Tulane's gym

Bobby talked about the size of it tonight, so I found a few pictures.
It seats 3,600 and just got air conditioning in 2001. Arena scoring record is 66 points by Pete Maravich (and Tulans STILL beat LSU by 16). Somehow, I don’t think BP will challenge that one.

The setup looks like a smaller version of Minges Coliseum at ECU. I really hate those low ceilings.

at least it doesn’t have rafters!!!

Where do the bench players sit? On the floor?

Looks a lot like the Mine Shaft. A place like that can rock when its full.

Just a note on Pistol Pete. That 66 points was without the benefit of a 3 pointer. Everytime I think about the records that guy set, it boggles my mind.

I saw a college allstar game there in 93 during the final four. It should be a cool place to watch the game for those niner fans luck enough to attend.

i don’t see the pic

A couple of Plav’s bombs could hit the ceiling there…

Something Lutz said that made me a little nervous…no one on our team right now, has ever played in Tulane’s satdium…by stadium I mean the practice gym they have with a couple bleachers…

Look’s like a lot of the venue’s we’ll be playing at in the A-10 ;(

Fogelman Arena

One of the most historic facilities in college basketball, Fogelman Arena has been the home of Green Wave basketball for 71 years.

Avron B. Fogelman Arena, one of the most historic facilities in college basketball, celebrates its 71st year as the home of Green Wave basketball in 2003-04. During the fall of 2001, Fogelman received a major makeover. In addition to a paint job and a refurbished floor, the arena was fitted with air conditioning for the first time in its history.

In the summer of 2003, Fogelman again received upgrades, as the men’s basketball team had its locker room remodeled to accommodate changes in the structure of the building due to the expansion of the University Center. The Green Wave volleyball team, which shares the facility with the hoop teams, also enjoys an upgraded locker room. A thorough redecorating project of the locker room areas is underway as well.

Construction for the original facility was funded by the Green Wave football team’s appearance in the 1932 Rose Bowl. Some $80,000 was earmarked toward the building of a gymnasium. In fact, the facility was unofficially referred to as “Rose Bowl Gym” back in its early days.

Less than two years later, on October 27, 1933, Tulane Gymnasium was dedicated as part of Homecoming festivities on campus, and play began in the facility for the 1933-34 season. Tulane defeated Southwestern Louisiana, 38-34, in the facility’s first game on December 15, 1933.

Tulane Gym was one of the largest in college basketball when it opened nearly 70 years ago, even though there were no court level seats at first. Tulane played host to the 1942 NCAA East Regional in the facility. Floor-level seats were added in 1948.

The Green Wave played all of its home games in the facility until the mid-1970s, when a select number of games were moved to the Louisiana Superdome. The Wave moved all of its home games back on campus again in 1981-82 after another remodeling job.

In 1982, the arena was the site of the National Association of Basketball Coaches All-Star Game in conjunction with Tulane’s hosting of the NCAA Men’s Final Four. Tulane hosted the event again in 1993, along with the three-point and slam dunk competitions.

The arena is named for Memphis, Tenn., businessman and Tulane alumnus Avron B. Fogelman, who was one of the key figures in giving the Green Wave a new-look home back in the late 1980s.

While Fogelman Arena stands in the same frame and has much the same outside appearance as old Tulane Arena, that’s where the similarities end. The inside of the arena underwent a major facelift, from all-new seating to a reconditioned playing floor and improved locker rooms to a new scoreboard.

The improved seating arrangement includes 850 chairback seats. Previously, all seats had been wooden bleachers. Other improvements included a new lobby and entrance area, concession and novelty stands throughout the arena, and media seating at courtside.

Some of college basketball’s greats have played or coached on the corner of Freret and McAlister. Players such as Dan Issel, Dave Cowens and Pete Maravich graced Tulane fans with their talents, while the list of coaches to sit on the visitors’ bench includes Adolph Rupp, Phog Allen, Everett Case and Dean Smith.

Maravich still holds the facility records for points scored in a game with 66 on February 11, 1969. Despite his efforts, the Green Wave defeated Louisiana State, 110-94, that day.

Fogelman Facts
Dedicated - October 27, 1933
Original Construction Costs - $80,000
First Game - December 15, 1933 (Tulane 38, S.W. Louisiana 34)
Current Capacity - 3,600
Seasons - 67
All-Time Record - 508-249 (.671)
Arena Scoring Record - 66 points by Pete Maravich, LSU, February 11, 1969
Tulane Record - 45 points by Jim Kerwin vs. Southeastern Louisiana, February 1, 1961

If gym size is the concern the team may need to practice in the “Shaft”. After all, it was the first one we got and if the '77 squad got it done there, the current one should not have any problem with it. Besides, who knows some of the charms and magic from the “Shaft” could rub off . . . and all of a sudden we compete for the National title.