great cause. Bring them to tonights game and drop-off in the barrels just inside the arena. I just cleaned out the Dollar Store at lunch. We need to beat those Davidson yuppies.

Anyone know how this turned out? I was roaming the arena during halftime of Davidson when I assume they announced the winner.

I believe they said that both schools did well, but Davidson won.

We lost.

I seem to recall hearing Charlotte 250+, Davidson 1000+