Typical

Every time we get the chance to break through, we just can’t convert. It happens time and time again and tonight’s game is not a matter of us losing, but how we lost. I don’t want to hear about Mitchell’s absence. We just don’t play good D for an entire game and when the going get’s tough, Plavich throws up 3s from anywhere.

Iti - does he really play for the team anymore? How about Withers?

I mean really… Eddie started off well, but it all goes to hell when everybody is looking to hand the ball off to Plavich when they are 30 feet from the basket. That coupled with no Defense leads to a 20 point loss.

Oh well, just another familiar chapter in our book.

Well the red sox broke thru this year maybe we will too

In 86 years, get back to me…

Exactly…

And Withers was flat out terrible. His game is not jacking up 3’s (he has a nasty looking jumper to begin with), I think he is trying to show the NBA he can shoot… News flash Curt. YOU CAN’T!!! I fault Lutz for not stopping it. If sitting him for extended periods of time is what it takes to light a fire under his ass then do it.

Did it hurt that Mitch didn’t play? Sure, but save the excuses. We played like clowns on D.

Withers also took way too many 3’s.

I am just flat out sick of Plavich. The damn announcers are talking him up, praising his range and it’s like he’s got a damn headset on out there. Keeps jacking it up, then looking around, and then failing to get back on defense. I don’t know who was guarding Nick Williams, but I think it may have been Plav’s guy, but since he doesn’t make it back over half court after a piss poor 35 footer, we’ll never know who he had on D.

Oh well, like I said, just another opportunity where we have a chance to turn the corner and potentially get noticed/ranked/reckoned with and it just doesn’t happened. Surprised? No. Pissed? Yes.

So many reasons to pull my hair out tonight:

No intensity in 1st 10 minutes of 2nd half
Refs would only let Cincy get physical
Goldwire had too many errors
Grab a damn rebound!
Foul trouble because of ticky tacks
Finally on a national stage, and play the worst half of the year
Somebody guard Nick Williams
Withers invisible

I could keep bitching, but what good would it do? Seems like every time the 9ers are one win away from the top 25, they lay an egg. I wish that whole damn city would fall into the Ohio River.

Thanks Pork Chop, I almost forgot that we got outrebounded by a squad that didn’t have a guy over 6-9.

That was huge as well.

No BS though, Cincy is a very talented team and just imagine if they had shown up in the first half…

We sure did try to bring some weak stuff up around the rim.

Yes besides the blow out, some of those calls were interesting. They must be the Cinci practice refs in the pre-season, because they sure were synchronized.

How many shots did we put in and then after the ball goes in, the refs oh no there was a foul before the shot went off, didn’t they whistle off 2 of our 3’s ?

Their were some other interesting calls, seemed like they were calling two different games depending on which side of the court the game was on.

Did anyone else notice that.

[i]Originally posted by amnesiac[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 09:22 PM [b] Yes besides the blow out, some of those calls were interesting. They must be the Cinci practice refs in the pre-season, because they sure were synchronized.

How many shots did we put in and then after the ball goes in, the refs oh no there was a foul before the shot went off, didn’t they whistle off 2 of our 3’s ?

Their were some other interesting calls, seemed like they were calling two different games depending on which side of the court the game was on.

Did anyone else notice that. [/b]

Yes, Oliver Stone called me and mentioned the same thing.

[i]Originally posted by amnesiac[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 09:22 PM [b] Yes besides the blow out, some of those calls were interesting. They must be the Cinci practice refs in the pre-season, because they sure were synchronized.

Did anyone else notice that. [/b]

I noticed we got bent over like if was our first nite in the big house. The refs had ZERO to do with the result. I just wish it was boxing so they could have stoped the game with 5 minutes left.

[i]Originally posted by ATL_Niner[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 09:02 PM [b] I am just flat out sick of Plavich. [/b]
Plav was the only thing that kept us from getting beat by 30 and you still find a reason to bitch about him.

