Tyler Lewis Transferring to Butler

If I was NCSU coach and a top 15 player called to commit to my program, I would take him whether he was an upgrade or not.

Tyler will be fine. Best of luck to him. Would have loved to see him in a Niner jersey. Maybe sometime in his tenure there he’ll get beat by a Niner jersey and regret not coming here.

But lets be real. The kid had a direct outlet into what this program looks like through his brother. And we all know that the Spears/Major debacle didn’t make things look all rosy. The team wasn’t getting along, we were losing and showing no sign of change, and he had a program on the rise in a top BCS conference right down the street who wanted him. That’s an easy decision if you ask me.

Personally, the only way we had a shot at this kid was if Lutz was still around. No one, especially not highly rated talent (note: not all top talent is highly rated), commits knowing that things aren’t going well or even looking up at a program. Personally, I thought it was evident that there have been internal issues over the last 2 years. Year 1 was obvious and I think year 2 was the hangover. Maybe this year will be different

[quote=“LoyalNiner, post:19, topic:26946”]Funny this got bumped to the top today. I had a guest come into the hotel I work at tonight tell me he went to NC State’s midnight madness. He said, “The small new kid that everyone is talking about was just getting pushed around on the court. I don’t know if he is going to be as good as everyone thinks, he’s just too small.”

Now this isn’t a scout or recruiter so take it with a grain of salt but it doesn’t look like he’s impressed everyone over in Raleigh.[/quote]
I have a lot of State fan friends and none of them are terribly excited about him. I heard the same about their madness, their view is that he’ll be a good backup for four years. Not that fan views are the final word on a player, but it shows the general mindset of that program right now. Top 10 preseason, starting to land quite a few top 20 recruits, etc… They aren’t going to get excited about a guy like Lewis.

If things go according to plan in Raleigh, Lewis will never be a starter for them, but who are we to say that’s a bad thing? If PT was the most important thing to every HS player in the country, we would have no trouble landing top recruits. He’s going to play for a winning program with a great chance to make 4 NCAA appearances while he is there. He’s going to get good coaching, play on national TV against some of the best competition in the country. That’s not such a bad deal.

If he really becomes a backup playing 10 min or less… No way he can be happy. He’s been a starting pg for how long? His hype has been going for a while… If he doesn’t get at least 20 min I can see him maybe leaving. I could understand if he had to go down to DII and graduate at a far worse school, but there is plenty of quality schools that would give him minutes.

Might not be the right word but all bball players want to be respected… And how many backups get that respect?

Who knows, I wish him well but I hope state sucks bad forever.

Talent wins out in the end. Don’t forget State lost Harrow to Kentucky through transfer. If Tyler’s HS talent translate to the college game, he’ll easily get as many minutes as he wants.

It’s a numbers game. Lorenzo Brown this year, preseason all-ACC PG. He’s a JR, if he leaves after this year (a good possibility) then Anthony Barber comes in next year, a top 15 guy in his class. Add in Purvis, a top 15 guard who is a freshman this year, unlikely either goes pro after one season. The guard spots are locked down for at least three years if the recruiting hype is to be believed.

Lewis has a huge uphill battle trying to get his PT. Of course if he turns out to be the best PG in the country he will get his time, but NCSU clearly recruited over him which was the initial point of the thread. Nobody knows how it will actually turn out, but he has to beat out some big names to earn PT.

Don’t forget the Bobby Lutz factor. NCSU is going to have a great year and Bobby is going to get his next head coaching job in April (just after our last check to him clears I guess). He is going to end up with a $ million contract and a lower half team in a BCS conference and take Tyler with him. It will be Melvin Watkins Part Deux…and God bless him for hitting the lottery. It couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. Take the money and run Bobby. Take the money and run.

If Purvis has a good year, there is a chance he could be a top 15 pick. State is also recruiting PG’s in 2014 as well…

Bobby get’s paid till 2014! I know it’s not popular but it’s the truth.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/flash/5917087/

Bobby will be the next coach at Wake Forest.

Not an outrageous idea

I can see that happening, it’s a shame he couldn’t parlay his success here into a gig like that.

Not an outrageous idea[/quote]I know. I wasn’t being sarcastic.

He’d probably do well there.

Not an outrageous idea[/quote]I know. I wasn’t being sarcastic.

He’d probably do well there.[/quote]

I agree. Hope he gets the chance

[quote=“Niner National, post:2, topic:26946”]Let’s see Lewis play before we say he’ll be on the bench.

I personally believe Lewis will be a great college player and look forward to seeing him play, even if it isn’t with us.[/quote]

Lewis is going to be playing a lot this and next year. Lorenzo Brown will probably leave at the end of the year, and Lewis/Barber will fight for the starting job.

So, a head coach who was fired from Charlotte is going to get a head coaching job at a higher profile gig after being an assistant at NCSU? Okay.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:36, topic:26946”]So, a head coach who was fired from Charlotte is going to get a head coaching job at a higher profile gig after being an assistant at NCSU? Okay.[/quote]Weirder things have probably happened. It wouldn’t surprise me, I think he should probably land a mid-major type job that needs rebuilding, however, he may not want to rebuild.

He was mentioned as a candidate for VT multiple times last season.

Strange that being fired has seemingly helped his career.

Strange that being fired has seemingly helped his career.[/quote]

Mentioned as a candidate is the same thing as being hired, you’re right.

Strange that being fired has seemingly helped his career.[/quote]

Mentioned as a candidate is the same thing as being hired, you’re right.[/quote]

Just mentioning where the talk of him going to Wake came from.