Travis Diener

Am I the only 1 who thinks that Diener is the most overhyped/overrated pg in the country.Marquette’s had 1 good win this year,they looked awful vs. memphis,and diener had some of the worst turnovers i’ve ever seen…and lots of em.They look slow,not great defensively…and if you play d on novak and shut him down like memphis did…they have virtually nothing. I hate to say it,but if Diener wasn’t white…he wouldn’t be considered among the top 20 pg’s.(and I am white,so no racism there)I expect us to go into marquette and beat them…we match up very well I think.Every time I see Diener,the only thing he really does very well is shoot free throws.I see Mitchell outplaying him solidly.

I wonder if he’ll take the opportunity to throw a head fake on Chris Nance (since Calvin is no longer with us)… :stuck_out_tongue:

The man can shoot. He’s averaging 20+ PPG and 6.5 APG. Also shooting 46% from behind the arc and 88% from the FT line. 2nd in the league in PPG and 1st in assists. And they have played two ranked team(at least were ranked when they played) and a Memphis team that is finding it’s groove, also a decent Nebraska team.

You are reaching if you say he’s not clearly the best PG in CUSA. Hopefully Mitch’s speed will give him an advantage over Diener, but I am expecting him to put up 20+ on us. There are a lot of PGs who have played much easier schedules and haven’t put up nearly the number Diener has.

[i]Originally posted by lucky57[/i]@Jan 14 2005, 11:39 AM [b] Am I the only 1 who thinks that Diener is the most overhyped/overrated pg in the country.Marquette's had 1 good win this year,they looked awful vs. memphis,and diener had some of the worst turnovers i've ever seen..and lots of em.They look slow,not great defensively..and if you play d on novak and shut him down like memphis did..they have virtually nothing. I hate to say it,but if Diener wasn't white..he wouldn't be considered among the top 20 pg's.(and I am white,so no racism there)I expect us to go into marquette and beat them..we match up very well I think.Every time I see Diener,the only thing he really does very well is shoot free throws.I see Mitchell outplaying him solidly. [/b]
It is true that Diener didn't have a good game last night. Memphis's size went a long way in bothering him. However, that kid is one of the gutsiest, hard-nosed, smartest players in CUSA history. He does have some talent, and shoots the 3 exceptionally well. (45-95, 47.3%) He is 2nd all-time in C-Usa in assists. As much as Dwayne Wade was the star of Marquette's Final Four team, Diener was the key to them getting there. He makes that team go, plain and simple.

I think Memphis gave the rest of the league the blueprint to beating Marquette. Do not leave Novak alone and run them to death. Good ballplayers, but not great athletes. Get caught in a half court game and they thrive.

I still can’t believe he broke Rice’s nose with that swing. It didn’t looks that hard.

I’ve been a fan of Diener ever since he arrived at Marquette (with the exceptions, of course, when they have played us!!!). A couple of things really hurt MU before and after Wade left for the NBA - Odartey Blankson transferred to UNLV and Scott Merritt, IMHO, never lived up to his potential. Blankson averaged 17.6 ppg and 10.2 rpg for the Runnin’ Rebs last season and has similiar numbers this year as well - 16.5 ppg and 8.7 rpg. Probably would have gotten them to the Big Dance last year and certainly couldn’t have hurt during the Final Four run.

Marquette is not that good, we will handle them easily.

Does anybody have pictures of his sisters? I heard one is cute(St. Louis one) and then he has one that go to Lewis(sp?) college in Miss. I think- said it on the game last night. That has to be the biggest basketball family of all time.

Rachel Diener

Brittney Diener

I think they are both hot. I’d do them both.

Brittney

Rachel