Traffic Ticket Attorney Advice - Shelby

Got pulled today for the 1st time in my life. Going 70 on HWY 74 in what I thought was still a 65. Turned out to be a 55. Of course the 65 picked up again like 5 miles down the road. SHP pulled and issued $160 ticket. Not too bad but not looking for points. This happened in Cleveland County.

Anybody have a recommendation for an attorney? I’ve been told James C Gray.

IF this is your first ticket, just get it reduced to “faulty equipment” or something like that. You only get like one every 5 years or so but since it’s your first, you should be good.

Anybody ever file for a prayer for judgement?

If this is your first ticket you’ll likely get granted a prayer for judgement if you want to go that route. If you get any other ticket in the next three years though, they’ll also charge you for speeding.

Charball, there are no limits on faulty equipment that I’ve noticed. I got two speeding tickets within a 5 year period and both were reduced. I doubt the counties really care. They are still getting their money because my faulty equipment charges have always cost the same as the speeding ticket.

[quote=“donkeyjaws, post:3, topic:23020”]Anybody ever file for a prayer for judgement?[/quote]I have. Twice. Must be three years apart and three maximum lifetime. If you get nailed again within a year of the PJC, the previous one is reinstated.

One I got a lawyer for. I did 95 in a 65 with reckless.

The other was 74 in a 55. I decided to forgo the lawyer and instead went to the administration hearing and talked to the assistant DA myself. He offered a reduction and I asked if he would consider a PJC (this was about 4 years after the first one.) He paused for a moment, and said “sure. you’ll have to go to the safe driving course though.” I told him that was fine and was on my way.

I’m not saying that you’ll pull it off as well. I’m not an attorney and don’t have much experience in these regards. But I dressed up well for court (you wouldn’t believe how ridiculously people dress/behave there) and spoke confidently, but politely, to the ADA.

One way or the other, get it taken away or reduced to a non-moving offense. You don’t want your premiums going up for insurance.

Insurance companies don’t always check up on your driving record though. My brother got 3 tickets at once last year and got into an accident that totaled his car last year and his premiums went down this year. :))

Thanks for all the advice. I’m interested in seeing if I can pull off the PFJ without appearing in court since it would be in Shelby on a Friday. I’m going to call on Monday and see if I can speak with an ADA for my options. I’d hate to go the attorney route if I can pull this off myself but I don’t want to see a hike in premiums over 2 points. I’ve been driving for 10 years with no prior accidents or pulls. This should be a relatively easy thing for me to handle.

FYI…It’s a Prayer for Judgment Continued (PJC). You want to make sure you ask for the right thing. You’re asking for a continuance on the judgment, basically that you won’t do it again, and if you do, they hand down a judgment and you pay the fine/get the points.

Really, though, how bad is 1 ticket going to affect your insurance? If you hire a lawyer, it’s a minimum $300. Are you going to spend that much in additional insurance over the time period it takes for the points to expire? I would doubt it, though I don’t know for sure. I would look into it.

I’ve had seven speeding tickets in my life, though none in the last 12 years. I’ve never once hired an attorney, and have managed to get reductions on every one that I fought. There were some obvious ones where I was just an idiot, and felt the fine was justified. I did get a big one reduced from 83 in a 55 to “Failing to Obey Posted Traffic Signs” once, which was huge…6 points and $400 difference between the two.

Anyway, good luck. And don’t fail to obey posted traffic signs in the future.

Got a ticket on 85 in Kings Mountain (which is in Cleveland county, you’ll go to the same courthouse).

I used Mickey Corry. He was recommended to me by 2 coworkers from Cleveland County. I got out of “following too close” and going 15 over. It was reduced to improper equipment so no points, no insurance rise, and no use of a prayer for judgement.

Do not do a prayer for judgement, just spend the extra $125 on a lawyer and be done with it.

Sweet Thanks

[quote=“ninerID, post:9, topic:23020”]Got a ticket on 85 in Kings Mountain (which is in Cleveland county, you’ll go to the same courthouse).

I used Mickey Corry. He was recommended to me by 2 coworkers from Cleveland County. I got out of “following too close” and going 15 over. It was reduced to improper equipment so no points, no insurance rise, and no use of a prayer for judgement.

Do not do a prayer for judgement, just spend the extra $125 on a lawyer and be done with it.[/quote]
tailgaterID ;D

First off, i’d like to point out I am in no way giving legal advice, I am just sharing hear say.

PJC is done per county, so you can get one per county. If you were not in your home county, just go for the PJC if you have no other options. I got stuck with a 90+ in a 55 in Gaston County and all they could do was reduce it to 70 and drop the reckless driving charge (its a packaged deal with anything 30 over). I decided to hit the PJC on that one since I don’t live in Gaston county and rarely drive through there.

Also, if there is no way to avoid getting points, from what I hear, you can hit up an insurance company who does 1 year policy as opposed to 6 month policy and renew with them right away. Apparently you’ll get at least a year without higher premiums, just leaving you with 2 years of higher payments.

But from what I hear, most of the time, if this is your first offense, they generally don’t penalize you unless it is 15 over. But just like a PJC, if you get another ticket, not only will your insurance penalize you for the current ticket, but also the first ticket. Also (iirc) unlike driving points which last 3 years, your insurance points last 5 years, so you have to remember that with the first ‘pass’ that they give you on your ticket, should you choose to accept the ticket.

Your best course of action is to call your insurance agent and a lawyer and figure out your best course of action (like your already doing)! You got plenty of ammo in this thread!

Tell them you’re with the nWo and don’t abide by their commoner laws.

This made me laugh. You’re the man, CharSF.
:slight_smile:

[quote=“donkeyjaws, post:1, topic:23020”]Got pulled today for the 1st time in my life. Going 70 on HWY 74 in what I thought was still a 65. Turned out to be a 55. Of course the 65 picked up again like 5 miles down the road. SHP pulled and issued $160 ticket. Not too bad but not looking for points. This happened in Cleveland County.

Anybody have a recommendation for an attorney? I’ve been told James C Gray.[/quote]

Your mailbox is probably going to be overflowing with offers from lawyers. I just got a 15 over ticket a couple of months back, picked the cheapest lawyer that I saw in the mail, and got it dropped without having to worry about it again. I think I paid around $220 total (including lawyer, court fees, etc.).

Yeah an attorney for around $200 would make my life a lot easier. I’d like to get it thrown out all together, which should be easy given that this was my first time ever being pulled. I’m making some phone calls tomorrow for sure.

Gill thanks for that info. I work for the insurance company that insures my car. I bet I can call the underwriter and pull a few strings. :slight_smile:

[quote=“ninerID, post:9, topic:23020”]Got a ticket on 85 in Kings Mountain (which is in Cleveland county, you’ll go to the same courthouse).

Do not do a prayer for judgement, just spend the extra $125 on a lawyer and be done with it.[/quote]

Just called Corry. Got the ticket down to faulty equipment for $100. Was told that PFJ is not the way to go and can still affect insurance. I was also told that the Trooper who pulled me is notorious for never giving a warning.

Thanks for all the advice. I will sleep better tonight.