Tyler Lewis Transferring to Butler

It did not take NC State recruiting over Lewis. He has not even played his first game and they have a commitment from a top-15 recruit. You cannot blame State, but hope Lewis is happy at NC State not playing much.

Let’s see Lewis play before we say he’ll be on the bench.

I personally believe Lewis will be a great college player and look forward to seeing him play, even if it isn’t with us.

[quote=“Niner National, post:2, topic:26946”]Let’s see Lewis play before we say he’ll be on the bench.

I personally believe Lewis will be a great college player and look forward to seeing him play, even if it isn’t with us.[/quote]

I think IF he gets on the floor he could be a great player and an entertaining player. Just interesting that State has brought in a top player who will be more athletic than Tyler is. Should be a red flag to kids, but it isn’t. You can go to a top program and they are not scared to recruit over you or you can come to a place like Charlotte where most likely the job is yours for 3 or 4 years. Tyler will face more competition at State than he would have here. Tyler and his dad were star struck with the ACC though so if it happens to him I won’t shed a tear.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:3, topic:26946”][quote=“Niner National, post:2, topic:26946”]Let’s see Lewis play before we say he’ll be on the bench.

I personally believe Lewis will be a great college player and look forward to seeing him play, even if it isn’t with us.[/quote]

I think IF he gets on the floor he could be a great player and an entertaining player. Just interesting that State has brought in a top player who will be more athletic than Tyler is. Should be a red flag to kids, but it isn’t. You can go to a top program and they are not scared to recruit over you or you can come to a place like Charlotte where most likely the job is yours for 3 or 4 years. Tyler will face more competition at State than he would have here. Tyler and his dad were star struck with the ACC though so if it happens to him I won’t shed a tear.[/quote]If you had a kid that was being recruited by Charlotte and an ACC school, you’d probably push for the ACC school too as long as the atmosphere and coaching fit was right.

Let’s face it, you get better exposure and a better chance of making it to the next level at an ACC program. No competitor makes a decision thinking “oh well they might recruit over me and I won’t get to play.” A real competitor thinks he’s the best and can outplay anyone. If you don’t think like that, I honestly don’t want you on the team anyway.

I wish nothing but the best for Tyler and if it doesn’t work out at State, I’d love to see him play here.

I think Tyler is going to be a phenomenal college basketball player. He was ranked the 44th best player in the nation. He lead a legendary Oak Hill Academy program to another national title. Rumor has it, he lit up the competition in Spain on their international trip. While I would have loved for him to come here, the reality of the situation is, not many 4 and 5 star players pick Charlotte these days. I think the best we can do is support one of our current player’s little brother, and hope he does well. Nobody on ninernation.net is going to be able to determine who will start at PG for NC State next year. Not to mention, even if a situation in which Tyler becomes unhappy with his playing time were to occur, if he finds a thread on our fan board in which all we have done is say “Tyler isn’t gonna start at NC State” that is probably going to really turn him off to our program. I think this thread is a horrible idea all the way around.

Oh I understand 100% why a kid would pick an ACC school in basketball or an SEC school in football. Just saying that many times they get dazzled by name and poof their career is over and they never got a chance to contribute. The list of McD AA and big time recruits who have gone to ACC schools and then got stuck on a bench is a long one.

Again I don’t fault them for doing - just that sometimes they are thinking with their heart more than their mind when they do.

I agree with Ninerwup on this one. I do not blame Lewis for going as 99% of the kids would go to the ACC. It is amazing that State would recruit a top-15 recruit before he has even played his first game. I am sure that State feels like the new commitment is an upgrade, but I feel for Lewis as he seems to be a good kid.

If Lewis came here and we had a shot at a top 10 kid that played PG in the next class, we’d go after him all the same.

Truth - but we probably would not have a shot at the top 10 kid… Im just sayin…

Top programs will always recruit over you if they have a chance. I don’t blame the coaches for it, they get paid based on Ws. It sucks for the kids who get sucked in by the name and tradition if it happens to them.

Kids do get starstruck by the ACC and I understand it but I don’t know why kids would rather sit on an ACC bench than play for a Charlotte, Richmond, etc.

Jackson Simmons comes to mind. He’ll never play meaningful minutes IMO and he could have played a lot here. I don’t get it

one thing one guy told me was at a program like UNCCh everything is done first class, you’ll see places you probably wouldn’t otherwise get to see and all the trappings of a big money program.

I kinda get that and that is the best arguement I’ve heard, but I would still want to play if I could as opposed to waving a towel for 4 years

If TL was to transfer what makes anyone think he would come to us. If Major did recruit him then he would be recruiting over Denzel and PH. Major/Oliver would never do that would they? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sure he would be “over” PH. I’ve never seen him play in college

clt says if you are talented enough to make the nba, you can do that in cusa or acc.

I’m happy enough with Henry for the next three years thanks :slight_smile:

I think it’s really sad that we’re having a discussion about Tyler Lewis transferring here just because NCSU recruited someone with a higher ranking. It’s just really really sad…

Couldn’t agree more

We recruited over Wade Helliwell, didn’t we?

Funny this got bumped to the top today. I had a guest come into the hotel I work at tonight tell me he went to NC State’s midnight madness. He said, “The small new kid that everyone is talking about was just getting pushed around on the court. I don’t know if he is going to be as good as everyone thinks, he’s just too small.”

Now this isn’t a scout or recruiter so take it with a grain of salt but it doesn’t look like he’s impressed everyone over in Raleigh.

We recruited over Wade Helliwell, didn’t we?[/quote]

Yes - all schools recruit over you. My point is you can be a 5 star kid at Charlotte and most likely not get recruited over during your entire career. A 5 star kid at Chapel Hill, Duke or State will get recruited over in a heart beat if the school has a chance to land another piece of high level talent.

Lower talent gets recruited over all the time at all schools.