Get over it. :rolleyes:

[i]Originally posted by Pork Chop[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 09:02 PM [b] So many reasons to pull my hair out tonight:

No intensity in 1st 10 minutes of 2nd half
Refs would only let Cincy get physical
Goldwire had too many errors
Grab a damn rebound!
Foul trouble because of ticky tacks
Finally on a national stage, and play the worst half of the year
Somebody guard Nick Williams
Withers invisible

I could keep bitching, but what good would it do? Seems like every time the 9ers are one win away from the top 25, they lay an egg. I wish that whole damn city would fall into the Ohio River. [/b]

totally agree with u dude… we need to beat marquette first and then we on espn classic on wed jan. 26 against TCU… we will be recognized

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner+Jan 19 2005, 10:43 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MKNiner @ Jan 19 2005, 10:43 PM)
[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Jan 19 2005, 10:08 PM [b] I have to agree. I got anoyed with some of Plavich's shots but when I look back I would rather him take then watch Curtis turn it over or miss easy lay ups inside. [/b]
Kind of ironic because early in the season, every time Plav had the ball I would say to myself "DON'T SHOOT IT!!!" and tonight every time he got the ball, I was screaming for him to shoot, regardless of where he was at on the court. He took a few bad shots tonight but he had no choice given the poor play of our big guys. Blame them tonight, not Plav.

Totally agree man! I’m usually pretty critical of plavich,but tonight noone else could get within the same area code of the basket.I’m usually"why the hell is he takin that shot’…but tonight it was the only entertaining thing.And since noone wants to blame lousy coaching …let me have the honor…here’s what I blame Lutz for…1)continuing to start Martin despite the fact that he does absolutely NOTHING.I swear i’m not a bad person but for the 1st time in my life I was thinking of coming to the TCU game with a blowdart gun and inflicting a "frank the tank’ on him…2)Either coach is totally blind and cannot see how bad Curtis has been or he’s too scared to try to light a fire under him…either way you got 1 of the conferences best players from last year gettin worse…a coach’s job is to motivate…3)teach some FRIGGIN DEFENSE MAN…the only reason they didn’t put 50 up on us in the first half is because they couldn’t hit crap…we don’t box out…we can’t get thru(or set for that matter) decent screens…and half our guys(see B. Plavich) don’t get back on d…i’m out!

Tried not to think it, or say it much before the game but…

(as others have already posted in this thread) We had an opportunity to break into the top 25, a national TV audience, get a big win over a nationally ranked opponent, etc. and we play horrible. Happens every year. I wish I knew how many times it has happened in the past ten years.

Lone bright spot: anyone who thinks that Plav played bad was not watching the same game I did. If he did not score, no one else would have. I wish he would have shot the ball more. Maybe just stop over half court and shoot. No one else did anything.

Other dark spots: Our big(?) men were not even there. Rebound after rebound after rebound went to Cincy. Cincy drives the lane and Iti pushes off and does not get close to blocking a shot. How is he ready for the NBA? He’s not ready for CUSA.

Needed Mitchell bad.

Goldwire: he is a freshman and will learn

Withers: ??? Where was he? Looked lost.

Nance, Iti: ??? Where were they? Looked lost.

Drayton: played OK

Basden: OK but could have been better

I hesitate to tell anyone at work to watch us when we are on TV because this always seems to happen. I don’t mind losing but good grief that was brutal.

I like Bobby but we are starting to look like a poorly coached team. Why can’t we defend the perimeter better? Why can’t we get better looks at baskets on the offensive end??? Do we really not have the talent and depth we thought we had?

Aside from acting like we had never seen ball pressure and starting our offense 30 feet from the basket, was it just me or did we look and act so timid when we got close, that it was like we were scared to go to the rack. We’re supposed to have more size, strength, and depth than ever in the last 20 years and Curt pump fakes 4 times and loses the ball under the basket…Eddie splits the defenders on a break and instead of going in for foul or dunk or both, he pulls up? I was so relieved with Nance came in for Iti. I told my wife, OK, now we’ll see the rebounds even out. And to some degree he helped, but they just beat us to every ball tonight.

What’s with the timid, panzy attitude? And let’s face it, we quit with 4 minutes left down 16. Nobody stepped in or helped in the lane. Maxiell (sp?) et.al could score at will from then on. I think Bobby knoew it made them stay out there w/o even bothering to try to slow it down.

Losing to Cincy is one thing, but playing like you’re scared and then rolling over is something else. Really disappointed with this effort(?)!

[i]Originally posted by JKniner[/i]@Jan 20 2005, 12:10 AM [b] I like Bobby but we are starting to look like a poorly coached team. Why can't we defend the perimeter better? Why can't we get better looks at baskets on the offensive end??? Do we really not have the talent and depth we thought we had? [/b]
I am a huge Lutz fan but if we don't make it out of the 1st round of the NCAA's this year ATLEAST, that will change fast. I am going to see how well he get's the team to respond on Saturday after this defeat.