Transfer Dominique Sutton

Recently announced he is ransferring from K State. Started every game for them last year. 6’5’’ swingman, primarily a defender, would only have one year of eligibility left. Hometown is Durham, coaches said he wants to play in NC to be closer to his kids. We have schollies, do we have interest? Does he? Just thought it was interesting, he could be a short term but immediate replacement for Anjuan and sounds like he would fit into Major’s system.

http://www.kansas.com/2010/07/03/1388727/wildcatssutton-to-transfer.html

I like the idea of it. We have scholarships.

We also have 2 juniors, so next season (not this coming one) we would only lose 3 guys in one season if he joined.

if he were immediately eligible i would be all for it but i don’t know if it is a good idea to use up a scholarship on a one year player, especially with all the good players we are going after for 2011.

this…
absolutely!

[quote=“earlyniner, post:4, topic:23529”]this…
absolutely![/quote]

which?

[quote=“earlyniner, post:4, topic:23529”]if he were immediately eligible i would be all for it but i don’t know if it is a good idea to use up a scholarship on a one year player, especially with all the good players we are going after for 2011.
this…
absolutely![/quote]

from k-state huh. maybe i’m biased. but i’m all in favor of “stealing” any players we can from them.

from k-state huh. maybe i’m biased. but i’m all in favor of “stealing” any players we can from them.[/quote]
we’re not really stealing him. he is chooisng to transfer and would have one year remaining. its not exactly a michael beasley situation.

This guy is a top notch athlete. I think he would be a great get!

no way, no way do you want a transfer with one year left coming in. Hope we don’t consider this.

It would be different if you’re talking a John Wall- type.

I can’t find the link, but saw he mentioned he was looking at NCSU & Wake.

Found it:

Sutton is unsure what school he will end up with, but he is hoping to land with Wake Forest or North Carolina State.

Kansas.com: Kansas State’s Dominique Sutton wanted to be closer to family

Thanks Run.

When I saw K State, I immediately assumed you were talking about Kent State.

http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox/status/20148645415

Heading to NC Central.

NC Central also picked up a Oklahoma transfer, if I’m not mistaken today.

thats a good pickup for nc central. he can go there and be a star.

ESPN’s Eamonn Brennan thinks so:

Were it not for a handful of former professional players -- current coach LeVelle Morton among them -- Sutton would be the best player in the school's history from the moment he steps on the school's Durham campus.
ESPN.com: [b][url=http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/13943/k-state-transfer-lands-at-surprising-spot]K-State transfer lands at surprising spot[/url][/b]

ESPN’s Eamonn Brennan thinks so:

Were it not for a handful of former professional players -- current coach LeVelle Morton among them -- Sutton would be the best player in the school's history from the moment he steps on the school's Durham campus.
ESPN.com: [b][url=http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/13943/k-state-transfer-lands-at-surprising-spot]K-State transfer lands at surprising spot[/url][/b]

It is premature for journalist to place that claim on Sutton before he has played a game for NCCU. There are a number of very talented players in the MEAC who could play and be successful anywhere in the country. Reggie Holmes (Morgan State) 2009-10 AP All-American being one of them. The MEAC will not lay down or be intimidated just because a player from Kansas State transfers into their conference.

It is also odd the perception that if a very good player i.e.Sutton transfers from a BCS conference to the MEAC that player is labled an instant success. However if that same very good player had transfered from NCCU to Kansas State people and publications would initially question his ability to even compete much less achieve on that level.

Fact is the kids who can flat out play, can play anywhere. Regardless of where they come from or where there going.

[quote=“sokool, post:19, topic:23529”]It is premature for journalist to place that claim on Sutton before he has played a game for NCCU. There are a number of very talented players in the MEAC who could play and be successful anywhere in the country. Reggie Holmes (Morgan State) 2009-10 AP All-American being one of them. The MEAC will not lay down or be intimidated just because a player from Kansas State transfers into their conference.

It is also odd the perception that if a very good player i.e.Sutton transfers from a BCS conference to the MEAC that player is labled an instant success. However if that same very good player had transfered from NCCU to Kansas State people and publications would initially question his ability to even compete much less achieve on that level.

Fact is the kids who can flat out play, can play anywhere. Regardless of where they come from or where there going.[/quote]sokool, just typical Big 6/BCS bias on the part of Brennan. In his piece he refers to “tiny” North Carolina Central. So, decided to compare the enrollments of NCCU and Wake Forest, one of the other schools Sutton considered:

NC Central = 8,500 students
Wake Forest = 6,900 students

Never ceases to amaze me the ignorance of the media and especially sportswriters. Reminds me of all the to references to “little” and “small” George Mason during their Final Four run in 2006. Well, that “small” Virginia school has over 32,000 students, making it the largest university in the state!

Anyway, good luck to Sutton at NCCU. Do I think he’s going to dominate the MEAC and be named POY during his one and only season in the league? No, but should be a nice player for the Eagles.