Tuesday Observer: Is Pitino skeered?

Not looking to play Niners if it means coming to Halton

Pitino is definitely skeered. I would love to see many more Niners vs Cinci games in the future, and I’m glad to see we still have two more Indiana games.

We can forget Marquette as well. Judy Rose and I talked about this very subject during a men’s soccer match during the fall and she said the series with Tom Crean & Co. will end after this season.

I think it’s because of the PA announcer … :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t realize we signed such a long agreement with Indiana, so that is like a total of 5 years.

I really doubt you see us playing any of those teams in the future, VCU is a good example of this, we had great games with them and a good rivalry, but after the conferences split up we have not really re-scheduled.

Excellent article. Very well done. If I lived in Charlotte, I’d buy the paper. :wink:

Pretty much confirms what some of us have said before - most teams are “scared” to play us. If I’m a coach of a Top 50 program, I don’t want to play any teams where I’m going to be lucky to win. It doesn’t take a genius to look at UNC’s schedule to figure this out. Play your traditional rivalries, a bunch of cupcakes and let your conference schedule sort it out.
I think we’ll be okay in the A-10 with this reasoning, but it would be nice to see us continue playing Cincy, just for old times sake.

If ESPN wants the Charlotte - Cincy game on it will happen.

Does anyone know what our games with them in the past have produced ratings wise? They’ve kept us on there the last few years so it must do pretty well.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jan 11 2005, 08:41 AM [b] [url=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/sports/10615149.htm]Not looking to play Niners if it means coming to Halton[/url] [/b]
THat's what the headline should have been...Pitino scared to continue with Niners!!! Not "Louisville to plan future without Niners". Good questions by Jena. I wish she would have elaborated on the point below. Part of the deal was that the teams leaving for the Big East have to play a certain number of games vs the current C-USA group (or is it the new C-USA teams). How many games and what are the details?

“Only because we think Charlotte has an outstanding program,” he said. “The way conference realignment is, you have to play Conference USA teams one game home and one game away, and we play Kentucky, and right now we’re so overscheduled with the Big East being such a large league, we can barely get in our home games.”

Lefty> Programs with the financial means could avoid playing games against CUSA opponents.

Throw Louisville in that group.

[i]Originally posted by amnesiac[/i]@Jan 11 2005, 09:38 AM [b] I didn't realize we signed such a long agreement with Indiana, so that is like a total of 5 years. [/b]
Well, I believe there are two separate deals there. The first one was a 2-for-1 (at Indiana in 01 and 03; at Charlotte in 02) and this is a new contract with them. I'm not sure what the stipulations of the new deal are, though.
[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Jan 11 2005, 12:57 PM [b] Lefty> Programs with the financial means could avoid playing games against CUSA opponents.

Throw Louisville in that group. [/b]

I hadn’t heard they could buy there way out of that clause. Maybe Jena could provide the re-alignment details.

BTW, how about Huggy? Said he is interested in continuing playing us and called Lutz his dear, dear friend.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Jan 11 2005, 12:54 PM [b] Part of the deal was that the teams leaving for the Big East have to play a certain number of games vs the current C-USA group (or is it the new C-USA teams). How many games and what are the details? [/b]
Lefty, the Clarion-Ledger offers some insight on this, though not a lot of clarity:

[b]The only given is that the departing programs will be required to play games with its former C-USA brethren as part of a negotiated deal between the league, the league-jumpers and ESPN, which holds the television rights to the conference’s basketball and football games.

C-USA is in the middle of an eight-year agreement with the cable giant. The loss of nationally recognized, large-market programs like U of L, Cincinnati, Marquette and DePaul, diluted the value of the fee ESPN paid for the broadcasting rights. To avoid paying money back, the teams agreed to play future games in both football and basketball.

“There’s a four- or five-year commitment,” U of L coach Rick Pitino said. “We have to play one game, and one game away.”[/b]

Link: Louisville to make final C-USA visit to Hub City