Two Deep for Gardner Webb

Just because you look the part doesnā€™t make you a player,
He never got on the field at penn state either. & there are many of those kids at the power 5 level

This defense was pretty good last season. New players had to step up to earn a spot no matter where they came from.

this idea that because someone is on a ā€œp5ā€ team, even one like psu, that they are automatically better than our guys , is silly. we have a lot of really good players. we will have several nfl guys come out of this roster and this kid never played much at psu either.

1 Like

It is always interesting to look at guys that find success and those who donā€™t, relative to their recruiting. Guys like Ogunjobi and Highsmith had no stars or offers, but have since shown they could have likely contributed on the vast majority of college teams in the country.

Here are other great examples. https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-all-time-two-star-unranked-team

How many guys on the two deep roster right now are walk ons. ?

Reynolds and Highsmith are the most notable that were walk one. Donā€™t know about right now though.

clt says recruiting rankings are pointless, and the p5 doesnā€™t exist.

UCF is better than 25% of ā€œp5 ā€œ teams

iā€™d put that number at significantly higher than 25%. more like 80%.

1 Like

Iā€™ll work on How many walk ones are on the 2 deep tomorrow (at work).

Biggest surprises for me are Ringwood at WR and Stewart over Horne at DT. Assuming Horne isnā€™t hurt though that bodes well. Horne is good so if Stewart beat him out it means we have a little more depth there than anticipated.

WR may be our deepest position, and for me Ringwood came out of nowhere. Once again though, he beat out some quality players so thatā€™s good news.

agree about ringwood. i am suprised jeffrey and wiggins arentā€™ on there.

Depth Chart and Roster added to the wiki page.

Iā€™m going to try to keep the page updated with injuries this year. So far the only season ending injury I know of is Rico Arnold. If you know of anyone else let me know and Iā€™ll add it to the wiki page.

Some thoughts

15 (missed Doctor starting some in 2017) of our starters have started a game for us. 7 started all 12.

On the other side, Dom Taylor (a Tintin fav) started against FAU last year, Jacob Hunt (who Iā€™m embarrassed to say Iā€™ve never heard of) started against Umass and Middle, and Gibbs started 3 games.

Osborne played 30 games at UT, but I donā€™t know if he started any.

Iā€™got Horne (12), Anderson (9), and Butler (10) are among several players who had many starts but is not starting Thursday.

Not counting Taylor who is listed as a starter at LG but also a backup at RG, our 2nd string Olineman have played in 7 gamesā€¦Combined.

1 Like

suprised hunt is starting over robertson.

1 Like

Probably came down to who the better blocking TE is. I think Roberson will get used fairly heavily though.